Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

German toned coin, need help ID and Grade

Hello I dont collect German coins but might make an expception on this one because of the Eye Appeal.
This is a coin my friend has and I need to know how much to pay for it, so....

1). What do you think it grades at?
2). How much is it worth (I don't have a krause on european coins)

BIG PICTURE
BIG PICTURE

THANK YOU

Comments

• coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Hamburg 5 Marks, KM 293.

Mintage: 327,000.

F: $15
    VF: $32
    XF: $60
    UNC: $165

Most common date of the series. Looks like a nice XF/AU, although some of the rim dings might knock it down a peg.
  • MeijiMeiji Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Yhea I agree, the rim ding is pretty bad. Thanks alot for the info, I'll offer him 80 bucks and see if he bites!!
  • A couple of observations: First, I love the toning on the coin and if that is what you are after than make your offer if you can live with the damage... If you are after the design or you are building a German collection I would pass on that one. With patience you will find one without the rim damage for about the same price you are thinking of offering. As a collector of those, the amount of damage would chase me away unless it were a really, really rare coin. Another thing I am kind of leary of is the green I can see on the reverse. Without seeing the coin in hand I can't tell for sure but that looks like the green goo from PVC to me. If it is, make sure you give it an acetone bath if you decide to purchase it.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hamburg 5 Marks, KM 293.

Mintage: 327,000.

F: $15
    VF: $32
    XF: $60
    UNC: $165

Most common date of the series. Looks like a nice XF/AU, although some of the rim dings might knock it down a peg. >>

Too much wear and has a horrible cleaned then retoned coin look. I wouldn't pay more than melt for it
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, the coin is from Hamburg, one of the German States. Almost all of the German States coinage after unification have the German Imperial Eagle on the reverse.

I am not sure about the color/toning on this. I would rather see it in hand.

The rim ding on the reverse hurts this one, but the Funf Mark coins for some reason, seem to be prone to rim dings... sorry but I don't have an explanation as to why...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭
    I don't see the hairlines that would suggest a really harsh cleaning. This kind of gunmetal blue is seen on German medals of that era that rested in velvet presentation cases for decades. To me, it's not unattractive.

• MeijiMeiji Posts: 170 ✭✭

<< <i>Too much wear and has a horrible cleaned then retoned coin look. I wouldn't pay more than melt for it >>

Yes you are right. Upon closer examination, the coin does not exibit any hairlines from a harsh cleaning, but the coin has been polished and retoned. The lions especially have a "mirror - like" reflectivity. I wanted to thank everyone for the input, I will look for a better examples online and pass on this one.
  • UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭

<< <i>
    The rim ding on the reverse hurts this one, but the Funf Mark coins for some reason, seem to be prone to rim dings... sorry but I don't have an explanation as to why... >>

As for the rim dings, these coins are large and heavy (27,778g).
    When they fall down, they will land with the edge first and will get a ding.
    It's so easy, it's Murphy's law and it happens all the time. image
    imageimage
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for the rim dings, these coins are large and heavy (27,778g).
    When they fall down, they will land with the edge first and will get a ding.
    It's so easy, it's Murphy's law and it happens all the time.

that sums it up... its kinda like dropping toast on the floor... the side with the jam or peanut butter hits the floor. Thats just the way it is... Been there and done that

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• I got one of those...