Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I AM Thinking of Selling my Set 71/72 opc nhl set..

Guys...I need your professional and serious opinion here.....as some of you know, I have been working and building
on a 71/72 opc nhl set with the goal of having the highest rated set....I own 17 PSA 10's from this set alone includin
the Ken Dryden PSA 10 Rookie Card one of one...indeed, I have about 70 cards here that are one of one's and highest
rated...

Here is the url for the set....

http://www.psacard.com/set_registry/display_cards.chtml?rsetid=58530&alltime=no&rank=5&tied=0&requesttimeout=9999

I have I think 184 Graded cards...

I have been offered 32 000 US for these 184 cards...I was asking a little more...

My question to you guys is, should I sell....take into account I do not have a huge
sentimental attachment to these cards....

Let's look at it as a financial transaction....Should I hold onto them knowing that this set
is only going to go up...especially the PSA 10 Ken Dryden Card alone....Or do I look at this
and say to myself...Wow...this is a good deal for me?

I want some of your expertise here....

Thanks

Comments

• link

I am not a Hockey collector,

but,

$32,000 for 184 cards breaks down to $173/ card...

It would be tough for me not to take that deal....

Good luck to you either way....

• Thanks...anyone else....
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    you know much more than I ever will about hockey, but you should have a better sense than most of how the set is going to be long term. I would hold onto them if you truly feel that way about their future, that is if money is not in the equation.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is within 10% of your sell price and you don't have to use a middle man to get it I would think strongly about selling. Or you could list is on ebay with a buy-it-now of $50k and see what offers you get - best way to get a second opinion.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • And you have to also take into consideration that some of your 1 of 1 10s might becme 1 of 2s or even 1 of 3s. Unless you destroy yours, the pops will never go down.
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much are you into the cards for? Is taking $32,000 a profit or a loss?
  • “A well regulated populace being necessary to the security of a police state, the right of the government to keep and destroy arms shall not be infringed.”
  • If it's within 10-15% of your asking price, I'd consider selling.

Or break it and sell the key cards to other 71 OPC collectors. Not many people have $30 k to blow at once, what would it sell for piece by piece?

Long term, the pops are bound to go up on any set post 70, any sport. Financially, I might put the money into rare boxes and packs. You won't have the same upside potential as psa pop 1 or 2's, where you might make 500 or 1,000% on a card. But you dont have the downside, low pops can fall much further than rare wax, percentage wise.
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Assuming you're not taking a loss - and I'm guessing you're not at $32 grand - I'd sell.

As others have said, pops can only go up over time. And I'm sure you have beautiful cards from what is probably the marquee set of the expansion era, but one of the factors that turned me off to high-grade set building was the realization that so much of the value of what I was collecting was a function of the label and plastic and not of the cardboard itself. I'm not necessarily a doomsayer, but it's not a certainty that collector confidence in PSA 9's and 10's will remain stable over the long haul.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I don't know if there's a more poorly operated professional sport than the National Hockey League. I think we all need to be somewhat concerned that collecting doesn't seem to have the same appeal to today's kids as it did to my fellow children of the '80s or to previous generations. It's conceivable that demand for sportscards could decline over time, particularly with regard to hockey. The perspective might be a bit different in Canada, but a large percentage of American sports fans probably wouldn't even notice if the NHL folded tomorrow.

Being that you don't seem to be particularly attached to the set, I'm sure you could find more personally satisfying and/or less risky ways to allocate $32,000 in hobby funds.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Well to be honest I have put about 30000 into it...and I think I can get a little more then 32000 for the set as I
    am negotiating right now.....it really is a hard call for me....

Their is no middle man which is nice....however, what do you guys think if I were to put it on
    a major auction house? Is the potential there to get more?

I have about 60 cards that I am missing from this set waiting to be graded and they are all high grade...in reality,
    I need about 19 more cards to finish the set...and most of those are 2nd Series and not expensive cards...even
    in PSA 9 quality....

The Dryden card is what concerns me the most...I just rather doubt their will ever be another PSA 10 of that card..and
    it is the main card of this set of one of the great goalies of all time from the most legendary team, Montreal Canadiens.....

That card is the loss leader.......I was willing to pay up to 12000 US at the time for that card (14500 Canadian)......

Anyways, thanks for any further insight you may have!

• yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Mastro has realized some outstanding prices on prewar sets, but I haven't paid close enough attention to their postwar offerings. It would probably make sense to complete the set before consigning it, should you go that route. However, what might not make sense is the fact that the segment of collectors willing to spend $30,000+ on a modern hockey set is probably very, very small. It might be easier and more profitable for you to just negotiate directly with those collectors than to rely on Mastro or some other venue.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    This sounds crazy but I would complete the set graded, buy a PSA 9 Dryden, then sell the complete set and PSA 10 Dryden through an auction house separately. I figure about 20-25k for the set with PSA 9 Dryden and 15k for the PSA 10 Dryden is realistic.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This sounds crazy but I would complete the set graded, buy a PSA 9 Dryden, then sell the complete set and PSA 10 Dryden through an auction house separately. I figure about 20-25k for the set with PSA 9 Dryden and 15k for the PSA 10 Dryden is realistic. >>

And do it before your Dryden 1/1 becomes a 1/2 or more.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭
    I would figure out a price that you could live with and sell privately. There is no way I would trust the success of a hockey set to a US based auction house. Simply no way. I don't think I could live with the risk that it would sell for $20K to someone unknowledgeable.

As a general rule nothing from the '70s is increasing in value over time. Maybe your set is an exception, but I like to stick with the odds in most cases.

• Selling the 10 Dryden seperately would be smart, and putting a 9 in its place if you sell the set complete.

yawie hit the nail on the head about the value of collections being a function of the label and plastic, not the cardboard.
  • Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

If you can make a profit--Great!! But since there is no sentimental value to you and you are looking at +$2G's profit--Sell. What do you care if you know it is only going to go up in value? Then why bother selling it. I'm glad i sold my #1 Carew Master Set for a profit when i did as a majority of his cards dropped. Sell it 2 years from now for maybe $40,000. How bad do you need your investment back, is the real question here?

Just my .02 worth
  • I appreciate all of your comments guys....the idea about selling the Dryden Separately is appealling...the thing is, can
    I trust the auction houses to get me a good price? I mean guys...remember that I got that Dryden at an incredibly low
    price of 4000 Bucks a couple of years ago...

WE ALL know it is worth FAR FAR more then that...I wouldn't sell it separately for less then 10000.....

If you guys have any further insight, please share.......this is a very very tough decision for me....

• CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    sagard makes a good point about selling hockey in a US based auction house. You might want to see how Maestro, Memory Lane, and Mile High have done with hockey over the last year. Maybe something comparable to your set has sold that will give you a benchmark.