Home PSA Set Registry Forum

All-Time Cowboys Registry Set

Where can I find the qualifications and instructions for adding players to this and other Registry sets?

Thank you,

Danny
Collecting Dallas Cowboys Rookies and Team Sets 1960-1989

Comments

• JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Danny,

Here are the only instructions given by PSA for HOF and Key card sets:

"HOF and Key Card Sets:
    Additions to the HOF and Key Card sets are possible. Every year new HOF inductions are made. In addition, some players may have performed well enough in recent years to warrant addition to All-Time sets. In some cases only one card will qualify for addition to the set. In some cases, several cards may qualify and members participating in the set will be polled for their opinion. The majority vote will determine which card is added. If less than 50% of the members polled respond, then experts at PSA will select the card for addition. If a rookie card is to be added, the card selected must be considered one of the most popular and no autographed, jersey or insert cards will qualify."

Basically, you just e-mail PSA at setregistry@collectors.com with the players name, and card you want added to the Registry. PSA will usually (not always for some reason) send a poll to all other participants of that particular Registry set asking for a vote YES or NO.

They will add or deny based on the vote. Its pretty easy, time frame of 3-6 weeks to get the card actually added.

Jason

Edited to add:

Also, if you post your pending request here or send out an e-mail to the other Cowboys set guys first, you can likely determine if it's worth the time making the request. Call it a PRE-vote..lol...This is usually what I do and it may give you an idea if they guy will likely be added or not. If I don't think the guy or card will get the votes I don't waste time making the request. But if you explain your reasoning here or via e-mail to the other collector's, you may be able to sway some votes and ensure it gets added. Better odds then simply sending out a cold vote from left field..lol

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Hi Jason,

Thank you for the info. I like the idea of having a pre-vote in the forum... good idea! I will submit my additions to these sets in the near future for a pre-vote and feedback.

Thank you again for your help!

Danny
  • Danny:

Here are my thoughts about the Cowboy Registries.

I think we need to rename and move the Cowboy All-Time Rookie set . I think we move it to the Hall of Fame section and call it Dallas Cowboys Hall of Fame. Sort of the same way the Green Bay Packer HOF is set up. This set should only include first cards of a player in a cowboy uniform...RC or not. I would also add Novacek (1st cowboy card), TO(1st cowboy card), Barber and Romo and I would also remove the Q. How he got there I'll never know. Also we might consider coaches cards like Landry and Jimmy Johnson

As far as the All-Time Cowboys list I would keep it like it is with only rookie cards Cowboy uniform or not. With no additions at this time.

What are some other Cowboy registriy collectors thought?

David (SUPERDAVE)
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Dave,

Thanks for the input... like you, I'd like to discuss these sets here in the forum.

I'll post some questions for discussion in a few!

Danny

• Dave,

Regarding the Cowboys All-Time Registry set, do you know why the following players not included in the set?

Erik Williams
    Mark Stepnoski

Thanks,

Danny
  • Danny:
    As far as Erik Williams Mark Stepnoski goes i would vote them in the All-Time if nominated. I also think Danny White and Charlie Waters deserve to be on the All-Time Team as well as maybe Daryl Johnston

And just off the top of my head other cowboys that might be Cowboy HOF material but maybe not All-Time Cowboys
    1. Lance Alworth
    2. Larry Cole
    3.Jackie Smith
    4.Mike Ditka
    5.Terrance Newman
    6.Demarcus Ware
    7. Micheal Downs
    8. Charles Haley
    9. Deon Sanders
    10 Dennis Thurman

Great Discussion Danny

David(SUPERDAVE)
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson

<< <i>Dave,

Regarding the Cowboys All-Time Registry set, do you know why the following players not included in the set?

Erik Williams
    Mark Stepnoski

Thanks,

Danny >>

Well, I no longer collect the set, so won't be voting. But here are their qualifications:

Stepnoski- 9 years with the Cowboys, played in 3 Pro Bowls for them and was never a Cowboys 1st Team All-Pro. He did get 2 Super Bowl rings as a starting Center with them.

Williams- 10 years with the Cowboys, played in 4 Pro Bowls for them, and was a 1st Team All-Pro selection 2 times. He earned 3 Super Bowl rings.

Remember Stepnoski left for a big Free Agent contract to the Houston Oilers after the 94 season and went to 2 more Pro Bowls with them. But if you are adding to an all-time TEAM set, it really should be based on what that player did with THAT team.

I think both of these guys are at the very least in the discussion as belonging.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

<< <i>Danny:
    As far as Erik Williams Mark Stepnoski goes i would vote them in the All-Time if nominated. I also think Danny White and Charlie Waters deserve to be on the All-Time Team as well as maybe Daryl Johnston

And just off the top of my head other cowboys that might be Cowboy HOF material but maybe not All-Time Cowboys
    1. Lance Alworth
    2. Larry Cole
    3.Jackie Smith
    4.Mike Ditka
    5.Terrance Newman
    6.Demarcus Ware
    7. Micheal Downs
    8. Charles Haley
    9. Deon Sanders
    10 Dennis Thurman

Great Discussion Danny

David(SUPERDAVE) >>

Dave,

I didn't request this set, but I do have some info on it. I am the originator of the All-Time Cowboys set. The All-Time Cowboys Rookie set was already there when I found the Registry, but I requested the 2nd All-Time Great set, because I didn't know what the rookies set was supposed to be. I asked PSA Registry folks some background on it and was told that the set is compromised of players who were important/significant players AS A COWBOYS ROOKIE. I guess that means if they had a descent rookie season for the Cowboys, they were put on the set. Never really made much sense to me, which is why I never collected it, but whoever originally requested it, that was the backdrop.

I think you have a couple of options though.

1- You can ask PSA (Cosetta, Gayle or BJ SHOULD be able to help) to dig up their archives (this set was already here when I found the Registry in 2002) and see what the actually standards are for adding players.

OR

2- You can just make the request and more than likely, one of the Registry folks will just send out a poll without questioning if the player belongs or not. I've seen this happen a couple of times recently. Your issue then will be, will you get the votes? I'm fairly certain all of the cards listed are TRUE rookies, plus are in COWBOYS uniforms. A T.O. card from 2006 may not get the votes as it is 10 years removed from being a rookie card.

Let us know how it turns out!
    Jason

• jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Danny:

Here are my thoughts about the Cowboy Registries.

I think we need to rename and move the Cowboy All-Time Rookie set . I think we move it to the Hall of Fame section and call it Dallas Cowboys Hall of Fame. Sort of the same way the Green Bay Packer HOF is set up. This set should only include first cards of a player in a cowboy uniform...RC or not. I would also add Novacek (1st cowboy card), TO(1st cowboy card), Barber and Romo and I would also remove the Q. How he got there I'll never know. Also we might consider coaches cards like Landry and Jimmy Johnson

As far as the All-Time Cowboys list I would keep it like it is with only rookie cards Cowboy uniform or not. With no additions at this time.

What are some other Cowboy registriy collectors thought?

David (SUPERDAVE) >>

SuperDave,

The only difference is that the Green Bay Packer HOF actually exists. A real place, not a mytical place. There are exhibits as well as info on all members. The members have been voted in by a panel. The make up of this set is based on that vote, just like the pro-football HOF. Only additions can be made based on election to the GBP HOF.

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Hi Dave,

With the help of participating Cowboys collectors, we need to update the All-Time Cowboys and All-Time Cowboys Rookie sets. I'll be joining the All-Time Cowboys set soon. Like Jason suggested, I'll contact Cosetta about locating the original requirements for the set. Off the top of my head, here is a list of possible player additions.

All-Time Cowboys
    Jethro Pugh
    Larry Cole
    Danny White
    Daryl Johnston
    Erik Williams
    Mark Stepnoski

All-Time Rookies
    Eugene Lockhart
    Terrance Newman
    Demarcus Ware
    Dennis Thurman
    Benny Barnes
    Larry Cole

Your thoughts?

Danny

• gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Is anyone interested in a NM/MT 2003 Bowman Tony Romo rc in NM/MT condition for $25 dlvd? I also have for sale:

2 40661049 1982 TOPPS 309 DOUG COSBIE N/A 9ST $8
    3 40661052 1982 TOPPS 327 EVERSON WALLS N/A 8 $15
    11 40661066 1991 SCORE 85T ERIK WILLIAMS SUPPLEMENTAL 9 $15
    11 40661068 1991 SCORE 85T ERIK WILLIAMS SUPPLEMENTAL 9 $15

Regards

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Danny:
    List looks good to me.....what cards did you have in mind for the Lockhart and Ware? If you want a good reference for most any Cowboy card ever printed go to Cowboy Cards.com players list. Very extensive with checklist and a scan of most every card. Great website for the Cowboy card fan.
    David (Superdave)
  • Dave,

For the All-Time Cowboys Rookies set...

Eugene Lockhart
    1989 Pro Set #92

Terrance Newman
    2003 Topps Chrome #238

DeMarcus Ware
    2005 Topps Chrome #213

How do those look? Anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks,
    Danny

• << <i>Hi Dave,

With the help of participating Cowboys collectors, we need to update the All-Time Cowboys and All-Time Cowboys Rookie sets. I'll be joining the All-Time Cowboys set soon. Like Jason suggested, I'll contact Cosetta about locating the original requirements for the set. Off the top of my head, here is a list of possible player additions.

All-Time Cowboys
    Jethro Pugh
    Larry Cole
    Danny White
    Daryl Johnston
    Erik Williams
    Mark Stepnoski

All-Time Rookies
    Eugene Lockhart
    Terrance Newman
    Demarcus Ware
    Dennis Thurman
    Benny Barnes
    Larry Cole

Your thoughts?

Danny >>

Hey Guys,

Gotta have Charlie Waters on the All Time list as well..........

Brian
    Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers
  • Hey Brian,

Yea, I agree!

If I were voting on the guys you listed for the All-Time Cowboys set, I would vote YES on:

Erik Williams
    Charlie Waters

These others were all fine players, but to me not quite on the level of the other players on the set. I think you risk watering the set down (see the Raiders set as an example) if you start adding a bunch of good, but not great players for the Cowboys. Had Stepnoski stayed in Dallas, then I would probably say yes on him, but he really only had a couple of really good seasons in Dallas. If you start adding every guy who just had a few really good seasons, the set is going to get REALLY big and end up being the All-Time Goods rather than All-Time Greats...

Were the rest of those guys REALLY great for long enough to be worthy of the set? They don't have to be HOFers, but I would think you would want guys who at least would get some HOF type consideration.

Just my opinion,
    Jason
  • Danny:
    I like your choice of players and cards go for it and majority will rule
    David (Superdave)

• << <i>If I were voting on the guys you listed for the All-Time Cowboys set, I would vote YES on:

Erik Williams
    Charlie Waters

These others were all fine players, but to me not quite on the level of the other players on the set. I think you risk watering the set down (see the Raiders set as an example) if you start adding a bunch of good, but not great players for the Cowboys. Had Stepnoski stayed in Dallas, then I would probably say yes on him, but he really only had a couple of really good seasons in Dallas. If you start adding every guy who just had a few really good seasons, the set is going to get REALLY big and end up being the All-Time Goods rather than All-Time Greats...

Were the rest of those guys REALLY great for long enough to be worthy of the set? They don't have to be HOFers, but I would think you would want guys who at least would get some HOF type consideration.

Just my opinion,
    Jason >>

Jason is correct about letting the set get too big-a couple of years ago PSA trimmed the All Time rookies set because it was too large & full of "not so great" players (I remember Licoln Coleman as one of the players dropped from the list).

Brian
    Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Just thought I'd point this out because I'd like to see the guy get his card......

Link