Home Sports Talk
Options

Will Tony Larussa be the next Yankees Skipper?

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
He did say he wanted to wait a bit after the season to see if he would be back as manager of the Cards..

I wonder if he is waiting to see if Torre gets the AX?

Comments

• Options
    I didn't think that he would have a shot, but he would bring his pitching coach, Duncan, with him. Duncan has an awesome rep. Considering all of the young arm talent we suddenly have it might not be such a bad idea.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    LaRussa doesnt have the personality to do NY media or NY upper management. Though he is a very good and proven manager, just dont think he is a NY kind of guy.

IF Torre's reign is over, I sure hope it's Girardi taking his place.
  • Options

<< <i>LaRussa doesnt have the personality to do NY media or NY upper management. Though he is a very good and proven manager, just dont think he is a NY kind of guy.

IF Torre's reign is over, I sure hope it's Girardi taking his place. >>

That's for sure. The media will most definitely send him to an early grave.

Girardi vote here too image
  • Options
    I'd vote for Girardi as well.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    As much as I like Mattingly, I think he's a bit of a dry personality. Not sure he would be the best of motivators.

Girardi is a player's type manager. Was a leader on the field when he played. I enjoy listening to him commentate because he is a real thinker and has really good baseball knowledge and really believes in the fundementals.
  • Options

<< <i>LaRussa doesnt have the personality to do NY media or NY upper management. >>

What could possibly make you say that? He's a hell of a lot more proven than before Torre went to NY, since Torre was a career .476 manager prior to his landing the Yanks job. Larussa is a career .534 manager, 2 time world series winner, etc. etc. He's more qualified to take over than Torre was when he did.

How exactly is Girardi going to manage guys he played with? You say Larussa doesn't have the personality but somehow Giardi does?

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I much rather see Torre again, but Girardi is certainly a great manager too. I can understand Mattingly being perceived as dry and might not make the best manager--I know where you are coming from. Mattingly has not been in the spotlight much this past year, so I think he is a bit mysterious as far as what kind of manager he will actually make. We all know what Girardi can do, but Mattingly is so quiet to the point where you really don't know him. I can offer a different view on Mattingly. He was a good Yankee captain that all players respected--you know, the "aura." I think that is what will carry him being a manager. He is so much more than a quiet and dry type leader. He has a sort of respectability that players will resonate with. He is not fiery or animated (except as last resort), but there is something else about him. Besides, he can handle NY atmosphere, is already a fan favorite and the current players are already use to him.

As for LaRussa and Dave Duncan. No doubt these guys are excellent baseball tacticians and player developers. I have always liked seeing a pitcher perceived as being washed up get taken by Dave Duncan and then made into an ace again. Look at the career of Andy Benes and see before and after Duncan makeover. Duncan can analyze a pitcher and know what he can tell them to do to be more effective. He is the best pitching coach from what I can tell.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

<< <i>I much rather see Torre again, but Girardi is certainly a great manager too. >>

Wow, based on one year? How can we tell he's a 'great manager'?

<< <i> We all know what Girardi can do, >>

Again, how do we 'know what Girardi can do'? One year?

<< <i> but Mattingly is so quiet to the point where you really don't know him. I can offer a different view on Mattingly. He was a good Yankee captain that all players respected--you know, the "aura." I think that is what will carry him being a manager. He is so much more than a quiet and dry type leader. He has a sort of respectability that players will resonate with. He is not fiery or animated (except as last resort), but there is something else about him. Besides, he can handle NY atmosphere, is already a fan favorite and the current players are already use to him. >>

Players being used to a guy would work against him I think. These guys need a shakeup, they need someone to get them back on edge a little bit, get rid of that comfort level that's allowed them to lose 4 consecutive series.

I think Larussa is just what this team needs to be competitive again.
  • Options
    If Larussa were hired as NY manager he would quit or be fired within 6 months. He does not have the demeanor to handle New York media. He can barely handle St. Louis Media.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    HICCUP
  • Options
    WFFLWFFL Posts: 495 ✭✭✭
    I believe Arod, Jeter, Posada, Rivera and possibly a few others will have a big influence in what the Yankees do for the future with their manager situation.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    not joeimage-i bet he just got sick of george and told him to stick it-not like he needs the $ or anything, id just sit back and watch yanks next year and call george every time they lost a game to put salt in the wound!