Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Problems with GAI Input appreciated

Most of the board member know that I buy and sell lots of cards online. I bought a 66 GAI 8 Series 1 pack on ebay the other day. I cracked the slab and opened the pack and guess what, it was a Series 2 pack. Series 1 contains the Mantle, Mays, Rose, Koufax, Palmer RC and others. Series 2 contains almost all commons. Safe to say I paid a premium for the series 1 pack. I have been trying to contact GAI for 2 days now. I keep getting redirected to different people and getting the run-around. I spoke to Danny Fisher today who actually told me that I'm probably upset that I didn't get the Mantle and that calls like this have become a nuisance. Am I wrong that I should receive some sort of compensation since I bought a pack that was mislabeled? Isn't their job to correctly authenticate an item? It's amazing that the only thing that is 100% objective in grading can get screwed up. Your input is appreciated. If you think that I'm in the wrong, feel free to state your opinion. This issue seems very black and white to me.
-Ryan

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Ryan-

Perhaps it is somewhat difficult now for you to prove that the pack you cracked is indeed the one you say it is. It would be different if, for example, you opened up the pack at a GAI table and they saw you pull all these Series II commons from a pack they labelled as Series I.

All that said -- GAI has had numerous problems in the pack grading department. I am empathetic to your situation. However -- the experience of many of my collecting friends is that you have an uphill battle to get any remuneration back from GAI.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I have no advice at all, only my condolences. That really sucks, another reason GAI is full of it.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭
    The main problem is now that the pack is cracked from the slab, you really can't prove THAT pack from misgraded anymore....but you never would've known if you would've have opened it....kind of a catch 22...

Don't know what to tell you bro.

I have a GAI slabbed 8.5 '72 Topps pack, and I can press the wrapper down on the front and see that Cesar Geronimo is on top (proving what series it's from).

If you can't see some sort of indicator before the pack is opened, I don't see how it's possible to dictate what series it's from.
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking the same thing. GAI can inspect the pack to see if it's been openned (which they seemed to have done), but other than that, I can't see how they can really determine what series it's from without some sort of markings on the wrapping. How would PSA approach this problem? I would imagine they're in the same boat.
  • Options
    Ryan,
    I feel your pain. I think GAI should honor the fact they labelled the pack wrong as you are paying for the cards that could be potentially be in the pack. Keep up the pressure on them and let the board know how you are being treated. I know it will affect my future buying descisions on GAI slabbed packs. Jim
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryan

I'm really sorry to hear about this and agree with the input you've received.

Who is head of pack grading there? Who is the current CEO/prez?

I doubt if you'll get any compensation since they'll have some kind of "out."

But, if ya want to get their attention? A politely written letter to the head guy will get someone's attention; especially if it's registered/return receipt required.

I can - possibly - see them giving you some grading vouchures? Talk about irony!

Good luck - I'll be interested to see how they handle this.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Well, I do have some sort of evidence. The pack was a cello pack. And I guess you could say that I should've looked at the card on the front and back and researched the card numbers (but isn't that the graders responsibility) and I got in contact with the seller to keep the picture. I still have the slab, too. The card on top was Manny Mota and Pat Corales is on the back. Both which proves that this is a series 2 pack. That may be enough evidence, don't you think?
    -Ryan
  • Options

<< <i> GAI can inspect the pack to see if it's been openned (which they seemed to have done), but other than that, I can't see how they can really determine what series it's from without some sort of markings on the wrapping. >>

I was told once that if you hold the pack in the light properly you can see who is the last card in the pack and this is how they tell what series the pack is. I don't know if this is true or not but that's what I heard.
  • Options
    If you cant clearly see the card on the back or tell by wrapper variations, any pack should just be labeled as a 1966. Period.
    With the value of packs residing mainly with who is included in the series of a pack, mislabeling a pack if you are not 100% sure is not acceptable.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Ryan if that pack went for around $375 I remember looking at it with my father in law, and checking mota. He's #111 or 112 or something, just up from the series 2 break. The seller on that one had the guy's name on the back wrong, like morales instead of corrales?

I remember we looked up to see who could be in the set, and mota was series 2 so we didn't bid. I think we sent the seller a message that it was series 2, not sure if he got it in time since it was the day the auction ended.

It's possible GAI is going to blame you for not looking. I've been hearing and reading lately that the customer service there is pretty awful.

Good luck, you're entitled to at least a partial refund IMHO.

Edited to add I found the auction I was talking about, looks like it's yours -

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The pack was a cello pack. >>

I don't think you have any recourse based on this. The fact that you knew what the 2 cards were and you knew who was in the series 1 ( meaning you knew the #'s of all those cards) , how did you not know what series pack you were opening?

GAI should still pay attention to what they are labeling but it is a clerical error in this case. it's too bad you did not pick up on it before but I can't see how you are going to get them to do anything since the cards were clearly visable.

if psa labels a T206 card a honus wagner when it is hans wagner do they owe you $2.5 million? image i remember actually seeing this which is the reason for the wink
  • Options
    Actually Mota and Corrales are 2nd series
    Series 1 goes to 88 so this is a mechanical error which should have been spotted before buying or opening
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The pack was a cello pack. >>

I don't think you have any recourse based on this. The fact that you knew what the 2 cards were and you knew who was in the series 1 ( meaning you knew the #'s of all those cards) , how did you not know what series pack you were opening?

GAI should still pay attention to what they are labeling but it is a clerical error in this case. it's too bad you did not pick up on it before but I can't see how you are going to get them to do anything since the cards were clearly visable.

if psa labels a T206 card a honus wagner when it is hans wagner do they owe you $2.5 million? image i remember actually seeing this which is the reason for the wink >>

One of my favorite labelling errors of all time!

Mike
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Series 1 goes to 88 >>

Is this correct for 66? I have a sheet with both Palmer and Morgan on it which would suggest that the series were more , if they were 88, then these 2 could not be on the same sheet? any help is appreciated
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I think series 1 goes to 109, not positive.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Nice to see that GAI'S customer care goes hand in hand with PSA'S!!!!!!!!image
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Most of the board member know that I buy and sell lots of cards online. I bought a 66 GAI 8 Series 1 pack on ebay the other day. I cracked the slab and opened the pack and guess what, it was a Series 2 pack. Series 1 contains the Mantle, Mays, Rose, Koufax, Palmer RC and others. Series 2 contains almost all commons. Safe to say I paid a premium for the series 1 pack. I have been trying to contact GAI for 2 days now. I keep getting redirected to different people and getting the run-around. I spoke to Danny Fisher today who actually told me that I'm probably upset that I didn't get the Mantle and that calls like this have become a nuisance. Am I wrong that I should receive some sort of compensation since I bought a pack that was mislabeled? Isn't their job to correctly authenticate an item? It's amazing that the only thing that is 100% objective in grading can get screwed up. Your input is appreciated. If you think that I'm in the wrong, feel free to state your opinion. This issue seems very black and white to me. >>

I would talk to Steve Rocci or Mike Baker on this as both are decent guys. You absolutely should receive compensation, I would bich and moan until I got something from them. I have dealt with Danny Fisher and he's a Dick. Very poor on customer service and if I were PSA, I don't think I'd be too unhappy that he left. chaz
  • Options

<< <i>I think series 1 goes to 109, not positive. >>

I think so Jim.

The new Standard Catalog by Krause doesn't give the series - an older Beckett catalog has them:

Series 1 - 1-109
    Series 2 - 110-196
    Series 3 - 197-283
    Series 4 - 284-370
    Series 5 - 371-446
    Series 6 - 447-522
    Series 7 - 523-598

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Well, GAI has granted me grading vouchers, but I am not a GAI memeber. I guess I'll try them since I'll be getting quite a few vouchers for free. It's rather ironic that I'm going to submit cards to them yet I'm still considering not buying anything GAI anymore. I think that since they have made an attempt to resolve the error and that they stood by their product says something.
    -Ryan