Options

Does anybody know what this is?

Size is about same as a half dollar.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    It's a bronze follis of Tiberius II Constantine from 578-582 A.D. Unfortunately, it appears to have bronze disease.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options

<< <i>It's a bronze follis of Tiberius II Constantine from 578-582 A.D. Unfortunately, it appears to have bronze disease. >>

DARN, I WAS JUST ABOUT TO SAY THAT!!! image wait...what...?
    J.Cordeiro
    "I has a bucket." - Minazo.
    Minazo the LOLRUS, 1994-2005
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image wait...what...? >>

It's from the Byzantine empire. Constantinople mint, officina delta (mint branch office No. 4). ANNO GI means "year 7", dating this coin to 580/581 AD. The large "M" is the denomination-mark; M is the Greek number 40, and there were 40 nummi to a follis.

A very nice specimen, clear and readable, except for the verdigris - the pale green fluffy stuff on both sides, which can slowly spread and turn the whole coin into a crumbly mess if it isn't treated or sealed up nice and airtight.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the excellant replies. What is the best way to remove or neutralize the verdigris?

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the best way to remove or neutralize the verdigris? >>

A much-debated question. Down the bottom of this old thread there's a few pointers. Personally, I've used:

Olive oil - takes a long, long time - patience! - I've got a quadrans of Claudius that's been sitting in oil for a few months now. I'm making progress. image

The potato method - tried it only the once; didn't work too well for me.

Lab-grade concentrated ammonia - worked like a charm on a modern copper token, and much faster, but many purists are probably grinding their teeth right now at the thought of coins swilling around in industrial chemicals. I'd be reluctant to try ammonia on an ancient coin with the uncertainty about it's composition, and I wouldn't recommend anyone using heavy-duty ammonia without a heavy-duty ventilation system.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some ammonia but I dont like what it does to copper so I will probably get the olive oil out and let it sit.

Thank you.image

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Off-topic, but speaking of that link, what ever became of Coindexter? I miss him.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.