Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What was your worst impulsive overbudget/overspending incident on an auction?

It's been a while since we've talked about something like this and we have a lot of new people.

Mine was in 1994 - I bid the minimum on about 7 lots - it was at the National - I got ALL of them!

I received a bill for 5400$!!!!

My wife went all balistic on me.

I still have the cards today - it's turned out pretty darn well.

But at the moment - I was pretty messed up - break out the credit card! image

What's yours?
mike
Mike

Comments

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    What were they, Mike?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A guy had virtually a complete set of 52 topps on ebay about 3 - 4 years ago - all raw. I had bought from him before and was always happy with the quality. All the cards were there except for the Mantle, Mathews and a few others, and most all the other high numbers were there. It was one auction for each card.

There was one really nice high number, I still have it raw and it's probably a solid PSA 6, which I won and that's the only card I intended to buy. Making a long story short, I went into a feeding frenzy, and I bought 11 other high numbers rolling into the 4 figures total.

Loved the cards though! What the heck - it's only money. LOL
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    Mine would be.......right now. I don't exactly have any extra money but decided to buy a bunch of signed memorabilia from a now defunct card shop and pay in three installments. Instead of dipping into the little bit of money in my bank account, I am trying to fund each payment by selling a bunch of other stuff I have on eBay. Anyways, the lot includes (3) signed framed HOF football jerseys, (2) unframed signed HOF football jerseys (3) signed HOF mini helmets, (2) unframed HOF signed 16x20's, (1) framed signed 16x20, and (2) unframed 8x10's. I will post photos when I receive all of the items but this is WAY OVER MY CURRENT BUDGET. Probably stupid to do but I will treasure most of these items for a long time.

- Joe
  • Options
    About 6 months ago I had a cold spell on ebay with my snipes over 5 weeks. I think I won like 2 items in 30 or so lots I bid on, was getting upset so I set up 12 snipes the next weekend, hoping I would win at least 2. Well I end up winning 10 of them with a bill around $1400 (mainly Clemente items), ouch when I was thinking of only spending $300. I was happy with the prices I paid, I was just not expecting to have to pay for all that at once. Glad I don't have a wife to report to, haha.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    The very first PSA 10 1991 Topps Desert Shield Roger Clemens. I had to have it - at over $1850.

Actually, I was cruising along at less half that price when someone tried to snipe the bid with a bid of $1800. Since my high bid was over 2k, I still won the auction. To this day, I believe it was a shill and I got ripped off.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Mine was buying a 1975 Topps Mini Box and when sending my Ryans and Aarons in for grading they came back as miscuts and there was no Bretts or Younts in the box.A majority of the cards were off center and many were short cut (Mike Schmidt).

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What were they, Mike? >>

Drew

Not sure where the receipt is - I didn't keep records as well back then.

But the 4 I definitely remember:

1. 1932 US Caramel Cochrane PSA 8
    2. 48B Baugh PSA 8
    3. 57T #95 Mantle PSA 8 OC
    4. 57T #407 Mantle/Berra PSA 8 OC

I can't remember what else? I'm gonna have to find that receipt I guess.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>About 6 months ago I had a cold spell on ebay with my snipes over 5 weeks. I think I won like 2 items in 30 or so lots I bid on, was getting upset so I set up 12 snipes the next weekend, hoping I would win at least 2. Well I end up winning 10 of them with a bill around $1400 (mainly Clemente items), ouch when I was thinking of only spending $300. I was happy with the prices I paid, I was just not expecting to have to pay for all that at once. Glad I don't have a wife to report to, haha. >>

Sounds good!

Isn't it amazing how ya can go broke...saving money on ebay? image

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    another great one

bought a PSA 4 Walter johson and paid Cobb $$ for it duh