Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Had my first Auction draft last night! WOW!

First I have to say, I am a late adopter of the auction style. I thought it would be way too confusing and in my $105 entry league, a bit spendy to "try it out". I got invited to a buddies league last minute and gave it a shot. I have to say, WOW! Where has this concept been all my life? And why didn't I adopt it much sooner!?!?!

So much more fun than a regular draft, so much fairer and it requires a bit more strategy than "will that guy be there on the way back down". I loved it, wish I could convince my league on Thursday to change but it's too late now.

Since I know you fantasy geeks will love looking at my roster (I know I do) here it is.

10 team league, there were two "FNG's". Myself and a clownshoe that bid $7 for the Bears.
14 man roster. Must start 1QB, 2RB, 3 WR/TE 1K, 1 DEF. $100 cap.

Donovan McNabb $5
Jon Kitna $2

Larry Johnson $40
Chester Taylor $3
Laurence Maroney $10
Clinton Portis $9
Chris Henry (TEN) $1
DeAngelo Williams $3

Steve Smith $16
Santana Moss $4
Deion Branch $3
B. Berrian $1

Vinatieri $2

Steelers $1

I couldn't pass up Kitna for $2. I had $15 allocated for my starting qb. Manning went for $20, Palmer $14 and Brady (the guy I wanted) for $16. Palmer went off the board after McNabb, who for $5, was a steal. I didn't mean to win Portis or Maroney and was just bidding them up so I could get Ronnie Brown but for $9 and $10, I cannot complain.

Spent less than I wanted to on my top 2 RB's (I allocated $55) and I spent less on my QB and more on my WR's but that's ok. I feel I got great depth at RB and got good value on just about everyone. LJ probably should have been a $37-39 RB but Addai went for $26, LT for $48, Gore $37 and Steven Jackson for $39 so I'm not too upset about it. Especially since I can pair him up with any of the other guys. In my regular draft, I'd be happy having Portis and Maroney as my two starting RB's.

If you've never tried an auction draft, I HIGHLY recommend it. It even went faster, which I didn't expect.

Comments

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>First I have to say, I am a late adopter of the auction style. I thought it would be way too confusing and in my $105 entry league, a bit spendy to "try it out". I got invited to a buddies league last minute and gave it a shot. I have to say, WOW! Where has this concept been all my life? And why didn't I adopt it much sooner!?!?!

So much more fun than a regular draft, so much fairer and it requires a bit more strategy than "will that guy be there on the way back down". I loved it, wish I could convince my league on Thursday to change but it's too late now.

Since I know you fantasy geeks will love looking at my roster (I know I do) here it is.

10 team league, there were two "FNG's". Myself and a clownshoe that bid $7 for the Bears.
    14 man roster. Must start 1QB, 2RB, 3 WR/TE 1K, 1 DEF. $100 cap.

Donovan McNabb $5
    Jon Kitna $2

Larry Johnson $40
    Chester Taylor $3
    Laurence Maroney $10
    Clinton Portis $9
    Chris Henry (TEN) $1
    DeAngelo Williams $3

Steve Smith $16
    Santana Moss $4
    Deion Branch $3
    B. Berrian $1

Vinatieri $2

Steelers $1

I couldn't pass up Kitna for $2. I had $15 allocated for my starting qb. Manning went for $20, Palmer $14 and Brady (the guy I wanted) for $16. Palmer went off the board after McNabb, who for $5, was a steal. I didn't mean to win Portis or Maroney and was just bidding them up so I could get Ronnie Brown but for $9 and $10, I cannot complain.

Spent less than I wanted to on my top 2 RB's (I allocated $55) and I spent less on my QB and more on my WR's but that's ok. I feel I got great depth at RB and got good value on just about everyone. LJ probably should have been a $37-39 RB but Addai went for $26, LT for $48, Gore $37 and Steven Jackson for $39 so I'm not too upset about it. Especially since I can pair him up with any of the other guys. In my regular draft, I'd be happy having Portis and Maroney as my two starting RB's.

If you've never tried an auction draft, I HIGHLY recommend it. It even went faster, which I didn't expect. >>

McNabb, Maroney, and Branch were great values, IMO. I don't like the LJ $40 pick. I'd rather have Addai, Gore, or Jackson there. Portis scares the crap out of me. Hasn't been healthy in 2-3 years...
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭✭
    How does the draft player order work?
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I had a ton of money when LJ was finally offered up. Gore, Jackson, LT and Manning were all gone at that point. So he was the last of the "big" rb's available. I would have liked Addai too. The only team I'm jealous of managed TO, Evans and Wayne as his receivers. I don't know how you get much better than that. I'm not a big believer in Gore, I'm not sold on SF. I think Ronnie Brown was one of the better values at $15. I expect him to have a great year. Addai plays for Indy and that's enough to sell me on him but I think Rhodes getting the bulk of the workload in the Super Bowl said a lot, although letting him leave in the offseason probably says a lot more.

I felt good about Branch and great about McNabb. Getting McNabb and Kitna for a combined $7 is fantastic. Sure, McNabb will probably be on IR by week 7, but he should win me a fewe games up to that point and I've got Kitna (4200 yards and 20 td's) for the 2nd half of the season, hopefully just in time for him to gel with calvin Johnson. I will need to find a K and D come week 6 so a couple of these guys have to go to satisfy that. I wish I had staggered the Bye's for that, as I could have dropped one skill position player and picked up a K then dropped said K to get a Def the next week. Might have to look at trade options at some point.

This was my first auction. I'm not enamored with LJ and like Portis and Maroney I was trying to bid him up and ended up winning him, but when he was offered that late (probably the 25th player offered) I had quite a bit of money left and the other big dogs were gone. LIke I said before, I'd have felt better with him at $37 or $38, but to get what I got even with spending $40, I'm not feeling too bad. At least I didn't pay $21 for Chad Johnson. image
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    In our case, we drew numbers and that was the order you called out somebody. The #1 guy didn't call out LT, he called out Peyton Manning first. LJ and LT were way down on the list. Vinatieri was the 5th or 6th guy offered and the Ravens defense was in the top 10. You have a chance to bid on those guys in whateer order they're offered.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How does the draft player order work? >>

I am not sure how Josh's league did order, but our baseball auction (18th year) we go around the room and each owner brings up an available player (keeper league). The person you bring up you have at the opening bid. It is fun to bid up people when you bring up their favorite players or team.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Auctions are by far the best leagues as compared to the serpentine drafts. I play in both a baseball and football auction leagues and we auction both, although in a 10 team league for football, the prices can be pretty high for star players. We start with a $160 balance in football and LaDanian Tomlinson went for $105, although we allow 2 keepers at the previous years draft to be kept.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    You absolutely stole Kitna. He will be one of the top 5 QBs in the league this year. With 2 great receivers (this will be Roy Williams' breakout year, and everybody seems to love Calvin Johnson) and Mike Martz' bombs away offense, he will absolutely tear it up. Most people don't remember that Kitna should've been the league's MVP in 2003 and he also threw for 4200 yds last year. He's a gamer that's never really had offensive weapons around him other than Chad Johnson.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been doing auction drafts since...drumroll please...1993! I do one auction and one straight draft every year. I love them both. This year we have 10 teams (we flip flop between 10 and 12). The cap is $227. Here's my roster:

QB Kitna 19
    QB Garcia 11
    QB Huard 1
    RB Addai 46
    RB Parker 38
    RB Benson 18
    RB Pittman 1
    RB Dorsey 1
    WR Evans 20
    WR R. Williams 18
    WR Walker 17
    WR Burress 10
    WR Henderson 3
    WR Williamson 1
    TE McMichael 3
    TE L. Smith 2
    K Vinatieri 5
    K Nedney 1
    D Pittsburgh 4
    D Oakland 1

I actually left $7 on the table, which I NEVER do. Guys I really wanted that I missed out on (i.e. they went thh high) were Lynch (24) and Alex Smith (18).

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Here was my Draft last week

QB B. Roethlisberger (Pit-QB)
    RB L. Tomlinson (SD-RB)
    WR M. Colston (NO-WR)
    WR J. Walker (Den-WR)
    TE D. Clark (Ind-TE) NO
    RB T. Henry (Den-RB)
    QB B. Favre (GB-QB)
    RB L. Betts (Was-RB)
    RB T. Bell (Det-RB)
    WR B. Edwards (Cle-WR)
    RB C. Benson (Chi-RB)
    WR C. Johnson (Det-WR)
    PK M. Stover (Bal-PK)
    DEF Dallas (Dal-DST)
  • Options
    Here's my team from my draft (position order):

QBs-Bulger and Favre
    RBs-Addai, Jacobs, Fred Taylor, Betts, DeShaun Foster, and Brian Leonard
    WRs-Colston, Reggie Brown, Welker, and Anthony Gonzalez
    TEs-Heap and Miller (OAK)
    K-Stover
    D-Denver

We have points per reception, hence my picks of Addai, Leonard, and Welker...
  • Options

<< <i>Here was my Draft last week

QB B. Roethlisberger (Pit-QB)
    RB L. Tomlinson (SD-RB)
    WR M. Colston (NO-WR)
    WR J. Walker (Den-WR)
    TE D. Clark (Ind-TE) NO
    RB T. Henry (Den-RB)
    QB B. Favre (GB-QB)
    RB L. Betts (Was-RB)
    RB T. Bell (Det-RB)
    WR B. Edwards (Cle-WR)
    RB C. Benson (Chi-RB)
    WR C. Johnson (Det-WR)
    PK M. Stover (Bal-PK)
    DEF Dallas (Dal-DST) >>

You didn't get Cedric Benson in the 11th round, did you?
  • Options

<< <i>You absolutely stole Kitna. He will be one of the top 5 QBs in the league this year. With 2 great receivers (this will be Roy Williams' breakout year, and everybody seems to love Calvin Johnson) and Mike Martz' bombs away offense, he will absolutely tear it up. Most people don't remember that Kitna should've been the league's MVP in 2003 and he also threw for 4200 yds last year. He's a gamer that's never really had offensive weapons around him other than Chad Johnson. >>

He also had 22 picks last year, too. I'm just sayin' in case your league deducts for picks.
  • Options
    You absolutely stole Berrian at a dollar.
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

In the league i am in, Yes, Cedric went in the 11th go round. Lucky me..image