Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1961 Bob Clemente

Hi i just won this item off of ebay and was wondering if I made a good buy? Im new to vintage and trying to learn the most i can. Thanks for your input in advance.
clemente

Comments

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    nice card - i sure would have paid atleast that much for it - looks like a nice deal to me
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a bad looking OC card. You got a decent deal in my opinion.
  • Options
    Thanks guys...newbie question here, How much does the OC hurt the value of a psa graded card? Whats the SMR of this card without the qualifier?
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    You know...as an investment, OC cards have value ceilings that others do not.

BUT.....
    As far as OC cards go, this one is gorgeous! I hope you like the card and that it will come to mean something to you because it is a fastastic card for a great price. Well done, sir!!

~D
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    The rule of thumb is that a PSA 8OC will generally sell between the straight 6 & 7 prices. Since a '61 Clemente books at $75 in PSA 6 and $120 in PSA 7, it looks like you made a good buy. However, the straight 7 rarely reaches the book price. I own one and have tracked closed eBay auctions since October of 2005 and the average hammer for 91 completed auctions on a 1961 Topps #388 Clemente PSA 7 is $88.93, about 74% of SMR.

Here's some data on major Topps HOFer 8OC prices realized on eBay:

1957 Topps #302 Sandy Koufax 8OC (PSA 6: $185, PSA 7: $350, PSA 8: $950)
    Average for 5 completed auctions since 3/15/2006: $218.42

1960 Topps #350 Mickey Mantle 8OC (PSA 6: $300, PSA 7: $475, PSA 8: $1150)
    Average for 12 completed auctions since 11/30/2005: $388.31

1969 Topps #500 Mickey Mantle (yellow) 8OC (PSA 6: $165, PSA 7: $290, PSA 8: $585)
    Average for 28 completed auctions since 11/13/2005: $198.69
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I would say you got a good deal. I think most 8oc's wind up popped out and in raw complete sets. Usually if they have some borders they look great in binders. For set registry goodness, 8oc's as well as all qualified cards are downgraded 2 whole grades.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>You know...as an investment, OC cards have value ceilings that others do not.

BUT.....
    As far as OC cards go, this one is gorgeous! I hope you like the card and that it will come to mean something to you because it is a fastastic card for a great price. Well done, sir!!

~D >>

Thanks, I just got back into collecting and I decided to get out of the modern and jump into vintage. My collection is going to my newborn son one day and want him to give it to his son or daughter one day.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I say nice buy. I paid $41 for a PSA 8 OC 61 Banks and it only books $40 raw. It sure is sweet to have a 61 Topps card of a HOFer that looks like it just came from a pack.
  • Options
    thats a very nice card. I dont mind a bit O/C. ill take sharp corners and bold colors any day. I need that card for my set too!
    bastige!
  • Options
    bifff257bifff257 Posts: 751 ✭✭

<< <i> You know...as an investment, OC cards have value ceilings that others do not. >>

I agree,

However you can pick up some nice cards that have great eye appeal that are OC and only pay a fraction of the cost.

<< <i> I say nice buy. I paid $41 for a PSA 8 OC 61 Banks >>

That is a nice buy Allen, I picked up a PSA 9 OC Banks a few months back for about $70(straight PSA 9 I think books for over $600)... Beautiful card.