Options

Mile High ends tonight, '54 Bowman set up to $ 89542.83

Comments

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Holy horse poo!

That's an absolutely GORGEOUS set.

Pardon me while I wipe the slobber from my chin image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    W image W !
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Holy horse poo!

That's an absolutely GORGEOUS set.

Pardon me while I wipe the slobber from my chin image >>

Agreed. I knew about the Williams card, but I didn't realize this set had so many variations. I did know how beautiful it is (I vividly remember flipping through a partial set in pages years ago), and this one is truly spectacular.

I'd love to read some anecdotes about how he put it together.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭
    The funny thing is this set has sort of a bad rap about its attractiveness. Granted, it's ain't the '53 set but come on. How could anyone put it down??
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the player pictures, but I could do without the very hard to read signatures, thats my only knock on the set.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>The funny thing is this set has sort of a bad rap about its attractiveness. Granted, it's ain't the '53 set but come on. How could anyone put it down?? >>

Because the "autograph" box is very bland and distracting, esp. with no typed name, team, etc. It would have been much better not to have it at all.
  • Options

<< <i>I love the player pictures, but I could do without the very hard to read signatures, thats my only knock on the set. >>

Absolutey Agreed! Think how much more attractive this set would have been w/o the signatures. It would have been more in line with the '53 Bowman only a lot more colorful.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Great set. The Ted Williams cards is an all time classic.
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    I don't like that auction format. They make sure they get the top amount, but not the best business practice in my book.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't like that auction format. They make sure they get the top amount, but not the best business practice in my book. >>

I agree completely. Mastro started this with some of Branca's sets and now it's spreading. I won't bid on a lot that is run this way- effectively you're just shilling up the lot for the guy that wins it as a complete set.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    that's my favorite all-time mantle.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't like that auction format. They make sure they get the top amount, but not the best business practice in my book. >>

I agree completely. Mastro started this with some of Branca's sets and now it's spreading. I won't bid on a lot that is run this way- effectively you're just shilling up the lot for the guy that wins it as a complete set. >>

I cant even figure out how it would work if you really wanted ONE laot
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    the individual cards went for a few grand more than the complete set.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    that auciton format stinks--just a nother way to make a few more bucks....

soon to come at an auciotn near you---$22% commission---

on another topic--quite the pack collection that got sold, eh?
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love the player pictures, but I could do without the very hard to read signatures, thats my only knock on the set. >>

how else would we have known that willie mays auto was actually legible at one time!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    What did the set close at? Clicked the link and everything is now blank.

Edited:

I found the completed auction -> Link

Did it close at $89542.83?
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    The lot did not sell as a whole...the individual lot totals where higher

As of 8/16/2007 the total for Lots 4-157: $92,030.78

This is the first time I have seen this happen
  • Options
    How about the 1969 Frank Robinson PSA 9 - $6,433 with juice. image
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    A few that caught my eye-

1960 Morrell Meats Sandy Koufax Dodgers PSA 9 $26,219.69 (w/ juice- $30,808.14)

1975 Topps #500 Nolan Ryan PSA 10 $24,891.04 ($29,246.97)

1969 Topps Baseball Wax Pack Tray GAI 5.5 $2690.87 ($3161.77)

1958 Topps Baseball 5 cent wax pack GAI 8 $7663.45 ($9004.55)
  • Options
    The '69 tray pack was a steal.
    The '58 pack might prove to be- it is very, very tough. There has only been one other one offered in the last 4 years, and it was this very same pack in Rosen's auction.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I agree the 69 tray was a very good deal. the 58 was high compared to what it went for the 1st time around but it is still the only one to hit the market in 4 years as anthony said so time will tell.

I picked up the 57 guild cello which is also the only one I have seen on the market. compared to the regular 57 cellos I thought the price was reasonable. also picked up a few random packs but overall prices were very strong imo. the yaz rookie cello went for double what it went for 2 years ago and there are a few of htem around.

the 60 and 61 racks were very good deals as well. the 70's racks were mostly high.

anthony , anything for you?
  • Options
    Just taking a quick look at closed prices besides the few big cards I thought the auction prices were soft for many,many items.Hopefully some board members got some great deals. Not a fan of the format used for the complete Bowman set. Put it up either individual or complete period.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought the auction prices were soft for many,many items >>

really , I browsed the auction around 10 pm and did not see much that I thought was cheap enough to make a profit on. I dod not know much of the prewar stuff so maybe that is what you were referring to
  • Options
    the '69 wax tray was steal--I got it.

I went to bed at 10 with a "what the heck" high bid of $2,690 and was schocked to find out I won it.

Prices were very strong for that many packs at 1 time. Some things were bargains--the '68 racks went for less than what I thought.

did you see the '71 double Aaron rack--$5,000 PLUS the juice!!! I actually sold that to the consignor 5 years ago for $1,000. I bought it for $150 from Teletrade in 1998! Talk about appreciation.....
  • Options

<< <i>the '69 wax tray was steal--I got it. >>

Are you a wax tray collector, flatfoot?
  • Options
    PM sent redheart
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭✭
    a 'what the heck' bid of $2600?
    sweet!
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    As someone who is just getting into the pack collecting/selling game, looks like I missed the boat by about 5-10 years.
  • Options
    not so sure about that Bob- prices are down from what they were a few years ago. If PSA ever gets a pack registry together it should pick up, but who knows when that will happen. Monday?

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Bob, pm sent

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    The auction format for the 54 Bowman with set price versus individual prices is a waste of time. Several auctions have tried this and the set prices always beats the individual prices by wide margin.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The auction format for the 54 Bowman with set price versus individual prices is a waste of time. Several auctions have tried this and the set prices always beats the individual prices by wide margin. >>

except this time, eh, Koby?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.