Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Oldest former player who could still hit a home run....

Ok, not really talking about game situation, but who is the oldest living former player who could still take a batting practice pitch deep? I started thinking about it because I thought it would be funny to buy the 756 ball and have a batting practice pitcher toss it to Hank and let him blast it over the fence. Aaron plays a lot of golf so his flexibility is still good, but I doubt he could take one out. What do you guys think? Musial at 84? Maybe not haha. So who is the oldest player that could take one yard?

Comments

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    75-year-old Luke Appling knocked one out of the ball park in an old-timer's game in Washington, D.C., back in 1982. I think Warren Spahn might have been the pitcher. Got a well deserved standing ovation if I recall.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Mike Schmidt definitely still could go yard...although there are likely a few older players that still could, too.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    I'd only really be impressed if the guy was at least 60, and REALLY impressed if he was older than 70. I have a hard time believing that someone 80+ could knock one out, though.

Schmidt is almost 60, though. Reggie Jackson has got to be close. Those are the only two that I'd blindly guess could still nail one out.

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    mike schmidt is a very large,strong human being, he could do it, last time last timei saw him signing autos his arms were still huge!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I'd bet on Frank Howard. I saw him crush one at a softball game about 15 years ago, easily 500 feet.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Wow that Appling stat is very cool. Never heard that, did they play the Old Timers games on a full sized field? I wish they still did that instead of the stupid celebrity softball thing.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Frank Robinson
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    berk ross

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Emmitt Smith could. He can do anything!

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Frank Robinson's a good choice - how about Killebrew?
  • Options
    I actuall saw Frank Robinson take some batting practice swings about 6 years ago and he hit one out. Saw Mike Scosia do it in 2004 during BP.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    I think Killebrew could still go yard down the line.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Boog Powell??
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I'm gonna say no on Boog. He's been aging quickly. Although he could've in the mid 90s when Boog's BBQ opened in Camden Yards.
  • Options
    Anyone say Reggie Jackson??
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike Schmidt definitely still could go yard...although there are likely a few older players that still could, too. >>

I am also a big Schmidt fan, but he has back problems. I don't think he could hit one to the warning track. I think Reggie Jackson or Dave Winfield.
  • Options
    I know it's not the same, but this thread makes me think of the Ty Cobb quote:

When asked why he would only hit .300 against today's pitchers (back in the 50's) his reply "You got to remember, I'm 73".
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I'm gonna have to say Julio Franco. He's still in great shape for an old guy. Wait, you said former players? Never mind.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minnie Minoso. Didn't he play a game in an independant league sometime since '00? (meaning 2000, not 1900 image )
  • Options
    I think there are some guys not far removed from the game that are older than Franco that could slam balls out with ease.
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

... with both arms tied behind his back.
  • Options
    JohnnyDJohnnyD Posts: 520 ✭✭
    How about an old player (pitcher) to throw that pitch with speed. I hear Bob Feller still pitches in the Indians fantasy camps and strikes out players (not the fans who are paying to be there...real players)
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Appling hit the ball over a 250-foot fence off Warren Spahn in 1982 at a Crackerjack Old-Timers event (benefit for retired players) in Washington DC.

I'd go with Frank Robby on this one...I saw Reggie a couple of years ago and he was starting to look his age.

Of course in 30 years or so Rickey Henderson will still be trying to get in that "one last season". I'm sure he'll be able to swing the bat.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    I saw Frank Robinson at the National..............He is not likely to be hitting a homer any time soon.......he looks better on TV then he does in person.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Winfield would probably smack one out, as he was and is a huge guy who seems to have aged well. But is he all that old?
  • Options
    Carlton Fisk??
  • Options
    Cal Ripken could. Tony Gwynn could not. Too many wings,nachos, everything else at the table.
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,445 ✭✭
    I'm surprised not to see Ernie Banks name listed yet.
  • Options
    Ernie certainly knew how to hit a homer - think he's got the same snap in his wrists? I haven't seen him as of late so dunno if he's frail or robust.
  • Options

<< <i>Cal Ripken could. Tony Gwynn could not. Too many wings,nachos, everything else at the table. >>

I would bet my collection that Gwynn could hit one out. There are a lot of guys older than those 2 that can still hit one out. How about Joe Morgan, he is 63. He looks like he has aged well when I see him commentating.

What about Duke Snider at 80 ? I looked up this picture of him taken last year. He probably plays a lot of golf so maybe he still has the flexibiltiy. He is, afterall, the "Silver Fox".

• Options
    colebearcolebear Posts: 886 ✭✭
    killebrew, aaron, jackson, or banks
  • Options
    Hank Aaron. Prop him up and let him rip a few extra to retake the lead. Come on A-Rod.... start the tally now....
  • Options
    Dave Parker?? I was going to say Billy Williams, but just saw a picture from 2006, don't think so!!
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I still like Ty Cobbs response to this--when asked what his batting avg would be in todays era, he replied " Oh, about 280 ". The interviewer said "why only 280?". Cobbs response "Because i'm 75 years old ***damit!!!
  • Options
    I bet Yogi could be the oldest to hit it out of the infield.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dave Parker?? I was going to say Billy Williams, but just saw a picture from 2006, don't think so!! >>

Dave Parker could hit the crud out of the ball.

He's the only guy I'm personally aware of that hit the outfield speaker at the Dome during BP. I was a kid back then yet still comprehended that he hit the snot out of it.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd bet on Frank Howard. I saw him crush one at a softball game about 15 years ago, easily 500 feet. >>

I'd venture to say that it's just about impossible to hit a softball 500 feet, especially when it's not fast pitch softball. This is how urban legends grow, Anthony image

I'm going to put my money on Dave Kingman.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    There were a few softball guys on some show and they were in a MLB stadium and they were drilling the ball out of there. It was crazy. Griffey Jr. was there watching and he was just in awe of how far they were hitting them. My friend has a titanium softball bat and I can hit softballs pretty far over the fence with it. I have hit line drives out that were only about 8 feet off the ground with that bat. He refuses to let me have the bat though haha.