Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I don't hate Barry (and I'm not afraid to say it).

Well, Bonds hit # 755 tonight, as you know, and I think it is a pretty good moment. Some thoughts:

1. Bud Selig was a coward and douche for not clapping.

2. Bonds' daughter looked really proud of her dad and I thought that was cool.

3. Bonds has had to endure TREMENDOUS pressure for the past 6 years, far more than others who have actually tested positive.

4. Regardless of a person's thoughts about Barry as a person, he was one of the greatest hitters of all time BEFORE his 73 HR season and tieing Aaron's record.

5. There are FAR more important things in life to obsess over. I think that those on here and elsewhere that are so consumed with hatred for Bonds are only doing themselves a dis-service in the end. He may be a jerk, but I don't know what he has really done to deserve such hatred.

6. I am not a fan of Barry Bonds and I own 3 cards of him. I just don't see why the obsession and hatred is there.

There, I said it.

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    the more people hate him, the more i like him..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>I just don't see why the obsession and hatred is there. >>

Because he is an a hole!

That's why!
  • Options
    I replied earlier to a thread about a tasteless card being sold on ebay. I have no problems with Bonds. Just have problems with tasteless people. I have tons of Bonds stuff. I hope he does do well so when my grand kids are sitting around going through my old baseball stuff, I can tell them the same thing that my grandfather told me about Aaron. Roids or not, still a great thing to accomplish.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    He was a great player (not person, ever) pre 'roids'. Why did he have to taint his accomplishments when he was easily bound for the Hall before '98...

Edited to say: Classic Bonds moment this year during the All Star Break. Had the opportunity to put on a show for his home town crowd in the Home Run Derby. Nah...didn't want to do it. At this stage of his career (he was going to break the record at that point, anyway, why not just put on the show for everyone).
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check it out in the Sports talk forum, I started a thread on Baryy congratulating him and some ignorant poster compaired it to the Bridge collapse in Minneapolis. People are wishing Bonds take a bullet, have a career injury? Aaron dealt with hatred and so has Barry. Funny, times have changed but hate has not..

Edit: Not saying Bonds has dealt with anything near as much as Aaron did.
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    I don't Hate Barry. Who and or what made Barry what he is today? Major League Baseball. Bud Selig was pooping stacks of cash during the late 90's when Big mac and Sammy( no speekie engleesh) were tearing up NL pitching. Barry who already was a lock for Hof, got it into his head if Mac can hit 63 homers and I am better than him, I will do it too and Smash every Damn record. Ha Ha As far as (cheating) I have 2 words for ya GAYLORD PERRY.
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    Bud Selig is as guilty for the steroid era as any one person can be. HE was on point and let it all slip by. HE was the one who ignored the whispers about guys putting on 30 lbs of muscle in one off season, then hitting 50 HRs. HE was the one who put returning baseball to profitability (and making his owner friends even wealthier) ahead of the integrity of the game. HE is the one who should have been front and center at every one of Bonds' games until he hits 755 and 756.

Selig is the man most responsible for the steroid era getting out control, for letting it dominate the game. Selig is the man who put money before integrity.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No doubt Barry was an outstanding player before he started juicing. That's what makes his use of steroids even more unfortunate, that he was so consumed with jealousy over the McGwire/Sosa HR chase in '98 that he'd risk his legacy by cheating. And it's still a shame that he broke Aaron's record if only because Hank endured far more abuse when going after Ruth than Barry ever did going after Aaron, and Hank broke the record legitimately. Selig is as much to blame, as well, for turning a blind eye when guys like Ken Caminitti and Brady Anderson were hitting 50 homers a season. Barry will never be fully admired for this spectacular feat and that's only fitting, IMO.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i dont hate barry,i just like a-rod better!!!dont particlarly like his attitude, even with the roids,which was not made illegal till 2006 i think it was,theres not a whole lot they can go about it, selig is the one who turned the other way for years about steroids,same with all the other sport,except for nascar!,(dont expect the drivers need roids to turn the wheel),im sure barry will just be glad when its over and the pressure is off,as im sure a-rod is now,now he can get back to hisself with out all the pressure and crack em out,frank thomas just passed murray for # 20 on home run list today as well
    randy
  • Options
    Bonds is a steaming pile of buffalo puckey.

I'm so sorry this is the game we have to pass on to our boys.

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    As long as he's got SF on his cap, he's one of my guys. One more to go, and the Giants can start to focus on actually WINNING.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i'm just bummed for Aaron, because i really did idolize him as a player and i still have all the stuff i saved from when he broke Babes' record.....i have no reason to dislike Barry, but i never cared for him much before the accusations....now, as for that cheatin' rat Neifi Perez......image
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    It would be so much different if it was Griffey breaking the record. The excitment would be like in 1998 when Mac chased the record. 89 UD Griffeys would be booking $300 right now. Griffey would be smiling and having a great time playing the game and sharing his accomplishment with fans. Barry is just not the guy people want to break the record. Hopefully A-rod stays healthy and breaks it the right way and can chalk one up for the good guys. It seems like Barry is really only sharing this moment with his family, and his kids to idolize their father. But then you have to remember Barry also set his kids up to have to ask their mommy what they meant when on TV they said daddy cheated on you.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bonds is a steaming pile of buffalo puckey.

I'm so sorry this is the game we have to pass on to our boys. >>

Yup,

And someone in this thread so ignorantly commented on how much "abuse" Bonds has had to endure like it was 1/100th of the real abuse a straight guy like Aaron had to put up with.

I don't wish any ill will towards Bonds EXCEPT that I sincerley hope that he is the poster child 100 years from now for a generation that is mocked. Mocked for eternity.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>As long as he's got SF on his cap, he's one of my guys. One more to go, and the Giants can start to focus on actually WINNING. >>

The Giants will not win until Barry is gone. I am sure you know that yourself.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    griff would be a whole lot closer without those years he was hurt and berley playing, he still looks like he did in 1989,i saw him on interview on tv the other night,still looks like a kid!hes got plenty more homers in em thats for sure
    randy
  • Options
    soft, can you please knock it off with the comparisons to Aaron's struggles? I don't think anyone suggested that the struggles Barry's going through approaches the real danger that Hank faced approaching breaking Ruth's record.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>The Giants will not win until Barry is gone. I am sure you know that yourself. >>

Yup. I know that very well. The team needs to rebuild it's anemic offense.

Maybe the Giants can land the next HR King...
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    I do hate Barry, and I am not afraid to say it. He is ruining the game we all love. It's pathetic to think people can actually compare him to the idols of the game like Aaron, Ruth, etc...

Barry Sucks!
  • Options

I'm much more turned off by fans who go to games and think that buying a ticket gives them the right to:

(a) Throw stuff at a player

(b) Yell obcene things at a player

Adults should have more sense than to do this, especially in public with children around.

MLB needs to crack down on the idiot fans, not only because it's right, but because it costs them money.

I personally don't want to drop hundreds of bucks to go to a game and have to listen to morons.

Collecting my sports heroes, Roger Staubach and Kirby Puckett.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The people who think Barry exhibits a-hole behavior should've been around when Ty Cobb was playing. I just read a biography of Cobb and what a total psycho he was. Easily the most hated player of his time, even by his own teammates.
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Whew, I'm just glad i opened this thread to see that it was about Bonds.

image Barry

• Options
    Barry, have YOU done steroids?

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Barry, have YOU done steroids?

image >>

Not unless they put them in Budweiser and Twinkies

• Options

<< <i>soft, can you please knock it off with the comparisons to Aaron's struggles? I don't think anyone suggested that the struggles Barry's going through approaches the real danger that Hank faced approaching breaking Ruth's record. >>

Then I don't want to see comments about "abuse" that Bonds gets that he has brought on himself. I don't want to see anybody using that as an excuse for Bonds like he is carrying some kind of cross.

• Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221

Amazing how many... hmmm, collectors defend this egotist. Ohhh, I see what's goin on now. "We're all gonna be RICH!"

1986 DONRUSS ROOKIES 11 BARRY BONDS 12 58 181 620 3843 4606 825... TOTAL 10213
    1986 FLEER UPDATE U-14 BARRY BONDS 6 29 53 413 8004 7496 716... TOTAL 16982
    1986 TOPPS TRADED 11T BARRY BONDS 52 318 513 897 17218 17234 2880... TOTAL 41228
    1987 DONRUSS 361 BARRY BONDS 21 66 227 1556 9422 9116 813... TOTAL 21533
    1987 FLEER 604 BARRY BONDS 13 60 138 804 10471 9206 754... TOTAL 23219
    1987 TOPPS GLOSSY A/S 60 30 BARRY BONDS GLOSSY SET OF 60 8 67 114 192 2328 10098 5370... TOTAL 18293

Just the graded PSAs. Doubtful there any more sitting raw in binders or SGC, BCCG/BGS, GAI, GEM etc etc;

• Options
    i really do not want to beat this old horse.... but,there is no doubt that bond is a great player of the game. what about the hof? now i know pete rose bet on baseball,but what about breaking records with growth horomones? pete was a great player,but he had an addiction. what about players of any sports that killed someone,busted for coke strawberry and still are in hof? i know pete will have a shot one day ,but i think he will not get to enjoy it.ok i am off the box. i do not hate barry but i just think there should be no tolorance for any performance enhancements in any sport. don russell
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Way to go, Barry!

756* is next.
    Capecards
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I loved Barry with the Pirates even though he came up lame vs. the Braves and Reds. I loved Barry with the Giants even though they stunk vs. the Marlins, Braves and Mets. Finally I loved Barry kicking much tail right up to 5-0 in the seventh vs. the Angels. I haven't forgiven him or the Giants for that choke. I don't feel Barry has had a competitive advantage (same with Lance Armstrong) so I don't begrudge him the right to break the glamourous home run records.

The most salient point of the initial post is that Selig is a weasel and didn't deserve to be at the game. I really don't care if he shows up and I really don't care what his reaction. I truly hope Bonds stretches this out another three to four weeks so Selig has to log 50,000 air miles chasing him around the country.
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭
    What is so sad about this is that I think it cost him the legitimate home run record. I don't feel he would have ever hit 60 in a season without the roids but I do think he would have broken the home run record. It wasn't worth it to take the roids and it cost him his legacy. I still think that he was and is one of the top 5 greatest players in the game all time but at what cost when he didn't have to take the roids? chaz
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>soft, can you please knock it off with the comparisons to Aaron's struggles? I don't think anyone suggested that the struggles Barry's going through approaches the real danger that Hank faced approaching breaking Ruth's record. >>

Then I don't want to see comments about "abuse" that Bonds gets that he has brought on himself. I don't want to see anybody using that as an excuse for Bonds like he is carrying some kind of cross. >>

Dan I think your reffering to me, I clearly stated that it was nowhere near the type that Aaron went through. The comments on these boards is what pi$$es me off, like taking a bullet or a career injury? I couldn't care less how many of you guys hate him or even put the wieght of the steroid problem on Barry's shoulders but remember this guy has done ZERO harm to anyone but himself and it annoys me to read ignorant statements of people wishing harm on him.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭
    but remember this guy has done ZERO harm to anyone but himself and it annoys me to read ignorant statements of people wishing harm on him. >>

There are people in life that have worked real hard to earn what they have made of them selves in life. Years ago I had a very good up and coming lawn business that was constantly being compared to one of the other companies in the area. They had a small warehouse, and lots of trucks and equipment and had nice advertisements in the local papers .We hardly ever saw them work. This guys was a laundry for his brothers BIG time drug business. We all knew it , but all we heard was "You're just jealous of him ". The Feds ended up bringing this guy and his brother down.

The wonderful thing is the man paid his dues and has started back in business again. This time he's actually above board. He's doing quite well and I think he deserves all the credit in the world. Illegal aliens , yes, money laundry --no.

Its makes me SICK to hear all these people stand up with Bonds and say "What a wonderful job he has done , you're just jealous " while you pizz on Aaron and anyone else that has done all they have done with their own natural ability.

The bottom line is all the non cheaters out there, are almost never held in the light they deserve, because a cheater is prefered.The message that is sent to our young atheletes is " If you want to made the big bucks in sports, preformance inhansing material is a must , the end justifies the means. Descreet cheaters wanted and needed. "

Cheating refs, cheating card players, cheating co-workers, cheating polititions and people that simply know how to cheat the system all only really need one thing---- For Good People To Do Nothing .

All you Bonds supporters, go ahead , stand up and be counted.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Did you guys see all the public service announcements they are doing during the Giants games on steroids...

Is that only Giants games??
    Trying to complete 1960, '61 and '68 Topps baseball sets...raw
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you guys see all the public service announcements they are doing during the Giants games on steroids...

I didn't notice, I was busy watching "Cheaters" reruns on WNUV, this whole week, just preparing for the Bonds breaking Aaron's reruns for the next year. Again I'm sorry I missed those public service announcements .
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you guys see all the public service announcements they are doing during the Giants games on steroids...

Is that only Giants games?? >>

Yes and I almost fell out of my chair laughing. Using the phrase "steroids doesn't make great athletes" is an amazing approach to the whole thing. I mean if that's the case then what's the problem?
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    I hate Barry Bonds because the sports media tells me to do so. image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!