Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Collecting RCs of MLB's All-Century Team

It would take some serious coin, but it would be quite cool to put together a rookie card set of MLB's All-Century team. What are the rookie cards for the players with the "?" designation? And no comments about the 1952 Topps for Mickey Mantle. Is that his most desirous card? Absolutely. But his rookie card? No.

/s/ JackWESQ

MLB ALl-Century Team

1. Nolan Ryan - 1968 Topps
2. Sandy Koufax - 1955 Topps
3. Cy Young - ?
4. Roger Clemens - 1984 Fleer Update
5. Bob Gibson - 1959 Topps
6. Walter Johnson - ?
7. Warren Spahn - ?
8. Christy Mathewson - ?
9. Lefty Grove - ?
10. Johnny Bench - 1968 Topps
11. Yogi Berra - ?
12. Lou Gehrig - ?
13. Mark McGwire - 1985 Topps
14. Jackie Robinson - ?
15. Rogers Hornsby - ?
16. Mike Schmidt - 1973 Topps
17. Brooks Robinson - 1957 Topps
18. Cal Ripken, Jr. - 1982 Topps Traded
19. Ernie Banks - 1954 Topps
20. Honus Wagner - ?
21. Babe Ruth - ?
22. Hank Aaron - 1954 Topps
23. Ted Williams - ?
24. Willie Mays - 1951 Bowman
25. Joe DiMaggio - ?
26. Mickey Mantle - 1951 Bowman
27. Ty Cobb - ?
28. Ken Griffey, Jr. - 1989 Upper Deck
29. Pete Rose - 1963 Topps
30. Stan Musial - 1948 Bowman

As an aside, who now would you remove/include in the All-Century Team? McGwire out? Maddux in? Jimmie Foxx in? And, of course, the ever polarizing Bonds?

Comments

• Options
    great idea for a set. and yes, lots of coin for some of these guys even for a low grade card. good luck!!
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    The Gehrig Rookie is attributed as his 1925 Exhibit card.

Wondo

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Ruth - '16 Sporting News
    Berra - '48 Bowman
    Williams - '39 Play Ball
    Ripken - '82 Topps
    J. Robinson - '48 Leaf
    Musial - '48 Leaf (?)
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    gstarlinggstarling Posts: 463 ✭✭

<< <i>Ruth - '16 Sporting News
    Berra - '48 Bowman
    Williams - '39 Play Ball
    Ripken - '82 Topps
    J. Robinson - '48 Leaf
    Musial - '48 Leaf (?) >>

Agree w/ these except for Ripken. I agree with the OP, his best rookie is the 82 Topps Traded. - First sentence from "The Top 200 Sports Cards in the Hobby" about this card: This is the most desirable rookie card of the modern day "Iron Man". For both its scarcity as well as the fact he is pictured alone, I would go this route over his other rookie cards.

Also, unsure if Grove has a card pre 1934-36 Diamond Stars, but that is a sweet card.
    Currently Buying:
    2004 Tommie Harris SPX Printing Plate (White Whale will pay top $$$)
    1994 SP Football Die Cuts PSA 10s
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Interesting take on the Ripken. Is that the general concensus with rookie cards when there are multiples? The universally accepted "best" rookie is the scarcest or the one where the player is alone on the card?

~D
  • Options
    Grove might be the 33 Goudey #220
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    "The universally accepted "best" rookie is the scarcest or the one where the player is alone on the card?"

I would say the most accepted as "best" is the one most valuable.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    There are 2 separate camps on the Ripken. I, along with quite a few other collectors, view the '82 Topps as his best true rookie card. The '82 TT, although his most valuable first-year card, is not a true rookie since it is his second Topps issue from that year.

So for me, and as I mentioned many other collectors, the key rookie is the first and most valuable mainstream issue of a player from the first year he had cards. And don't even get me started on why Bonds' '87 Fleer is considered his rookie, sicne he had 4 cards in '86! A lot of this is due to Beckett's XRC/RC designation, which is truly ridiculous.

PS - We conducted a vote before Ripken was added to the Post-War HOF rookies set, and '82 Topps won out over '82 TT by a landslide.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I agree. The '82 Topps card for Ripken should be the one added and not the traded. I love the traded card, but it's not his true rookie.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards