Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

How many of one card do you need??

Unreal.

I was looking on vintage card prices at a card I will eventually need for a 1964 set that I am working on.

Card #10, the AL Home Run Leaders. It has Killebrew as the leader.

What is getting me a little steamed is this clown on EBAY.....vanderpark

He has won the last two and now high bidder on a third on EBAY now, and had been driving the price up severly on this card.

I swear team and master player set collectors are a plague on full year set collectors

Comments

• Options
    kimo75kimo75 Posts: 263 ✭✭
    I'm an obsessed player collector. Apparently I need the following Stargell cards:

19 - 1968 OPC
    7- 1966 Venezuelan
    20- 1970 OPC
    40- 1972 OPC

You get the point. As I always ask myself...."why DON'T I need it?"
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    lol. I had the same issue with a guy (eventually a board member) that was buying up every damn Steve Largent rookie that showed up on ebay. I know your pain! image

Funny thing is, we've become good friends and in fact, he hooked me up with a PSA 9 Largent rc for my set since he had about 20 of them. image

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    there was a guy on ebay recently trying to buy/sell clemens rookies. he had separate buy/sell accounts. don't know how he eventually panned out but the one he purchased from me can be had for several hundred dollars less now.

good luck on your 64 killebrew.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

and so on, and so forth.....

• Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    I never need more than one of any card. And I rarely need more than a few cards of any one player. I sort of pick what I think is a players best looking card and get it. There are only a few players I have lots of cards for.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm an obsessed player collector. Apparently I need the following Stargell cards:

19 - 1968 OPC
    7- 1966 Venezuelan
    20- 1970 OPC
    40- 1972 OPC

You get the point. As I always ask myself...."why DON'T I need it?" >>

You figured it out wrong. You actually need

18 - 1968 OPC
    6- 1966 Venezuelan
    19- 1970 OPC
    40- 1972 OPC

If you want to get to the right amount of each card let me know how much for one of each of the top 3. I just started a lame stargell set and I love the old OPC and venezuelans image

jim
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    One of every card would be fine!!image
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    They are just pieces of cardboard....none of us really *needs* any of them.

That said, there are some/many collectors who want multiple copies of the same card.

Such is life -- it has been around in the hobby for the last ten or twenty years. Not going to go away. Be patient, usually these situations resolve themselves.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They are just pieces of cardboard....none of us really *needs* any of them. >>

Then why do I go into withdrawal without them?
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    If you have the disease bad............
    All of them.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew he was talking about you Joe, long before you posted the scans. image
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    What is getting me a little steamed is this clown on EBAY.....vanderpark

He has won the last two and now high bidder on a third on EBAY now, and had been driving the price up severly on this card.

I just had this happen to me...wow...the guy has won three PSA 9 #404 card...all at various prices...for what reason other than to corner the market would someone buy three of one card?! PSA 9 to boot...

Looking at what he buys makes no sense...anyone hear of Just9s?

I'm pissed!
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Some guys buy all the copies they can so they can be sure they have the best one. Many times the money doesn't matter and they won't even bother to sell their dupes. Try emailing vanderpark and offering some price for the card you need.
  • Options

<< <i>I knew he was talking about you Joe, long before you posted the scans. image >>

thats funny Joe, how could you have possibly known? image

• Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    LMAO. It's funny you posted here Joe. image

Too funny...Now you see who I was talking about. Damn Largent weirdos. sheesh.
  • Options
    JT
    I was laughing when I scanned those in last night. Most of my 9's are at PSA again looking for a bump, so i was only able to scan in 7 of them.

I think everyone has at least one player they love to collect (hoard?) 4sc keeps getting those 1984 Largents graded a 10, and I keep buying them. Its pathetic.

joe
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    If you want the card that bad, bid more than him. You can't fault a guy for the way he spends his money. It's his and he can do whatever he wants with it. I think your mentailty is way more of a plague on the hobby than his spending. You have no right to tell people what they should and shouldn't buy.

Also, considering an AL Leaders PSA 8 (no big names, 32 in pop) just went for $280 and your cherished AL HR Leaders PSA 8 card (32 in pop as well) went for $75, I wouldn't consider the price all that ridiculous.
  • Options
    I have sold him exhibits before, nice guy. He buys a lot of high grade stuff, humm I might email him this thread, haha. Then we can maybe find out for sure.
  • Options
    You think that's bad, try coins. People will buy every nice circulated copy they can of certain key dates to make ROLLS of them image

Makes it hard to find copies for your set, to say the least... oh well.

Take it easy,
    Jared
    "You consider me the young apprentice,
    Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes,
    Hypnotized by you if I should linger,
    Staring at the ring around your finger" - Sting

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.
  • Options
    Why didn't someone tell me about the buy one rule??

I didn't know that you could only buy one card and then not buy another even if it has better centering or is cheaper!

I did notice that robr1967 bails out quick against bidding competition. On some recent auctions robr1967 bid all the way up to $2 on some Harmon Killebrew cards and then gave up. I guess that he is not a true Harmon Clayton Killebrew fan like I am. (Either that or he knew I would eventually out bid him!)
    I have always been a sucker for cards of my boyhood idol, aka the "Killer."

I guess that robr1967 had not heard of dollar cost averaging either???

Happy card hunting and remeber, you can only win one!

Mike (vanderpark)