Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I wonder if something is up with Barry Bonds.

2 week slump.

Grand jury set to expire.

Lawyer makes cryptic statements and threatens aggressive defense "if the grand jury chooses to indict him."

Plays the nice guy at the All Star Game.

Blows up last night and isn't playing tonight.

Probably just wishful thinking on my part, but an indictment might be just around the corner. The tea leaves suggest something may be amiss.........

Ron
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Hence the reason Bud never committed if he would attend. Sorta like "Um, well, it's a ways off and I'll deal with it then."

BRILLIANT!!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'd be sweet justice for Hank if his career ended with him stuck on 751.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    he is going through withdraw!
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    "It'd be sweet justice for Hank if his career ended with him stuck on 751."

If you gave me a choice of the Yankees winning the next 3 World Series, or Bonds being hauled off to jail never to play again, I'd say where can I get a NYY hat to cheer on the Bronx Bombers.

Hank Aaron deserves better.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    dude i have some barry stuff i need to sell, i hope he hurries up and breaks the record!
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    He's fine. He has just had his mind on prior commitments he made during the off-season.

On his days off he "rented" himself out to various float parades around the country. The problem is, his head is too large to fit through most city blocks so he is now relegated to large open towns in the midwest.

I have proof;

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    The squirrel is a nice touch!
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    Rocky's goin after his itty bitty nuts
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I'm not sure if anything's up with Barry Bonds, but I heard he might be on the steroids.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    liar he just got the new nike pump head.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    I hope the whole entire sports world finds out Barry never took any steroids at all .

How dare anyone convict a man before any kind of proof is given ?

I feel bad for the guy and I just think this is a shame .

If anyone has any proof he's taken steroids , then why don't they present it .

I'm not a Big Barry Bonds fan , and not a Big Giants fan or anything , but I just hate to see a man accused when there really is no strong proof that he's actually done something wrong .

Where is the proof ?
    He's about to break the homerun record ?
    He got big ?
    < Shrug >

:Edited for: horrible grammar
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

TN, Thats got to be the most ignorant post of the year. Apparently you don't follow sports. I'll bet you were always picked last to play for a team. Barry has already admitted to "unknowlingly" taking steriods. Please take your 2 cents worth of opinion and flush it.

NEXT
  • Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    Hammerin' Hank is one of my heroes regardless what Barry does.

Aaron broke the Babe's record the hard way - without 'roids and with a lot of racist badgering.

He did it with style.

Sorry Barry. Hank's my hero no matter what you do.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    at best Barry's got the record for 5-6 years, and then ARod will break it with all the celebrations that Bonds didn't get.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Is that what you're going to bet Mr. Carew ?
    I was always picked last for teams ?
    I don't follow sports?
    I'm sorry , that has my vote for the most ignorant post I'm sure , But,
    OK THERE CHAMP !
    That's very sweet of you .

I never heard him admitt to pumping steroids , He said something about ointments he thought were for pain . . .
    I can see that happening for sure .

And so what If I like to go for the underdog ??
    I can't root for the underdog ?
    Maybe I got to wear a dress to work if he loses , what do you really know about me ?
    Mind your business when it comes to me OK, I don't want to have a problem with anyone here.
    I hope everything works out , no matter how bad things look .
    Things aint lookin so good right now , But we're gonna see right ?

Don't try to be such a tough guy , I don't want to be on your team anyway .

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Wow, the Carew guys have been ornery as of late. I don't think Rod would approve.
  • Options

<< <i>TN, Thats got to be the most ignorant post of the year. Apparently you don't follow sports. I'll bet you were always picked last to play for a team. Barry has already admitted to "unknowlingly" taking steriods. Please take your 2 cents worth of opinion and flush it.

NEXT >>

Tell us how you really feel.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He said something about ointments he thought were for pain . . . >>

You know, this forum is kind of fun. You guys seem to have a wicked sense of humor.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GO BONDS!!!! I know Im the minority but I am sticking by my favorite player!
  • Options

<< <i>I hope the whole entire sports world finds out Barry never took any steroids at all .

I'm not a Big Barry Bonds fan , and not a Big Giants fan or anything , but I just hate to see a man accused when there really is no strong proof that he's actually done something wrong .

Where is the proof ?
    He got big ?
    < Shrug >

:Edited for: horrible grammar >>

Yeah, I somewhat agree with your point about proof and all, even though it seems "likely" that he did something "not quite right". However, if you ask me, even if you take the whole steroids/HGH off the table, the guy is still one of the biggest jack-asses the game has seen in recent times. Add to that the fact that he's a racist, and that's enough for me to hate him. For that alone I would be happy to see him end up on 751!
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    It's funny, but where's the outrage over cortisone shots that players take to ease the pain that allow them to make another start? Schilling takes a cortisone shot to get through the pain and he becomes the 'bloody sock hero'.

Bonds is going through a slump, like all great hitters go through. I don't remember anyone asking these types of questions when Pujols was slumping to start the year.

All these Bonds haters coming out with all this spite for no real reason would be funny if it weren't so sad. Why do you care so much? Because he's going to break the HR record of a guy who doesn't care a thing about you? Because he's been a jerk to the media? Because you feel he owes you something?

Look, until he fails a drug test, he gets a pass. Dislike him because of his personality, but to call the leigitimacy of his HRs into question (or any other suspected steroid user) without facts, not opinions, is ridiculous.
  • Options
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    <<He's fine. He has just had his mind on prior commitments he made during the off-season.

On his days off he "rented" himself out to various float parades around the country. The problem is, his head is too large to fit through most city blocks so he is now relegated to large open towns in the midwest.

I have proof:

image>>

Matt, where did you get that picture of Placido Polanco in a Giants uniform?
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Bonds = pond scum
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Wow, the Carew guys have been ornery as of late. I don't think Rod would approve.

Too Funny.

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622

<< <i>I hope the whole entire sports world finds out Barry never took any steroids at all .

Where is the proof ?
    He got big ?
    < Shrug >

:Edited for: horrible grammar >>

DUDE your not serious are you?

you know about the leaked garnd jury testimony dont you?

bonds admitted he did steroids, he said "he didnt know they were steroids at the time"

Stop with this innocent until proven guilty stuff....it doesnt apply here

The leaked grand jury testimony WAS FROM BONDS MOUTH HIMSELF....you dont need a trial, he admitted using already....

• Options
    Well, that's really the only defense he has , you have to take a man at his word don't you , I mean unless you're a mind reader .

I'm not in any way a huge Barry Bonds fan and I'm really more concerned with the scar baseball will have than Barry and honestly, that's the only reason I said anything at all .

I guess what I should have said was simply , I just wish this wasn't happening.

Could you imagine how many people would be so much more excited right now about baseball if this wasn't happening ?

And . . .
    What happens in 5 years when they call Red Bull Performance enhancing ?
    Not to make an argument , just a " What if "
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And . . .

That's funny.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    ,i think jose canseco did a pretty good job of ratting them out at the hearing, hes huge too,you know he did em,hes still huge,besides the roids that a ton of em were in on in the congressional hearing,i dont like him because he has no personality,hes gonna break it though,then hopefully a-rod will break it again, either way, i stocked up on tons of psa 10 rookies of arod, not so much bonds, just a few of the tougher update cards for insurance ,then ill sell em lol
  • Options

<< <i>And . . .

That's funny. >>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was looking for the sarcasm keystroke , but they forgot that one on my keyboard .

I'm pulling for A-Rod too I just hope he is still a New York Yankee when he does it .

We just picked up an A - Rod autographed baseball a few days ago too.

• Options
    I have an extra PSA 10 '93 Refractor of Bonds if you're interested, stown.

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i like red bull lol, good stuff,some of it is pretty gross, coke used to like cocaine too
    ps, congressional hearing proved the fact ,someone could come out and drop a dime on half the baseball players if they wanted, remember jose conseco at the congressional hearings,i remember bonds and plenty of em, jose dropped a dime back them and went into seclusion it seems,mlb baseball knows all about it, so does vince mccmahan when it comes to big time "pro" wrestling,they just turn their heads and look the other way ,why, money, one simple word,well 2 money and greed lol
    randy
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    If it is ever proven that Bonds used steriods, that would be terrible for baseball. My guess is that nothing will ever be proven but most of you will still believe he did it.

Yes, I am a Bonds fan, Yes I believe he used steriods, Yes I believe at least half of all professional athletes from all sports were also using steriods. Why does the media and so many want to single out Bonds, is it because of the record? It is good for sports when records are broken. After Barry does it this year, there is a very good chance Arod will break it yet again in the future. That is good for baseball. Investigations, allegations and bad reporting from a hatefull press does nothing for the sport we all care so much about.

dave

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    the only thing up with Barry is his HR total. image

I think we all know the only way Bonds could be indicted and it is not going to happen. Anderson seems to be enjoying prison life and they won't keep him there forever.

I continue to be amazed at how much vitriol is spewed at and about Bonds. This goes much deeper than the steroid allegations and Barry's crappy off the field mantra. Granted, Barry has done a miserable (understated) job on the PR side but I think the press has played an enormous role in vilifying him, completely out of proportion with his alleged transgressions. I think they're frustrated because all their digging has produced absolutely nada.

I'm tired of the controversy. Hopefully, after he shatters the record, it will die down and we can start the Alex Rodriguez and Albert Pujols countdowns. If it's any consolation, one of these guys has at least an outside and perhaps even a decent shot at the HR record provided they stay healthy.

I am glad I live in the Bay Area and will be surrounded by people who will actually enjoy this event. As much as I love Aaron, I am looking forward to this milestone. It takes absolutely nothing away from Hank in my mind.

Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set