Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1972 Baseball Uncut sheet

Did anyone else see this? I was watching this auction on Ebay just to see how it would turn out. Over $1700!!, is that about right or a crazy price? Sorry I can't provide the link but it closed this morning. Paul
#1 2000 Blue Xceptional Set(and #2 and #3, it's a sickness)
1933 Giants

Comments

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    72 Uncut sheet

Another was listed on ebay about 6 weeks ago......it had a BIN of $700 and sold in less then a few hours!!
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,445 ✭✭
    You have to wonder how well it was taken care of - did you see those nasty carpet stains in the picture. If dude can't take care of his house, how well can he possibly take care of a collectable?
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    The seller is one of the best in the hobby- I would trust his description.
    I was floored by how high this one went- well over double what it should have. All I can think is that there are a couple of new guys going after '72 sheets.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    That's a fantastic item and, it appears that is was rolled in a poster tube for quite some time.
    What I love about these items is looking at the placement of the cards on the sheet. Interesting how many of the cards around the edges are not really notoriously tough cards. At one time I recall the Phillies Rooks, Freed, Series 1 checklist , a few of the leader cards and some others being tough to find with NM-MT or Mint centering but nothing like a Kendall , Mcrae or Foli.
    What's funny is that the cards at the very top end of the sheet . Yanks Rooks, Oliver, Mcnally and the Brewer team are among the easier ones in the entire set.
    Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?
  • Options
    "I was floored by how high this one went- well over double what it should have. All I can think is that there are a couple of new guys going after '72 sheets."

so....... under normal circumstances the sheet should have sold for about $850.00 ??

imho.........

$1700 in a few years will seem cheap!!
  • Options
    I've watched (or won) uncut sheets for about 6 years. '72's in this condition typically go for $650-800. I got a really nice last series '71 sheet a few years ago with Baylor/Baker for just under 600. And a '48 Bowman sheet of 36 framed went for $1300. plus 15% last week
    To put it in perspective, this '72 sheet cost less than I paid for a '49 Bowman sheet, '62 Topps hi number, and '34 World Wide Gum panel in the last year. This one had a fairly low feedback bidder as the high bid, a newly registered guy as the underbidder at 1683, and the 3rd bidder was at 1234. After that the next bidder was at $309. I"m betting the next one won't go nearly as high- Jon B. had good timing on the listing.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    It seems the high bidder on this sheet has won a few lately, but seems to always get run up by someone who gets NARU'd. The 3rd bidder is always around half of the going price.

• Options
    I had to laugh about the stains on the carpet. If it was dip or snuff, I wouldn't be surprised. He is one of the great guys in the hobby and an incredibly knowledgable individual.
    #1 2000 Blue Xceptional Set(and #2 and #3, it's a sickness)
    1933 Giants
  • Options
    well that does it for me, I will no longer buy cards off anyone unless they have a psa 9 or 10 mint carpet u know u cant trust people with dirty carpets. u carpet baggers watch out