Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Question - Confusing PSA grading process?

Anyone have any idea how PSA assigns the work to their graders? It does not appear to be first in, first out (FIFO) because people are waiting on April specials. Could it be that they assign the oldest to a grader and then that person is slow or it is a large order, it takes longer than someone who is faster and gets smaller order?

I had one Customer Service (CS) person tell me they do not have any more information than we get when we enter in the submission number and zip code. They only see the date received, date grades posted, and date shipped. This does not seem possible to me. Anyone heard that?

And BTW, in the video about the grading process, they show the graders with computers on their desk. They enter the grades of each card into the computer. Why is not possible for their Customer Service to be view where in the process your submission is at - Grader 1, Grader 2, encapsulation, etc.? I understand that until everyone agrees on the grade it may change - but you could hide the grade information from the CS folks and still give them some information to convey to us - the customer.

Anyone else find this process confusing?
WANTLIST
1992 Topps FB Golds (72% complete)
1997 Topps FB Minted in Canton (10% complete)
1999 Topps FB Record Numbers Gold (80% complete)
2001 Topps FB MVP Promotion (35% complete)

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    uh huh

Steve
    Good for you.
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    its not a first in first out thats for sure. i do belive that there are graders that specialize is certain eras, which could explain the hold up on the vintage special. however, if you can grade a card you should be able to grade any year. now you might not know if there are issues with conterfits but the expert in the field should be able to check those. a PSA8 modern card and PSA8 T206 have the same criteria. whether or not its real or fake the expert in that era would need to decide.

as to how they pick the subs off the shelves i cant speculate on. some think that smaller orders get taken first cuz they are easier to clear. some say that if you have mixed era cards it takes longer, maybe due to the above. generally when i send in under the modern specials ($5/$75 value limit) mine usually take 2 calendar months to pop. some say that is due to the oddball favre cards that i submitt. i havent really done the experiment as one of my old thesis advisors always said. that is to send just regular issue cards (same number) and oddball issue cards (same number) at the same time and see which pops first. i generally combine to saving the double shipping costs.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    If I had to guess, I would say that the size of the order affects the turnaround time, I think. I've had 100 card subs pop in 3 days and pop in 2 months so up to that amount I don't think there is really a change. My last sub was 675 cards and every process along the way was slow. It took 2 weeks to log it in, 50 days to grade it and even the return shipping was slow. The post office took a week and a half to get the Registered package back to me. I just sent in a 960 card order a couple days ago so we'll see what happens.
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    I also have a question I was going to start a new topic but the topic on this thread would have been the same so I figured why waste more space and resources and add mine here. I hope that is ok and sorry if I am steppin on toes by adding this...

My question is about the grading process far as when they update stuff via web and where the sub is at.

I sent only a 60 card sub on June 28th for the June $5 per card special. It got there July 3rd and on July 9 was entered. I go this when looking it up via web.

>>Your shipment was entered on 07/09/2007. Further processing is pending.<<

Tonight I noticed when I check my sub status online the processing is pending is gone. Now it says this...

>>Date Received: 07/09/2007
    Date of Grades Posted: No Date Specified
    Date Shipped: No Date Specified<<

Does this mean they are now in the works on grading my sub or its in the waiting to be graded line?

Not complaining here at all. I just want to learn the process so I know is all image

• That means they have just checked it in...you never know when they are grading them...only when they are finished...then it will have your grades up and when it will ship...

All that has happend at point is that your card is in the system...image
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    ahh so this could take days-weeks for the grades to show. This is my 3rd submission. The first 2 were lightning quick. So I wasnt sure what that meant exactly image

Thank you

Tim
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Isn't it strange that ex-PSA graders, like, say, Andy Tuttle, do not come out with more of this kind of information. Those guys must know all of the ins and outs of the grading process and procedures.
    Does anyone on the Boards know an ex-grader? Why do you think this veil of secrecy still exists? Is PSA like the Masons???
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I suspect they keep the info to themselves in order to keep the advantage.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Excellent point, grif
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I think Andy Madec was at one time, an ex-PSA grader. Although I'm not sure how much info he would be willing to share about the experience.

To answer pswebauctions, you have a lot of valid questions
    about the grading process. Instead of us all speculating, why not ask Joe Orlando directly in a email or phone him. He's pretty much a straight shooter whenever I've spoken with him at card shows. Maybe he can further explain the grading process/procedures at PSA. If he can't do it, no one can.

A little off topic, I would like to see PSA impliment two changes to the PSA label. First, I would like to see the date the card was graded assigned to the label area. Like the Month and year would be fine. That would give us all a time line of when a card was graded. There's always so much speculation of when certain serial numbers were graded, or who grader 31400000 is, stuff like that. It might put an end to those questions. It might make for more questions too, you never know.

Secondly I'd like to see the name, yes the actual name of the submitter listed on the label. Just the first initial and last name would be fine. Further documenting the grading process. I'm sure many of you guys can guess why I would want this info available.

The existing bar code on the current PSA label is useless and appears to be just for show. Does PSA scan these barcodes after the card is encased in it's holder? Probably not. I see no use for them at all except for window dressing on the holder. Unless there's another need for them on the holder, I'm not aware of it.
    Getting rid of the barcode would give the label room for grade dating and name of the submitter. Both useful info if you ask me.

• MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    "Anyone have any idea how PSA assigns the work to their graders?"

There are many factors, the two biggest being the service paid and what cards are submitted. Certain graders only grade certain cards, depending on personal knowledge and experience.

This is how it should be done. You do not want someone grading a card with no experience with that set.

Another factor is the mix of cards submitted. An order of 100 cards from the same set is going to be easier to grade then 100 cards from all different sets.

"Anyone else find this process confusing?"

I would likely not use the word confusing. For example, if you do not know what is in a box, that does not make you confused, that would make you ignorant (which means not knowing). We are all of course ignorant on many things.

Good luck with your grades and collection.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

And BTW, in the video about the grading process, they show the graders with computers on their desk. They enter the grades of each card into the computer. Why is not possible for their Customer Service to be view where in the process your submission is at - Grader 1, Grader 2, encapsulation, etc.? I understand that until everyone agrees on the grade it may change - but you could hide the grade information from the CS folks and still give them some information to convey to us - the customer.

Anyone else find this process confusing? >>

There's such a thing as too much information. I deal with factories and their lead times all day. Customers just want their stuff - they don't really give a hoot where it is in production. They think they do, but they don't. They think they can pinpoint delivery better with knowing exactly where their order is, but the two have little to do with each other. The problem with that knowledge, though, is that the customer will badger production: "Well, if it was at point A 3 hours ago why isn't it at point B now?"; "It was at grader one 3 days ago, how come it hasn't shipped?" Those aren't really legitimate questions; CSRs are better off not giving the customer that kind of info.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Anyone else find this process confusing? >>

There's such a thing as too much information. I deal with factories and their lead times all day. Customers just want their stuff - they don't really give a hoot where it is in production. They think they do, but they don't. They think they can pinpoint delivery better with knowing exactly where their order is, but the two have little to do with each other. The problem with that knowledge, though, is that the customer will badger production: "Well, if it was at point A 3 hours ago why isn't it at point B now?"; "It was at grader one 3 days ago, how come it hasn't shipped?" Those aren't really legitimate questions; CSRs are better off not giving the customer that kind of info. >>

Excellent point-- I'd never thought of it that way, but you are of course right. If everyone got their subs back in three days nobody would give a damn where there cards were in the grading process on day two.

I'd also add that PSA has said, more than once, that if submit something under one of the monthly specials do not expect it back for 45 business days. If it comes back earlier than that it should be considered a bonus.
  • You have to remember this whole thing is a process...it's not like once your cards arrives at PSA that they are the only cards being graded...your new cards have to get into line...and yes...graders are divided into their expertise...would you really want a grader that is only knowledgeable of modern cards grading vintage cards? Or visa versa...

Think of the system as a production line...the orders come in and are imputted into the system...they are basically checked in and given a number...that number corresponds to the card and the paperwork that accompanies the card...the card has identification (the number)...it is then assigned to a particular group of graders (where the card is to be graded)...

It might help to view the video that PSA has on it's website...here is a link...choose which way you want to view it...and your questions might be answered...this is a video about how your cards are graded...

Keep in mind that this happens once your cards get in the front of the line....

PSA Video Link
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Try putting a $100 dollar bill in there and see how fast it gets done image
  • I have an informant who will remain anonymous who gave me the inside scoop on the grading process.

Every morning they assemble the graders in the employee lounge. They rearrange all of the furniture, spin them around for a full two minutes and release them. The first grader to find the door without his cane and seeing eye dog is assigned the first order, the second one the second order etc.... Now the orders are prioritized by how many times you call customer service asking why your order hasn't been checked in yet. Every time you call your order is moved back one week. Any post you make on the boards titled, "HAS ANYBODY ELSE WAITED TWO MONTHS FOR THEIR ORDER TO BE CHECKED IN" , or something similar to that will get your order moved back two weeks. Once your order is checked in the well known practice of easiest first takes over. Then any post you make on the boards titled, IS ANYONE ELSE STILL WAITING FOR APRIL 1996 GRADES", will move your order back one month. So you see the best policy is to send them in, go to your local hospital, bribe a doctor to induce a four month coma, awake and be pleasantly surprised to find your order somewhere in transit to you. Oh, yes and have a box and packing material ready to send back the 20% Mechanical Errors to help shave off a couple of days. (Frodo the labeler has finally enrolled in the "English as a second language" classes at a local University).

This could just all be my impression of how it works but I believe it to be frighteningly accurate.

However, I love PSA and have over 1,500 PSA graded cards. I have two submissions in now. I am on my why to the hospital Monday morning. I will see if my theory is correct in three months. Good luck to you all.
    Looking for 1971 Topps Football PSA 8 NQ or above, and slowly working my way into the 1962 Topps Football Set. Check out my 1972 Topps Football Set 100% Complete.
  • All,

Thanks for the insight and the comments. With only 35-40 grades under my belt and my largest order to date (45 cards) in with them, I was getting frustrated when I saw other orders popping with dates received later than mine.

A special thanks to MorellMan and Boopotts - your comments were enlightening and, I admit, right on. If PSA had a 3 day turn on everything, I would not care. It is only when it drags on and on that you want to know what is going on. Perhaps knowing too much about the process is not as good a thing as I initially thought.

I guess the next step it to patiently wait for the grades to pop or enter the hospital as remobolan suggests. Not sure which is the least painful.
    WANTLIST
    1992 Topps FB Golds (72% complete)
    1997 Topps FB Minted in Canton (10% complete)
    1999 Topps FB Record Numbers Gold (80% complete)
    2001 Topps FB MVP Promotion (35% complete)
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    lol-remobolan , i think that just about sums it up all right there!!!!ive never heard it better explained before, but that hit the nail right on the head!!!
    rubesmilitariaandsportcards.com

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage -this is what they look like-
    now ill get my 300+ card from june next june-right!lol
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Steel yourself with the knowledge that nothing you could ever do would speed up the process. It just is what it is-- grousing about it is like
    grousing about the movement of glaciers; it's entirely outside your sphere of control, so why waste time fretting over it?

I have a couple subs that were logged in earlier this month,and I'll check them out when I get an email I know they're done. Otherwise, I spend the energy that would go to getting upset on something more constructive-- like, for instance, deciding how best to waste my money on Ebay.