Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ichiro is great....

"If I ever saw myself saying I'm excited going to Cleveland, I'd punch myself in the face, because I'm lying."

Who knew he was so funny?

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome. When did he say this?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I read it in the new issue of ESPN The Magazine. I just can't picture him saying this which makes it so damn funny.

Lee
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    your icon prevents me from taking anything you say seriously, lee.

i think you made it up and are trying to spread false rumors about Cleveland.

yf
    julen
    tgif
    blah blah blah
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    that sounds way to coherent for Ichiro.

Usually he sounds like this

rap dance? 5 dorrah! me ruv u long time!
  • Options
    true story from this past week: i went to a korean bbq and their menu spelled available as "avairable". lmao

i am half vietnamese, so i am not being racist.

well yes i am.

julen
    tgif
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    I have eaten my weight in kalbi and bulgogi many many times.
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I also love Ichiro. I can't wait to see him play RF for the White Sox next year! image
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

<< <i>your icon prevents me from taking anything you say seriously, lee.

i think you made it up and are trying to spread false rumors about Cleveland.

yf
    julen
    tgif
    blah blah blah >>

SI quoted it too. I was totally LOL'ing when I read it.
    Travis
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You said bulgogi......
  • Options
    Yeah, I saw that a couple of weeks back... freakin hillarious! Of course, this was the English translation through his interpreter, but I suspect it couldn't have been that far off from what he actually said. For a guy that comes across as all business, he actually does have a comical side, although I'm not entirely sure that it's intentional, lol.

Last night I was listening to the game on the radio and Dave Niehaus told a story about asking Ichiro if he had a goal on his mind of breaking his own hit record of 262 this season. Ichiro's response was something like... "if I had it on my mind all the time, then the goal would be unattainable"... something very zen like that. I just wish he would do public interviews in English. I know he speaks it well enough... probably better that the majoity of Americans, lol. I have a feeling we're missin a lot of zany stuff coming from him.

Ichiro-to-date highlights in the 2007 season:
    BA: .358 (2nd in AL, 3rd in MLB)
    Hits: 105 (1st in AL, 2nd in MLB... 1 behind Holliday)
    SB: 22 (2nd in AL, 4th in MLB)
    Runs: 52 (6th in AL, 9th in MLB)
    BA w/RISP: .431!
    BA late inning of close games: .455!
    On pace for 247 hits
    On pace for 87 RBI (a career high by 18)
    25-game hitting streak...
    Followed by 2 games without a hit...
    Followed by a 16 game hitting streak (currently active)
    Defense (CF): RF of 3.16, 4 assists, 0 errors in 206 total chances

OK... I'll get off my soap box nowimage
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    I saw this too and, while funny, I think was taken out of context. The mariners and indians had an early season series (4 games, I think?) that was wiped out to snow. They've had to travel to Cleveland on what should be 'off' days the past month or so to make them up, thereby not giving the team many off days. I have to think that his reply about going to Cleveland is in response to that...but who knows, he may despise Cleveland.

• Options
    killjoy

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options

<< <i>I saw this too and, while funny, I think was taken out of context. The mariners and indians had an early season series (4 games, I think?) that was wiped out to snow. They've had to travel to Cleveland on what should be 'off' days the past month or so to make them up, thereby not giving the team many off days. I have to think that his reply about going to Cleveland is in response to that...but who knows, he may despise Cleveland. >>

No, I actually think he hates it there, lol! If you look at some of the footage of when they played the half game there in the snow in April, dude does not look very happy standing there freezing his ass off in CF. I think that experience pretty much eliminated Cleveland from the list of teams he would ever go to.
    Jim G
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options

<< <i>
    No, I actually think he hates it there, lol! If you look at some of the footage of when they played the half game there in the snow in April, dude does not look very happy standing there freezing his ass off in CF. I think that experience pretty much eliminated Cleveland from the list of teams he would ever go to. >>

Well especially after his comments, he definitely won't be going to Cleveland.
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Quote is in Sports Illustrated this week as well.
  • Options
    CD, is your icon the kid from the Karate Kid movie?
  • Options
    Yes, thanks for noticing.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    There was nothing taken out of context image

You can mark CLE off his free-agency tour.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I knew I recognized (and was very annoyed by) the kid in that picture! Doesn't he say something about putting him "in a body bag " when he makes that face? Oh, the memories are rushing back!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    It's many years down the road, but I can't wait for Ichiro to give his HOF speech through a translator! But then again, that might not happen ... if he can really speak English proficiently.

The funny thing is at after a mere approximately 1000 MLB game, he already has borderline HOF "numbers" per Baseball Reference.

Black Ink: Batting - 27 (66) (Average HOFer ¡Ö 27)
    Gray Ink: Batting - 94 (238) (Average HOFer ¡Ö 144)
    HOF Standards: Batting - 30.0 (260) (Average HOFer ¡Ö 50)
    HOF Monitor: Batting - 147.0 (81) (Likely HOFer > 100)

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options

<< <i>It's many years down the road, but I can't wait for Ichiro to give his HOF speech through a translator! But then again, that might not happen ... if he can really speak English proficiently.

The funny thing is at after a mere approximately 1000 MLB game, he already has borderline HOF "numbers" per Baseball Reference.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

hope you are right...I Just picked up his rookie auto -
  • Options
    Dear hofautos,

I assume you negotiated a deal off of ebay for the card? Because I see that it was up for auction here:

2001 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection Ichiro Suzuki BGS 9

but the seller ended the auction early because of an "error in the listing."

I'm curious to see what a BGS 9.5 of this card will go for. A BGS 9.5 (with the old BGS label) sold for $7,885.00 on January 28, 2007 here:

2001 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection Ichiro Suzuki BGS 9.5

The buyer was "cicollect" out of Yonkers, N.Y. This same card is now up for auction here:

2001 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection Ichiro Suzuki BGS 9.5

and the seller is "red-zone." Maybe cicollect and red-zone are alter-egos for a buying/selling account?

I checked my records and saw that a BGS 9 of the card sold for $3,051.00 here on January 14, 2007:

2001 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection Ichiro Suzuki BGS 9

I think the interesting thing is that Ichiro has literally thousands of cards graded by PSA and BGS, but at any given time, very, very few of them are available on ebay. My search of PSA, BGS and SGC cards shows that there are only 43 PSA and BGS cards on ebay right now. I guess this shows that a lot of collectors out there holding on to their Ichiro cards.

/s/ JackWESQ

• Options
    Thanks for the info..
    Sounds like you have been following them...I haven't followed them closely but I know they are tough to find...
  • Options

<< <i>It's many years down the road, but I can't wait for Ichiro to give his HOF speech through a translator! But then again, that might not happen ... if he can really speak English proficiently. >>

I think that given the opportunity to give a speech he would do so in English...unlike a Q&A where its easier for him to field a quicker answer in his native language.

<< <i>The funny thing is at after a mere approximately 1000 MLB game, he already has borderline HOF "numbers" per Baseball Reference. >>

He has an outside chance at 3000 hits, which would make him an automatic HoFer (only Palmiero will be the only 3000 hit club member without HoF status). Even if he gets to 2500 or so, he'll be a lock.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I knew I recognized (and was very annoyed by) the kid in that picture! Doesn't he say something about putting him "in a body bag " when he makes that face? Oh, the memories are rushing back! >>

enjoy.. hours of entertainment right here.
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    ttt for the body bag.
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>It's many years down the road, but I can't wait for Ichiro to give his HOF speech through a translator! But then again, that might not happen ... if he can really speak English proficiently.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

Yes, I noticed that as well while browsing through that site the other day. As a huge Ichiro fan, I try to keep an eye on that sort of thing. Things do look promissing for him to make the HOF in my opinion. I feel that if he continues what he's doing this year and has maybe 2 more years like it, he'll be in. It looks like 2,000 hits in 9 years is totally possibly (and highly likely barring injury, imo). I know a lot of people say he will become way less affective as he ages and slows down a bit, but I just don't see it. The guy keeps himself in immaculate physical condition, and while age may reduce his speed towards his later 30's, and can't see that making a huge difference. Even if you cut his IF hits in half, he's still likely to break 200 hits a year. Granted, you never know when I guy is just going to "lose it" due to age or injury, but I think this is likely likely with a guy like Ichiro.

Anyway, it's crazy to think that he could very easily be looking at 10+ straight 200 hit seasons. He's already set so many team, league and MLB records in such a short time. Given a few more years the records will just continue to fall. I would really like to see him make a run at a really long hitting streak. If he just could have slapped a hit each in those 2 games vs Texas earlier this month, we'd be possibly looking at a run on Dimaggio as he'd have 44 straight. Of course, the pressure of that may have had an influence, but it's still fun to think about. I would really like to see him get up to at least 25 on his current streak (now at 17). Not sure if anyone has ever done two 25-gamers in the same season.

Well, personally I'd like to see him stay a Mariner as that's how I get to see him the most on TV and in person. Part of me does want to see how he'd do on another squad though. Imagine... all of the amazing things that he's done over the past 7 years have been accomplished while playing in the worst hitters park in the AL. I think he's see increased productivity in maybe every other ballpark but Petco (almost as bad as Safeco for hitters) and Fenway (I think that short LF would hurt him as he slaps dozens of hits out there every year).

Jim G
  • Options
    wow.

lost for words, get me a body bag!

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Wow. The Ichiro RC Ultimate Collection BGS 9.5 sold for $6,200.00. That's almost $1,700.00 less than what is previously sold for ... or at least what it sold for back in January 2007.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's many years down the road, but I can't wait for Ichiro to give his HOF speech through a translator! But then again, that might not happen ... if he can really speak English proficiently. >>

Ichiro speaks passable English (learning Japanese-English and vice versa is one of the most difficult of all languages) but prefers to use translators. Ichiro enjoys being mysterious, an enigma, if you will. No doubt a huge ego but can can walk the walk.