Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question for You Football Guy's

Good day All,
I am a Non Sport guy so need some help with info about Football cards. My 10 year old started last year collecting Football, mostly last 3-5 year commons, but he has now expressed an interest in starting to get some vintage stuff, and is starting to become aware of value as well as just wanting to collect. I am thinking of putting together a large package of unopened Wax for him to Rip at Christmas. I am Tracking right now a bunch of Topps packs from 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 and Fleer 78. What is the general price I should pay for these packs? Is there anything you would recommend in this lot or to stay away from in this lot. Any other General recommendations or good sources to get reasonable packs from this era that have a chance to have a Star or the like.
Thanks for all your help.
Neil
Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    Seems to me that some of those packs would be extremely expensive (ie, the 76 Topps due to the Payton rookie). What kind of cards does he want - - commons? stars? You may be better off buying cards from e-bay/shows, etc. I bought several 1970s star cards at a recent show for less than $1. Or, maybe he just likes opening packs. If so, pick up some more modern ones (90s/91s, etc). You can pick up boxes for about $15 and they are loaded with stars that your son should know (Rice/Elway/Marino/Montana/White/, etc.)
  • Options
    I wouldnt buy any ungraded packs on Ebay unless I knew the seller and his reputation. Even then its a crapshoot.....
  • Options
    Depends on the money your looking to spend. I think that all the Fleer Team Action sets are way undervalued (Ibelieve you can get most boxes for 40 deolivered).Of topps, the 83 is very reasonable with the Allen RC, second yrs of Lott / Taylor. Next I would offer up 85 topps, the black beauties.
  • Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    If you are interested,
    I have
    1979 topps wax packs
    1980 topps wax packs
    1981 topps cello packs
    1982 topps wax packs
    1982 topps cello packs
    1983 topps wax packs

All football with 100% ebay rating.
    PM if you need something,
    Roger-
  • Options
    thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323
    Good Morning,
    Well I would have to admit that my Boy just said he wanted some older Football cards like the Vintage stuff that his Dad collects. I kinda arbitrarily picked the 70's cause I know I can't afford the 60's Vintage in Football like I do in the Non Sports Stuff. But I don't think he would be disappointed in some 80's or 90's stuff. But as I am sure partly in my mind is the Hope that he could open some Vintage stuff and get a real doozer as he has seen happen with my stuff time to time.
    I am still interested in getting him some 70's stuff. There is a Dealer on E-Bay selling a bunch of packs right now that don't look to be tampered with, although I could be wrong as Non Sport doesn't get tampered as there isn't enough value normally so I don't know what it looks like if it is tampered with. The Dealer is "Gedonit" with 558 Feedbacks with 100% positive. Anybody have any experience with this guy or know anything. Also where would be a good place to find as well as price for the 83 or 85 Topps box.
    Thanks
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Easy answer is www.bbcexchange.com

Best in the biz. I have bought from him many times, in fact, I just bought 2 racks of 86 Topps football and got a Rice rookie. Can't beat that. image

My 81 racks cost me @ $20, 79 Racks cost me $25 or so, and 86 rack was $28.