Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1994 sp Arod psa 9

Good time to sell right now? Last one went for $430. I think I have $300 in for it. Anybody feel as if it will go up? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    There's a lot of 9's out there, so I don't think the card will climb in price too much. If you can get $425 or so for yours now that he's the hottest hitter on the planet, you can probably buy it back for $50 - $75 less sometime in the next year.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    I might see if it continues to go up. I agree there are a lot of 9's out there. I might want to take the proceeds and put a down payment on something vintage. I am not much of a modern collector.
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221

<< <i>I might see if it continues to go up. I agree there are a lot of 9's out there. I might want to take the proceeds and put a down payment on something vintage. I am not much of a modern collector. >>

The smartest thing I've read all morning. Good luck with the sale
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Give it a month or so and see if he has a legit shot at Bonds' record. It's a big longshot, but it would be a $1500 card if he breaks 70 HRs. When non-collectors start buying, that's when things start to go haywire (Jeter/Bush/Matnle, McGwire RCs, Tiger Woods RCs, etc...)

Lee
  • Options

<< <i>Give it a month or so and see if he has a legit shot at Bonds' record. It's a big longshot, but it would be a $1500 card if he breaks 70 HRs. When non-collectors start buying, that's when things start to go haywire (Jeter/Bush/Matnle, McGwire RCs, Tiger Woods RCs, etc...) >>

With all due respect, Arod could hit 200 HRs this year, and his SP rookie in PSA 9 would never sell for close to $1,500. It's all about supply and demand, and there are just too many 9's out there for that card to break 4 digits. Now 10's are a different story. Not many 10's at all, so those could shoot through the roof.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    PSA 9 '87 Fleer Bonds RCs reached around $150 when he broke the record and there are roughly 7 times more of them than there are of 94 SP Arods. '86 Topps Tiffany Traded Bonds in any grade were selling in the thousands. PSA 9 '85 McGwire Rcs were selling for $250 when he broke the record. Jeter/Bush/Mantle cards were selling for $300-$1000.

When temporary insanity hits the hobby, you can throw supply and demand out the window for at least a month or so.

Lee
  • Options

<< <i>Give it a month or so and see if he has a legit shot at Bonds' record. It's a big longshot, but it would be a $1500 card if he breaks 70 HRs. When non-collectors start buying, that's when things start to go haywire (Jeter/Bush/Matnle, McGwire RCs, Tiger Woods RCs, etc...) >>

I would hold onto it. I have two of these cards and am not planning to sell them now. If you are looking to maximize profit, sell it when/if he gets close to 70...either this season or one in the future...or sell it when he goes for the all time home run records (he's probably going to get to 500 this season...and how old is the guy??).

• Options
    I think he is 31? After having paid stupid money for Mcgwire and Sosa cards back in the day, I might wait on this one
  • Options
    If you want a good comparison, look at Peyton Manning's SP rookie in PSA 9. They were selling consistently in the $650 range before the Colts won the AFC Championship Game. After the win there was a short but decent spike in prices ($750 - $950). Then a MILLION came out of the woodwork and the price was more or less back to normal even before the Super Bowl was played. Oh, and the pops?:

PSA 9 Arod 1,206
    PSA 9 Manning 417

If you're holding out for a PSA 9 Arod to ever see 4 digits, I wouldn't hold my breath. I think the ceiling would be $700-$800. Supply and demand...
  • Options
    colebearcolebear Posts: 886 ✭✭

<< <i>Good time to sell right now? Last one went for $430. I think I have $300 in for it. Anybody feel as if it will go up? Any thoughts would be appreciated. >>

Is it a die cut?
  • Options
    No die cut those I think are pretty rare. Maybe someone can check pop numbers on 9 die cuts
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No die cut those I think are pretty rare. Maybe someone can check pop numbers on 9 die cuts >>

PSA 9 Die Cuts-Only 44
    No PSA 10s...
  • Options
    colebearcolebear Posts: 886 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No die cut those I think are pretty rare. Maybe someone can check pop numbers on 9 die cuts >>

PSA 9 Die Cuts-Only 44
    No PSA 10s... >>

I would unload it
  • Options
    I like CDNuts' advice. Easily a $800-1,000 card if there is even "serious talk" of him breaking the record in July-August.
  • Options
    Thank you
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I've got a pretty nice looking PSA 8. With the prices I just saw on eBay, it might be worth a shot at cracking and resubmitting to PSA or Beckett and try to score a 9.

If you could ever get $500-$600 on your card, I'd probably sell it. I'm not arguing one way or another on what the ceiling might be for this card. If he breaks the record, will it go to $1000??? Who knows. But chances are if he breaks the record or not, it'll eventually go back down, just like the Woods and Bonds cards, and you can buy back then if you want to. In the meantime, too much can go wrong before we can say a guy will break a homerun record after he's hit 14 home runs. After all, all he's done is tie the mark Pujols set last year, and how many did he end up with??

Arod has a great shot at 800 career homers. A lot has to go right though, and health is a major concern for any ball player, just ask Griffey Jr.

shawn
  • Options

<< <i>If you're holding out for a PSA 9 Arod to ever see 4 digits, I wouldn't hold my breath. I think the ceiling would be $700-$800. Supply and demand... >>

I think you're right. But, the Peyton Manning comparison isnt the best. What Peyton did was great...but, winning a championship ring leads to a more transient and lower increase...whereas approaching, reaching and surpassing a hallowed baseball record has a more lasting and magnifying effect. See Bonds, Mcgwire, Sosa, Ripken...
  • Options
    shag-
    Like I said before, it's when NON-COLLECTORS that don't know any better get involved that prices go haywire. Every time something that breaches mainstream society directly relates to the price of a card, the prices temporarily reach unprecedented heights. This is why the Manning analogy doesn't work- someone wins the Super Bowl every year, so it's really not that big a deal. If he breaks Marino's all time passing record, then you can look for the big (temporary) jump.

Did you every think a PSA 9 McGwire RC could sell for $500? How about a PSA 10 86 Traded Bonds selling for over $5k? How about $1000 for the stupid Jeter/Bush card? You're highly underrating the stupidity of stupid people. You're thinking in terms of what a logical collector would think.

Lee
  • Options

<< <i>I think you're right. But, the Peyton Manning comparison isnt the best. What Peyton did was great...but, winning a championship ring leads to a more transient and lower increase...whereas approaching, reaching and surpassing a hallowed baseball record has a more lasting and magnifying effect. See Bonds, Mcgwire, Sosa, Ripken... >>

I actually think the Peyton Manning comparison is a fair one, perhaps even skewed against my argument because there are only 1/3 as many Manning 9's as there are Arod 9's, and the Manning card is numbered. Manning ALREADY broke the single-season TD record, and he is well on pace to eclipsing Marino's all-time marks. The thing that many people held against him was the fact that he had no rings, and that is no longer the case.

The most important thing I wrote, and what would certainly be the case if Arod hits 74 or more, is that everyone and their mother put Manning 9's up for auction the week of the Super Bowl. eBay was literally flooded with them. So a seller's market very quickly shifted to a buyer's market because the supply was so plentiful. I've been in the hobby too long to ever think a high pop card like an Arod 9 would ever double or more in a matter of months. And none of this even takes into account the fact that the HR record has been broken so many times in recent years that it's lost all its luster.

And just as a side note, the market that existed 7-9 years ago when the prices of McGwire and Bonds cards were insane will never return, IMO, even if the economy booms again. It's a different collecting world now. A more savvy one - even for non collectors who swoop in every now and then.
  • Options

<< <i>You're highly underrating the stupidity of stupid people. You're thinking in terms of what a logical collector would think.

Lee >>

As stupid as stupid are they still do stupider and stupider things until the stupidest one does the stupidest thing of all!

"Yes, I'll place a bid of $1,100 on that 2007 Topps Jeter."
  • Options
    shag- How can you say it's a more savvy world? Did you see what the Jeter/Bush cards did for 2 weeks? That was like 3 months ago, and there were millions upon millions of this card everywhere.

The Manning argument only works if non-collectors flock to buy the cards as an "investment", which never happened. Regardless of how many there are, if that artificial inflation doesn't take effect, the card has a ceiling within the collecting community. Once regular people start saying to themselves "I need to buy so-and-so's rookie card as an investment," the market will stay relatively close to where it should.

Like I said before, when regular people start buying a card as an investment, you can throw supply and demand out the window.

Lee
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭
    Take it from me , a collector that was paying 80 dollars a piece for PSA / SGC 9 89 Bowman,Fleer,Donruss,Topps Griffey's oh did I forget 150 to 200 for the Donruss Best and Upper Deck, sell it as fast as you can for a profit and move on.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Three huge differences between A-Rod and Manning:

1) Nobody outside of the hobby world knows about-- or cares about-- football cards. They just aren't part of the national conscious. The average guy 'knows' that old baseball cards can be worth a fortune, and that RC's can make good 'investments', yada yada yada. But they don't think that way about football cards. In fact, I don't think a single football card has ever been the beneficiary of the media hype machine. Even cards like the 1989 Score Barry Sanders were more or less bought by football card collectors, and to a lesser extent card collectors in general.

2) Winning a Super Bowl is not the same as challenging the HR mark. Hell, look at Roger Maris. The guy has secured an eternal spot in the American conscious because of one season. There isn't a single football player-- not Montana, not Namath, not Payton-- who's name resonates with Americans the way Roger Maris' does.

When/if A-Rod starts banging on the door of 73 HR's I think you'll see all kinds of people crawling out of the woodwork looking for his RC. Just look at the 1985 McGwire. That card was going NOWHERE in the beginning of 1998. Then, because of the chase, it goes up about 1500% in four months. Ditto for the 1990 Leaf Sosa. Nobody who wasn't a Cub fan or a die hard collector cared about that card until June of 1998 when he belted 20 HR"s and looked like he might give Big Mac a run. Then, almost overnight, the card caught fire. And Lee's already brought up the Bonds example. Prices for the 1986 Traded/Update cards and the 1987 Fleer were just absolutely off the chain by that July. You couldn't get next to those cards for a fraction of what they were selling for that April.

3) If A-Rod flirts with 70 this year people are going to start looking at him as a VERY legitimate threat to break whatever kind of fraudulent mark Bonds puts up before the end of the year, which will only further the demand for his RC's, since people will see his RC as something that will shoot up in price AGAIN once he gets near 700. You add these three factors to the fact that the '94 SP is as rare as hen's teeth compared to any of the 1985-1987 issues (Tiffany cards excepted) and I can see his RC's-- the SP in particular, but also some of the 2nd tier RC's like the Flair--just jumping through the roof.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
  • Options
    This is rather pointless, so I'll just move on.
  • Options

<< <i>This is rather pointless, so I'll just move on. >>

No one was rude to you. I thought it was just a well-intended discussion. I think the future will show the card to have far greater potential than $450 if he continues to perform well.

Collectors/Fans are just begging for someone to take the spotlight off of Bonds this year, and it appears that ARod is doing just that.
  • Options
    Looks like averaging 300- 325 with 1 to three days left . There are som BIN for $430 with no takers .