Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grading Question

Newbie Here -

What is the price difference between a card that is graded and one that isn't?

Example: I have a 1966 Topps Hank Aaron graded 7.5. I checked the prices on a card without being graded and it list as $250.00.

What would be the difference in price since it is graded?

Thanks
Boz

Comments

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Recent sales on eBay:

PSA 7 $89.99

PSA 8 $280

PSA 7 $95

PSA 7 $105.76
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    Which company did the grading? A 7.5 doesn't translate to a PSA 7.

With PSA, there's a premium for graded cards starting at PSA 8 and higher. Older cards (pre-war) also do better graded.
  • Options
    I hope people don't mind me asking another question here - Can a card that PSA says has evidence of trimming actually not be trimmed ?
  • Options
    I've had pack fresh modern cards come back from PSA "Evidence of Trimming".

First time it came back Evidence of Trimming, second time it came back Undersize.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I think "evidence of trimming" doesn't always go by not meeting minimum size requirements. I spoke to someone for more than a few minutes at SGC and he described several tests they use including comparing the style of paper cut, besides just measuring it.

That said, sometimes one grader is more cautious about trimming than another and so you might get a "trimmed" card graded the 2nd or 3rd time you send it in.