Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Upgrading sets can sometimes be a real beating!

Since the last show I attended in January, I decided to spend some time upgrading my 1968 Topps set because it needed to be done and I needed to focus on one thing while I spend dough on other projects. I did this set a few years ago when I didn't know what I was doing and as a result wound up with quite a few EX-Mt cards, o/c's, etc. I've slowly upgraded it over the years to a NM+/NM-MT set and now need about 60-65 cards to put it to rest.

Man, what a beating this has become! I have all the major stars, and only need a few HOF'ers like McCovey, Stargell, Kaline, etc. but it is giving me tiredhead to search through Ebay looking for Joe Common, graded or ungraded. And then there is the risk of buying ungraded, of course. I just wish I could go to a show and buy 'em all and move on. There are so many other better sets out there.........but I have to soldier on until this is done......as much as it's beating me right now I have to focus until this is finished because I don't want to fool around with this set anymore.

Sorry for the rant!

Ron
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    depending on $$ ( trying not sounding like an a$$) find your next set, see if there are any graded/raw lots on ebay, price stars and commons, look at some non sports set, etc. My 55 set is taking me forever, and I decided PSA a spinkle of 6's mostly7,8, is good enough for me. I cant play with some of the 8's in this set, and others PSa 8's have been selling for half of SMR. i wil even pick up a double psa 8 or 7 of a tough pop, key player, etc to flip a month or so later. I even track PSa 5's and 6's which sell for premuims, and look for raw counterparts for cheap money than can be flipped. I also started looking at some other sets, and picked up a bulk lot of PSa 8 63 fleers. Then I moved over to a non-sport set I had raw and looked for some raw upgrades, now I need just one card for 100% completion. It is TOO easy for me to get burnt out doing the SAME thing for too long.
  • Options
    The Stargell and McCovey are tough in that set. The McCovey in a 9 could be had for about $120-$140. The only 9 Stargell I've seen for sale was for about $800!image

There are other tough ones too. Card #2 is very difficult, the Lolich is impossible, and there are a few commons that are tough too. #517 Diego Segui. I've seen one 10 for over $100, and then lowered to just under $100. This set is considered one of the easiest 60's sets to put together, but the home stretch of it is not easy.

Funny thing is, the Ryan is probably the easiest card to find...and the Bill Kelsoimage
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Stargell I will settle for in 8. McCovey I'd like a 9. I was lucky to find a #2 card in 8 for a decent price. I need to go back and check my Lolich card. Tigers and Cardinals I'll settle for in 8 because given the long term value of the set I don't want to sink money into buying 9's.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, none of my sets are worth anything near what 1950s/1960s sets go for (and I don't do graded cards), but just the fact I have over 57,000 cards makes it a challenge in of itself to keep everything as close to consistently NRMT or better as possible (especially the 1970s). Even if 99% makes the grade, that still leaves 570.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    If you have a nice Lolich, I'd submit it. If you see another #2 in PSA 8 or better, please let me know.image
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.