Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Modern card sells for $10k+

WOW

Let's see, I could buy a Clemente RC and Aaron RC in PSA 8 for less $, which would I choose.. choices, choices.
Collecting Vintage Baseball.
My ebay listings

Comments

• Options
    No way. You know 56 is 56. There's no short print run here people...
    ORANGE
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    WOOO!

That had to be a shill bidder.........
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    tulip bulbs, anyone?

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Check out the winning bidders feedback... this ain't the first one he won, albeit by far the most expensive. This fellow has bought Topps "error" hook, line, and sinker. They appear to be trying to corner the market. Too bad they don't go after 1993 Mark McGuire refractors instead. imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    must b nice to afford such luxuries. image

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Does anybody here remember seeing the Pujols bowman rc refractor auto that sold for over 10k last summer around June or July? I remember it but don't remember if it was gold or graded... have been wondering this.
    ORANGE
  • Options

<< <i>Does anybody here remember seeing the Pujols bowman rc refractor auto that sold for over 10k last summer around June or July? I remember it but don't remember if it was gold or graded... have been wondering this. >>

Wasn't that a BGS 10 example auctioned by bgsbrad or something like that?
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>. They appear to be trying to corner the market. Too bad they don't go after 1993 Mark McGuire refractors instead. >>

Wow! This is some funny stuff!

Not really!
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    BGS 9.5's have been selling for $10k with strong subs. The BGS 10 was close if not over $20k.

That Jeter is just stupid. I won't normally rip on anyone for whatever they want to spend their money on. But that Jeter is stupid. $10k? No auto, no logo patch, not a 1/1...just an insert #/56 for $10k. I don't get it.
  • Options
    TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    I'm speechless. Might be the most idiotic thing I've ever seen. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for it....and that would only be to flip it! only if I could've pulled that thing out of the few packs I bought. Would've payed off some college loans!
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
  • Options
    envoy..not to mention the top left corner ding and the chipped back!!

• Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
    What's the chance that it's some moron trying to bid up the card in hopes of cashing on his auction...diff ID...with no intent to ever complete this deal?

Just a thought.

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What's the chance that it's some moron trying to bid up the card in hopes of cashing on his auction...diff ID...with no intent to ever complete this deal?

Just a thought. >>

Thats what I thought. Just watch ebay for this card to be relisted next week.
  • Options

<< <i>What's the chance that it's some moron trying to bid up the card in hopes of cashing on his auction...diff ID...with no intent to ever complete this deal?

Just a thought. >>

Possibly true, but who the hell bid $9,990 or whatever it was?
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    My question is...IF someone truly bid that high, why on earth would you shill it??? Cmon..that would be a lot of money! I guess you could say greed would make someone do that but DAMN! I suppose he could end up going back and making the second chance offer.

If by chance this is a legitimate sale, I guess there were some that really took to his description to heart. Just insane.
  • Options
    a lot of modern cards sell for a lot of money, but this is one of the dumbest instances I've ever seen...
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    He made a nice profit - Bought it for $1000
  • Options
    Gosh, and to think I would have done something stupid with that kind of money like buying a Roth IRA or something.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Insanity.

I especially like the write up of the cards description:

FOR A COLLECTOR THIS CARD IS A MUST !!! FOR BRAGGING RIGHTS THIS CARD IS ALSO A MUST...OWNING THIS CARD PUTS YOU WHERE NO ONE CAN BE AND THAT IS #1....TOPPS HAS STOPPED PRODUCING THIS CARD AND IT WILL NOT APPEAR IN THE FINAL COMPLETE SET AT THE END OF THE YEAR......SOME OF THE COPPER CARDS HAVE SOLD AS HIGH AS $1,600.00...THAT WAS FOR A REGULAR COPPER CARD WITH A PRETTY HIGH NUMBER..THE PRICE IS HIGH ON THIS ..BUT WHEN YOU OWN IT YOU CAN SET YOUR OWN PRICE BECAUSE YOU WILL BE # 1....

------------------------------------
    Yeah, I too like to brag to my friends that I paid 10 large for a recently printed piece of cardboard. They will be utterly impressed with my thoughtful purchase and shrewd investment of my hard earned money.
  • Options
    I agree with you Kurtman. I would rather have a high-quality classic vintage card like a 1954 Hank Aaron rookie in Psa 8 (you could buy two at that price). I believe vintage cards are the ticket to at least holding their value.

There's nothing more frustrating that purchasing a modern card for big bucks, and realizing a few months later that the card sold for half or one third the price you bought it for.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    maybe the buyer has a need for an ego boost to compensate for feelings of inferiority?

just a guess.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622

<< <i>Does anybody here remember seeing the Pujols bowman rc refractor auto that sold for over 10k last summer around June or July? I remember it but don't remember if it was gold or graded... have been wondering this. >>

it was the bowman chrome refractor auto numbered to 500 (there is only 1 type of pujols bowman chrome auto thankfully), it was graded BGS 10...
  • Options
    With this card, you get the TV watchers that don't really know anything. They look for the Jeter because they want one, then they see "Limited to 56" and they think wow that card is really short printed and buy the #1 out of 56 thing... They simply MUST have the card for its investment value. That's another reason not to watch fluff news.

Thanks for the more info on the PUJOLS. I couldn't believe that sale at the time (I was just getting acquainted with the hobby didn't notice the details), figured at least they got Pujols' rookie out of the deal.

<<(there is only 1 type of pujols bowman chrome auto thankfully)>>

I'd have figured you would want them to make a gold version, something great to have... You know you'd get one eventually.
    ORANGE
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I don't like to judge a collector as stupid as we all collect different stuff. However, that's just STUPID. A person has to have more money than brains. STUPID!
  • Options
    I'd think it was fake 200% of the time but after looking at the bid history...

Bidder 1 has to be a shill. Look at how this bidder bid just short of big round amounts...and how he kept bidding when someone else had the high bid...and how he has 1-9 feedback..eBay user for less than 90 days...

Looking closer bidder 1 is EXACTLY $25 to $50 less than every bid he's shilling. C'MON, at least get creative! NO way all of these bidders are not shilling it up. I don't care about the guy with 1000+ feedback cause you know there is no way the shiller knows to bid EXACTLY $50 less ...7 times in a row....

Bidder 2, lots of bids on same items from same sellers, no winners...could anything scream shill louder?

Bidder 3, May be legit? 82 bids in the last month on mostly different items and not any other with this seller. Did have 3 bid retractions though.

Bidder 4, If any bids are legit this one is likely it as only one bid from this bidder but the fact that #1 comes along at $50 under this bid for his 4th shill makes me wonder still.

Bidder 5-6, both make only one bid that does not come close to high bid. After the fact these didn't do anything to move the price.

Bidder 7, goes back and forth with bidder #1 moving price up in exactly $50 increments moving the price from $3500 to $4050 on Friday night.

Bidder 2 (less than 10 feedback and obvious shill) jumps in with a $6000 bid Sat. night even though the total is only $4000. Then ups it to $7000 without any pressure on the $6000 bid.

Bidder 10 (38 bids to 3 sellers) makes 3 bids and pushes the total right up to the $6000 bid.

Bidder 2 enters $10,000 bid

Bidder 11 enters bid of who knows how much and wins at $10,100.

All bidders are active in the last 30 days but all at about the same rate 20-30 bids a month. I'd love to see the account names as there is now way these bidders are for real, right? Especially bidders 1, 2, 3, 7 and 10. I don't care if you have unlimited money, you shouldn't know the amount of the bids in front of you...which the first 15 bids must obviously have known.

The funny thing is...bidder 11 might be for real! 25 bids on 24 different item to 23 different sellers. That sounds like a sniper with pockets of cash.

Maybe this seller is crazy....like a fox.

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    a fool and his money are soon parted.

stupid money for modern crap image
  • Options
    I just had another thought. What if the auction is nothing more than an attempt to "lose" the card in the mail for insurance money?

After the ebay fees and mailing costs if the card is damaged, which it surely would be if not packaged properly, the seller will recoup $9800 from the insurance company....maybe.

We had a group of students do that here in the upper midwest 10 years ago, insurance scam although with cars. They were foreign kids in public colleges. They were convicted and deported. oops

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just had another thought. What if the auction is nothing more than an attempt to "lose" the card in the mail for insurance money?

After the ebay fees and mailing costs if the card is damaged, which it surely would be if not packaged properly, the seller will recoup $9800 from the insurance company....maybe.

We had a group of students do that here in the upper midwest 10 years ago, insurance scam although with cars. They were foreign kids in public colleges. They were convicted and deported. oops >>

The USPS is very strict about insurance claims, they would want all of the packing materials and if they determine it wasn't packed well they don't pay. The USPS is the last word on that so I don't know if it would work.

If there's money to be made though, people will scam to do it!
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭✭
    Imagine what the card #02/56 (Jeter's number) must be worth. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars