Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Whatever happened to Bo Jackson?

Hey I remember in High School I followed Bo Jackson and lost touch when He got out of sports. Can anyone tell me what he is doing these days? Any links on this............just curious..........Rob
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
(If you want peace, prepare for War).........Semper Fi

Comments

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭
    He has done a tiny bit of acting (not so much recently) and is getting into the food business.
    http://www.ngenuity.net/

He is doing a signing next weekend. I am getting him on a baseball and the b/w football/baseball pic.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Didn't he do a Pros vs Joes episode on SpikeTV last year?
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I dont know if he is still doing it, but he was doing some type of motivational speaking for young kids.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>Didn't he do a Pros vs Joes episode on SpikeTV last year? >>

Yes he did.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    he got fat and fishes a lot.

julen

ps: but he was a BAAAAD man once upon a time
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    JdurgJdurg Posts: 997
    God I remember how his '86 Topps Traded Rookie card was insanely expensive during his hey-day. That was when the whole set was crazy expensive. Jose Canseco, Will Clark, Bo Jackson, Barry Bonds, the four of them made that set insanely expensive to acquire. Then that fateful day against the Bengals when Bo's career, in both sports, flat out died.

I remember not watching football much, or caring about it for that matter, until Bo came around. Then I joined the Raiders' bandwagon and haven't left. The first game I ever watched I remember seeing Bo running down the sidelines, getting tackled and not getting up. Everybody else jumped off the bandwagon but I stayed on through all the horrific years. That one play still is stuck in my head. image
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>God I remember how his '86 Topps Traded Rookie card was insanely expensive during his hey-day. That was when the whole set was crazy expensive. Jose Canseco, Will Clark, Bo Jackson, Barry Bonds, the four of them made that set insanely expensive to acquire. Then that fateful day against the Bengals when Bo's career, in both sports, flat out died.

I remember not watching football much, or caring about it for that matter, until Bo came around. Then I joined the Raiders' bandwagon and haven't left. The first game I ever watched I remember seeing Bo running down the sidelines, getting tackled and not getting up. Everybody else jumped off the bandwagon but I stayed on through all the horrific years. That one play still is stuck in my head. image >>

I rememeber it too..where was everyone else the day a sure-fire HOF'er in 2 sports died???

Loth
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I dont know if he is still doing it, but he was doing some type of motivational speaking for young kids. >>

Yes he is.

Wikipedia Link

He was a good guy. Brash but still humble.

I'll never forget that game against CIN... Seemed like a routine tackle...

Unfortunately, as years go by, he will be known as a coulda kind of player.

In my eyes, for the overall abilities, he was the best of the best prior to the injury.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    There have been many two-sport players before, and after Bo Jackson, but Bo really defined a two-sport Superstar. In both Football and Baseball he was a potential HOFer. On the gridiron he was insanely quick and agile, and on the baseball diamond he had speed, power, range, he could hit for average and he could also gun you out with a throw. It was really sad seeing his careers go down the tubes thanks to a little ol' hip injury.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    Bo has pretty much faded into private life; especially for a guy who was as famous as he was.

He has some sports marketing company of some kind among some lower profiled endeavors.

He is currently living in the western suburbs of Chicago.
  • Options
    He did a pro vs. joe last year, and he was awful and out of shape. It was sad watching him throw from short left field and not being able to throw out a Joe at home plate. His arm was absolutely brutal. This was the same guy who was immortalized for throwing a laser beam from LF, and now he has an 80yr old man arm. Sad.

The best thing about Pro vs. Joe was watching that jerk Bill Romanowski get schooled by the Joe's. Romo was off of steroids, and he was just an average guy now. He was _ocky as heck in the show too. Glad to see guys like that get embarrassed on T.V. by average Joe's.
  • Options
    He was a one-man wrecking crew on Tecmo Bowl

• Options
    Bo will be at this years national.
  • Options
    Sweet, great posts. I remember the game as well and he rocked! Just wanted to see what he was up to. I still wonder what would have happend if he would have concentrated on one sport. He would have soared!!!!!!! My opinion of course but I think his numbers back it............
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    Bo Knows.
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>Sweet, great posts. I remember the game as well and he rocked! Just wanted to see what he was up to. I still wonder what would have happend if he would have concentrated on one sport. He would have soared!!!!!!! My opinion of course but I think his numbers back it............ >>

Regardless of whether he focused on one sport or not, he would have been a HOFer in both. He was simply amazing in terms of raw talent.
  • Options
    I agree with that. I still remember the Long Shot he made at Royals Stadium. It was sad to see him the day he got the career ending injury by a Cincy Defender that he had ran over times before.
  • Options
    I believe there was rumor for a time (before the injury) that he was going to try to make the decathalon in the olympics. I also understand that he is a great golfer and is/was intrested in joining PGA tour.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I am a big Bo Jackson fan. I have been an Auburn fan all my life, and I know his high school coach. That said, there is no way Bo was ever going to make it to the baseball HOF. Look at his numbers before he got hurt. He was a magnificent physical specimen, and great fun to watch, but he was not a great baseball player. I will leave it to others more qualified than I am to discss his potential for the football HOF.

His on-base % was above .300 in two of the five years before he was hurt. For his career it was .309. Strangely his OBP after he was hurt was about the same as it was before.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

<< <i>God I remember how his '86 Topps Traded Rookie card was insanely expensive during his hey-day. That was when the whole set was crazy expensive. Jose Canseco, Will Clark, Bo Jackson, Barry Bonds, the four of them made that set insanely expensive to acquire. >>

Yes, but the 1986 Donruss Rookies was as, if not more, expensive and probably twice as hard to find. I had never even seen the Will Clark until I finally got the set.
  • Options
    My freshman year at Auburn was Bo's Heisman season. The guy was unbelievable. The Buccaneers are my favorite Pro team, but the owner got him disqualified from his senior baseball season with a NCAA violation. I believe it was a plane trip to Tampa. That is the main reason Bo decided to play baseball. Otherwise, he would have been the greatest Buccaneer ever, and a one sport star. In any event, I will always have fond memories of that '85 Auburn season and the highlight reel that was his pro career.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bo Jackson Basic(#1) and Master(#1)
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    Bo was an incredible athlete. However, with that said, how did two Auburn fans figure out how to get here? image ROLL TIDE
  • Options
    Bo was an incredible athlete. However, with that said, how did two Auburn fans figure out how to get here? ROLL TIDE

Methane powered computers, got to use all of those cows for something. image

War Eagle!
    Brent
    Collecting:
    Bo Jackson Basic(#1) and Master(#1)
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I sometimes say that Bo Jackson was the best running back I have ever seen - albeit briefly.

In baseball he was an exciting player who always seemed to not know the game very well. He may have developed as his career ran on, but he showed flashes of brilliance. I wouldn't call him a great baseball player.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might have been one of the greatest all around athlete's ever. I saw him do some incredable things in all sports. Hit a HR to dead center in KC. Throw out a runner flat foot from the right field wall at home. Break long runs and bowl over LB's. Great all around athlete. If it wasn't for that career ending tackle that ruined his hip we may still be talking about him. Joe
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gregmo is right on. Bo was a great football player, but in baseball he was always striking out in critical situations. Sure, because he was a great athlete he showed flashes of brilliance, but he had a hole in his swing you could throw a beachball through.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Guys, we're failing to realize Bo's greatest accomplishment- Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl is the most dominating videogame athlete of all time hands down, followed by Jeremy Roenick NHLPA 95(?), Barry Sanders Tecmo SuperBowl, Tom Chambers Lakers vs. Celtics, and QB Eagles (Randall Cunningham) in Tecmo Bowl.

Lee
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Thanks for the updates. I was curious too after posting this pic in a previous thread:

I wasn't watching TV, I guess, when the Tecmo thing was goin' on. I'll have to google that and see what it was about...
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's some of my Bo collection.

Common stuff.

Star Co Plus Misc

Some Unlicensed Sets And Singles + Classic,Topps UK and Stickers

1988 Topps Football Rack Pack

Jeff
  • Options
    Wow, did Donruss ever take their own pictures, or did they just copy what every other company had already done? image

Anyway, yes, in Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson just ripped apart everybody. The Raiders were nearly unbeatable since nobody could tackle Bo and he was fast as all hell. I remember getting into fights with friends over who got to be the Raiders, so we eventually made a rule that you could not pick the Raiders when we played.
  • Options
    Just renenber, Bo from Home plate to 1base 3.7 seconds
    Mickey Mantle from home to first 3.1 seconds. nuff said!!image
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember in 1986, studying his '86TT card and his '86 Donruss Rookies card and trying to figure out if the same photograph is used. I even remember asking my mom for her opinion too. Studying them again 20 years later, I still can't come to a definite conclusion.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    Frank: It's the same old story. Boy finds girl, boy loses girl, girl finds boy, boy forgets girl, boy remembers girl, girls dies in a tragic blimp accident over the Orange Bowl on New Year's Day.
    Jane Spencer: Goodyear?
    Frank: No, the worst.
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    We also banned the use of the Raiders from any serious Techmo Bowl competetion.

Very side note, but...
    Before Techmo Bowl kept track of the stats of the games for you, I actually had a friend who would tape his games against the computer, and go back and watch the games to compile stats for Bo Jackson.

Sad but true.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭

Classic!

Robert
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Ahhhh yes... the memories...
  • Options

<< <i>Just renenber, Bo from Home plate to 1base 3.7 seconds
    Mickey Mantle from home to first 3.1 seconds. nuff said!!image >>

Where did you get that piece of info from? I don't believe that for a second. Bo was a sprinter in track.
  • Options
    I saw him about 4 years ago at the OKC National Memorial. I used to work there. I was walking by him and stopped suddenly and looked while pointing at him and said "Bo Jackson?" He shook his head yes and put his finger up to his mouth like he didn't want anyone to hear me.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭
    Met him today at a signing in Virginia. Nice guy.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    Was looking for some other cards and found a few more unlicensed ones of Bo.

Only thing on the backs are Bo Knows Jordan, Bart and Gretzky.

• Options
    qmayerqmayer Posts: 286

<< <i>If it wasn't for that career ending tackle that ruined his hip we may still be talking about him. >>

What makes it sad is that the exact same injury that ended Bo's career happened to Priest Holmes 2 or 3 years ago. Holmes had the surgery and played the next year, although he didn't do as well because he had about 300k miles on his odometer and had a guy named Larry Johnson waiting in the wings.

Justin

P.S. Hook 'em
    Currently collecting the Nolan Ryan Basic and Topps Player sets.

NAXCOM
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Actually what's sad about that is the way that Priest is still putting on a front like he might play again and that the Cheifs front office acts like they believes him and continues to pay him to spend the last year and a half on the IR/PUP List.
    Travis
  • Options
    I love Bo.
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭

<< <i>Actually what's sad about that is the way that Priest is still putting on a front like he might play again and that the Cheifs front office acts like they believes him and continues to pay him to spend the last year and a half on the IR/PUP List. >>

I think the front office of the Chiefs know that Priest won't ever be suiting up for them again, but instead of cutting him, are allowing him to retire on his own terms ala Marshall Faulk and Curtis Martin, two running backs who helped elevate their respective franchises on and off the field.

In my opinion, Bo injuring his hip was one of the great sports tragedies of our time because we'll never know how truly great he might've been if he was a full-time baseball player. Barry and Bo broke into the majors around the same time and if Bo kept himself in good shape, who knows what sort of numbers he would've put up.

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry there, bigjed, but you'd better believe it: the Mick was THE fastest goin' to 1st base.
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry there, bigjed, but you'd better believe it: the Mick was THE fastest goin' to 1st base. >>

PROVE IT! Until I see where you got your info your statement is nothing more than BS.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    "Was looking for some other cards and found a few more unlicensed ones of Bo."

Those look like some of the many bootlet (non-licenced) cards that appeared on the market around the Bo era.

Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    after much searcing..i found Bo!

Apparently Bo Knows Beef!
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246

<< <i>Ahhhh yes... the memories... >>

WOW! Both that Bo run and the "Nigerian Nightmare" run are classics! That brought back so many memories. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards