Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Actually kinda cool

2007 #40 Jeter Press Plate 1/1

If nothing else, for historical significance......

Comments

• Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    that actually seems very inexpensive ($751) even though there are over 4 hours left. i would have thought it would go for alot more.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I'll guess it ends up somewhere in the $6,000 neighborhood. Now that's a timely pull.

Lee
  • Options
    Yeah, I was close. $1100 seems way low considering people were paying $400 for the regular version of which there are at least a hlaf-million. I should've bought it and marketed it correctly. Seems like there is more to be made here.

Lee
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume that was pulled in a pack?

I agree Lee - timing - if that came up the same time as the hype on the card? It would've brought more like 4K?

I still think it can bring more also.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Guys, what more could the seller do? Decent title, good subtitle....A+ feedback and scans of both sides...Maybe the hype is over??

EDIT: add a reserve, is that what you are suggesting?
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options
    Maestro maybe?

I do know that ending a big ticket item on a Saturday night is probably not a great idea. People with money tend to go out on Staurday.

Lee
  • Options
    Lee...guess that would be why I am on these boards at 1:40 and have been for the last 3 hours
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Guys, what more could the seller do? Decent title, good subtitle....A+ feedback and scans of both sides...Maybe the hype is over??

EDIT: add a reserve, is that what you are suggesting? >>

I was thinking of the timing myself.

And could have slipped into a big auction recently.

Otherwise - IMO you're right - with respect to wording - he's put about every bell and whistle possible to get attention.

Overall - with the item cooling immensely - 1100 aint nothin' to sneeze at.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike, I concur 100% with you. Just taking a quick look at it, I thought he had his bases covered in every way and quite completely IMO. Maybe a big auction house would have helped and ending on a Sat was prolly not too beneficial but still, you'd think some very high dollar snipes would have hit if the hype wasn't over....

Mike and Lee thoughts??

EDIT AGAIN: I would have thought that a press plate from that specific card with all the recent attention would have ended WAY higher also.
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

• Options
    I also think he may have done a 1 day auction to try and cash in on the hype, which I don't think is necessary with this card. I'm really regretting not buying it- I think there are collectors out there that would pay way more for it.

Lee
  • Options
    Lee, great notice on the 1 day. I missed that and that explains it a bit....WOW, I think he lost some serious $$ by doing that. I wish you had got it.....How bout dem Terps tonight....Getting hot going into the tourney's....got my fingers crossed.....
    Collecting Interests:

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Jete/Bush card itself will drop in value in another week or so to about $20 or less, IMO, but this item I can see going for big bucks at some point in the future in the right venue, as its notoriety and its uniqueness will add more value that what it was bought for tonight, IMHO.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>I also think he may have done a 1 day auction to try and cash in on the hype, which I don't think is necessary with this card. I'm really regretting not buying it- I think there are collectors out there that would pay way more for it.

Lee >>

I agree. I am surprised it only sold for $1100, not that thats anything to sneeze at. This plate will resurface and will go for WAY more than $1100. A Saturday night auction ending..."Y'all must be crazy. Step aside Mon-a-mi."
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Ugh. This buyer alone probably would have paid 4K or so. I know he's won PSA 10 Jeters for $400 or so, and those were base cards.

I feel terrible for the seller, but this is exhibit 'a' in why I always start the bidding at the minimum I'm willing to accept if the card is a low pop (graded or otherwise). If the right guys aren't in the buying mood that week you can leave lots of money on the table with .99 opening bids.
  • Options
    Look at prices he's paid:

Jeter 1

Jeter 2

Jeter 3- Oh my god

Jeter 4- You gotta be kidding me

This guy's insane. He would've paid $3k easy.

Lee
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's Derek himself? In which case $3K would equate to $30 to you & me. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Look at prices he's paid:

Jeter 1

Jeter 2

Jeter 3- Oh my god

Jeter 4- You gotta be kidding me

Lee >>

FWIW I wouldn't get any clever ideas about submitting a bunch of Jeter cards. That angle has already been played. Just look at the completed auctions for Jeter PSA 10. ALOT of guys thought they'd jump on that gravy train when the gettin' was good.
  • Options
    I won't be submitting any Jeter's. In fact, I burn all my Yankees right as I get them out of the pack. Also, Duke basketball players and Colts. Sometimes if I'm bored I'll go to a card show and buy some Jeter, Manning, and Grant Hill cards and just burn them in the parking lot.

Lee
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, I was close. $1100 seems way low considering people were paying $400 for the regular version of which there are at least a hlaf-million. I should've bought it and marketed it correctly. Seems like there is more to be made here.

Lee >>

I agree, BUT, there's no telling how high the winning bidder actually bid. Looking at those insane prices, he could have bid in the $10,000+ range and just said -- f**** it, I want this card.

In any case, great price for the buyer!
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    If you check the Derek Jeter player set is the next one to pop on the player request chart. This guy is probably gearing up for that . You know those Y***** fans are.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Does that mean that Jeter will definitely be the next player set to be added to the registry? Do they do them in the order that they were requested or by demand for that player? I have no idea how the registry works.

Lee
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    If you go to the set registry, then look at the top. You will see a button featuring set request. From there scroll down to the players list. He's at top which means the next set of players that they work on,he will be one of them. I have some request that have been on the list over 6 months now, but their day will come. They have been working hard on the team sets and specific card sets. If when you check the registry set list, go to the news part, this will show the most recent additions. Good luck.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Well there should be, what, three more press plates out there??
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    i am not sure how many different pps there are. 4 sounds right though. my point was the huge price difference for virtually the same card.