Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Explain the whole Heritage thing to me.

I'm pretty much out of the loop on modern baseball. Could someone give me the nickel version of Topps Heritage? I know zero about the product. Scans would be greatly appreciated as well since I wouldn't be able to pick a Heritage card out of a lineup.

Thanks guys.

Arthur

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I did two boxes of '05 Heritage. Nice cards, but what I liked best was the really tasty gum image

It was last year when I realized my true calling and I havent looked back image
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Imagine being back in the 50's again opening packs...that is heritage!

Kevin
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Modern carp, made to look like old good-stuff.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options

<< <i>Modern carp, made to look like old good-stuff.
    >>

• Options
    There are some big heritage guys on here, those sound like fighting words!

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I tried to get into it. I really did. The cards look cool, the packs look cool, but I just couldn't get hooked. Maybe it's because I don't like baseball anymore.

Lee
  • Options
    "Its funny when I first opened the packs back in 2001 it was an ugly set, then I pulled my first real one auto ....."

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If that had happened to me, maybe I would like them, too.

It didn't.

I gave mine away.

Tried the Turkey Reds, and only liked them a little better.
    At least I pulled an Arod shirt.
  • Options
    Hi, I just signed up here. For fun, I started a Topps Heritage website. I mostly did it just to teach myself something new, and use one of my interests (Topps Heritage) as a topic while doing it.
    My Topps Heritage site.
  • Options
    Topps Heritage website.

//////////////////

Nice.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>Hi, I just signed up here. For fun, I started a Topps Heritage website. I mostly did it just to teach myself something new, and use one of my interests (Topps Heritage) as a topic while doing it. >>

Your site has more ads than the Super Bowl!

Was "Sirspamalot" taken when you signed up here?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    "Your site has more ads than the Super Bowl!"

///////////////////////////////////

Yes, but they are useful ads.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi, I just signed up here. For fun, I started a Topps Heritage website. I mostly did it just to teach myself something new, and use one of my interests (Topps Heritage) as a topic while doing it. >>

Was "Sirspamalot" taken when you signed up here? >>

I apologize, I was unaware that ads on my own website, that I spent time building and pay hosting costs for, were counted as spam. If you are talking about the link to my website itself being spam, then I again apologize. Do you collect Topps Heritage?
    My Topps Heritage site.
  • Options

<< <i>

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Wow, there is a lot of advertising on that site. I tried to read your article, but got sidetracked by so much other stuff. Perhaps it might be clearer on a host without all the advertising, or as a blog.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I apologize, I was unaware that ads on my own website, that I spent time building and pay hosting costs for, were counted as spam. If you are talking about the link to my website itself being spam, then I again apologize. Do you collect Topps Heritage? >>

No, I do not collect Heritage. I want to, but have never gotten into it because I could buy boxes of 80's wax for the same price as the hobby boxes. I just have decided to go that route as I collect 60s-80s stuff.

I'm sorry for being so harsh, but we have had TONS of people some on here and spam their own site, cards, auctions, magazines...

Since you just signed up this month it looks like you are one of them. Prove me wrong, stick around and contribute beyond providing links to your site where you get paid for clicks on ads from it. There are a ton of Heritage guys here, contribute.

Cheers,

Jordan
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Your site has more ads than the Super Bowl!

Ads??? Firefox is your friend, people. I had to load the site in InternetExplorer just to see what you guys were talking about....its unreadable there.
    Always looking for 1996 Select Certified Football.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Back to the original question :

My primary focus and dollars go to vintage cards, but I get into Heritage football every year.

It's a lot of fun to bust packs and put the sets together.
    Much of the modern stuff is small sets with only the top stars, but Heritage gives you an entire array of players.

Also, the cards are simpler in design than most modern sets so they look more like cards used to look
    instead of like something that some artsy fartsy dude hashed together out of rainbows and kaleidoscopes.

Plus, you get to collect cards of athletes actually playing the games today ... instead of just pictures of dead guys ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options

<< <i>Since you just signed up this month it looks like you are one of them. Prove me wrong, stick around and contribute beyond providing links to your site where you get paid for clicks on ads from it. There are a ton of Heritage guys here, contribute.

Cheers,

Jordan >>

As for contribute, it could be said that my site is a contribution. Regardless of the advertisements, there is Topps Heritage information on the pages. It's free information. Sure, this information can be found elsewhere too, but what's wrong with having another information source? I understand you don't see the contribution of it, because you admittedly aren't a Heritage collector and appear to have no interest in the Heritage sets. Perhaps you could contribute some pages of information to the forum about a few of your favorite sets instead. I personally don't sell cards on my site, but it was fun for me to work on. There are still a lot of pages missing about Heritage sets that I haven't collected yet and don't know as much about as some of the others, it will be fun for me to continue adding pages to the site and learning about the individual Heritage sets from all sports as I collect them, whether I work on sets or just individual cards. It may take me 20 years before the site is really a comprehensive Heritage site, who cares. I'm not in a hurry. I'm not able to spend a ton of time on it, though I've spent more time on it recently, and signed up on this forum because I know it's time for Topps Heritage baseball to be released soon and I've been more in the mood for cards lately. I haven't even kept up-to-date with everything about 2007 Heritage baseball though. Yes, the site will probably continue to have advertisements on it. If somehow it happens to make $3.50 one month to help cover hosting fees, then maybe I can afford one more pack of Heritage if Topps doesn't raised the SRP. I wish someone would complain about the EquiFax, Nutrisystem, and Netflix ads that are on all my ebay searches, or the New York Times website front page ads.
    My Topps Heritage site.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Ads??? Firefox is your friend, people. I had to load the site in InternetExplorer just to see what you guys were talking about....its unreadable there. >>

I agree. I don't see a single ad using Firefox. I don't understand why anyone would use something else.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    If you want info on Topps heritage....do a search on this site for the official heritage threads for each year (2005,2006, etc).
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Since you just signed up this month it looks like you are one of them. Prove me wrong, stick around and contribute beyond providing links to your site where you get paid for clicks on ads from it. There are a ton of Heritage guys here, contribute.

Cheers,

Jordan >>

As for contribute, it could be said that my site is a contribution. Regardless of the advertisements, there is Topps Heritage information on the pages. It's free information. Sure, this information can be found elsewhere too, but what's wrong with having another information source? I understand you don't see the contribution of it, because you admittedly aren't a Heritage collector and appear to have no interest in the Heritage sets. Perhaps you could contribute some pages of information to the forum about a few of your favorite sets instead. I personally don't sell cards on my site, but it was fun for me to work on. There are still a lot of pages missing about Heritage sets that I haven't collected yet and don't know as much about as some of the others, it will be fun for me to continue adding pages to the site and learning about the individual Heritage sets from all sports as I collect them, whether I work on sets or just individual cards. It may take me 20 years before the site is really a comprehensive Heritage site, who cares. I'm not in a hurry. I'm not able to spend a ton of time on it, though I've spent more time on it recently, and signed up on this forum because I know it's time for Topps Heritage baseball to be released soon and I've been more in the mood for cards lately. I haven't even kept up-to-date with everything about 2007 Heritage baseball though. Yes, the site will probably continue to have advertisements on it. If somehow it happens to make $3.50 one month to help cover hosting fees, then maybe I can afford one more pack of Heritage if Topps doesn't raised the SRP. I wish someone would complain about the EquiFax, Nutrisystem, and Netflix ads that are on all my ebay searches, or the New York Times website front page ads. >>

Do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks

Arthur
  • Options

<< <i>If you want info on Topps heritage....do a search on this site for the official heritage threads for each year (2005,2006, etc). >>

Basil, I wasn't looking for the whole detailed story behind Heritage and my initial post wasn't snide or sarcastic. I genuinely just wanted to know the nickel version of why this product was so popular because I literally know NOTHING about it. You're right, I could've done a search for Heritage and proceeded to go through the abundance of posts and information about a particular year/sport but I was just looking for opinions from those collectors as to the appeal.

Arthur
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Cheers,

Jordan >>

As for contribute, it could be said that my site is a contribution. Regardless of the advertisements, there is Topps Heritage information on the pages. It's free information. Sure, this information can be found elsewhere too, but what's wrong with having another information source? I understand you don't see the contribution of it, because you admittedly aren't a Heritage collector and appear to have no interest in the Heritage sets. Perhaps you could contribute some pages of information to the forum about a few of your favorite sets instead. I personally don't sell cards on my site, but it was fun for me to work on. There are still a lot of pages missing about Heritage sets that I haven't collected yet and don't know as much about as some of the others, it will be fun for me to continue adding pages to the site and learning about the individual Heritage sets from all sports as I collect them, whether I work on sets or just individual cards. It may take me 20 years before the site is really a comprehensive Heritage site, who cares. I'm not in a hurry. I'm not able to spend a ton of time on it, though I've spent more time on it recently, and signed up on this forum because I know it's time for Topps Heritage baseball to be released soon and I've been more in the mood for cards lately. I haven't even kept up-to-date with everything about 2007 Heritage baseball though. Yes, the site will probably continue to have advertisements on it. If somehow it happens to make $3.50 one month to help cover hosting fees, then maybe I can afford one more pack of Heritage if Topps doesn't raised the SRP. I wish someone would complain about the EquiFax, Nutrisystem, and Netflix ads that are on all my ebay searches, or the New York Times website front page ads. >>

Do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks

Arthur >>

Sure, I'm a fan of the Topps Heritage brand. I suggest Topps Heritage.
    My Topps Heritage site.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Arthur

I think Kevin summed up the Heritage "experience" very well.

First - one has to be a baseball fan - and have a desire to collect contemporary players.

With that as a background - the next step is the desire to have a "retro" feel to the cards - Heritage satifies that desire and then some...

By starting with the 52T design in 2001 - they are proceeding down memory lane one year at a time.

So now in 2007 - we're up to the 58T design set. This will include trying to add to the 2007 set, the "nuances" that were part of the 58T set - color variations, errors - matching players from 58 with similar sluggers, e.g., in 2007.

So, ya gotta like baseball, want to collect a modern set, and want an ole school feel. Next?

The CHASE - filling in the SP's and get fired up about a Master Set - which for the most part will include the insert/subsets.

Now, once you're hooked - ya can take it to the next level - they include chromes, refractors and black refractors - limited to 1958 on the chromes, 558 on the refractors and only 58 on the black refractors for 2007!

These sets are 110 cards strong - and quite a challenge - I've done the chromes and never further.

Does this help?
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Arthur

I think Kevin summed up the Heritage "experience" very well.

First - one has to be a baseball fan - and have a desire to collect contemporary players.

With that as a background - the next step is the desire to have a "retro" feel to the cards - Heritage satifies that desire and then some...

By starting with the 52T design in 2001 - they are proceeding down memory lane one year at a time.

So now in 2007 - we're up to the 58T design set.

So, ya gotta like baseball, want to collect a modern set, and want a ole school feel. Next?

The CHASE - filling in the SP's and get fired up about a Master Set - which for the most part will include the insert/subsets.

Now, once you're hooked - ya can take it to the next level - they include chromes, refractors and black refractors - limited to 1958 on the chromes, 558 on the refractors and only 58 on the black refractors for 2007!

These sets are 110 cards strong - and quite a challenge - I've done the chromes and never further.

Does this help?
    mike >>

Ahhh .... okay. I think I get it. So with the vintage card designs do they ever include cards for players from that particular vintage year or are all the players current? In doing the math, so in 2006 they did the '57 Topps set? I don't really collect baseball but always loved that '57 Topps set.

If one were to buy a box or two how close would you get to a basic set, without all the variations?

Thanks Mike. I never thought I'd hear you say black refractor. image

Arthur
  • Options

<< <i>Ahhh .... okay. I think I get it. So with the vintage card designs do they ever include cards for players from that particular vintage year or are all the players current? In doing the math, so in 2006 they did the '57 Topps set? I don't really collect baseball but always loved that '57 Topps set.

If one were to buy a box or two how close would you get to a basic set, without all the variations?

Thanks Mike. I never thought I'd hear you say black refractor. image

Arthur >>

Sometimes they include past players in the insert sets, such as "Then & Now" and others. The autograph checklist usually has a few old timers on it. It's doubtful you would come close to a complete base set with two boxes.
    My Topps Heritage site.
  • Options
    Arthur

The set is daunting.

It takes many, many boxes to do the complete set with the SPs.

The complete set is contemporary. The inserts are reserved to past players.

A base set without the SPs is doable - but even commons can be tough.

Ya can pick up a base set without SPs on ebay for like 25 bucks.

A complete set - with SPs - not a master with all the inserts - will set ya back - guess? 200$?

Sometimes the Master sets crash and burn also - I've seen them go for 5-600$ and then I've seen them go for more like 250$?

If ya don't really collect baseball - this is still a fun spectator sport.

I like the excitement and activity - to see the trading going on - the countless "thankyou" notes being passed e.g.

If ya decide to do the set - Good luck - I'll help if I can.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    are there redemption cards in them? i ask this because i prefer to keep sealed and open at a later date, sometimes years. so if there are redemptions, sometimes i can get stuck. normally i try to stay away from redemptions. i really like the looks of the 2001 heritage from what i saw.
  • Options
    Thanks Mike. I do believe that at some point down the line I may make a go at the 2006 ('57) set. Are the base cards cardboard or are they that modern chrome-plastic type? Also, I thought someone said they were large sets and included a sizeable player pool, was this incorrect? If the set is 110 players it seems like it would just be the star players and some rookies?

How many boxes would it take to put together a base (no SP's) set for the '06?

Thanks for answering all my questions Mike. Like I said, I literally know nothing about this issue.

Arthur
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    If the set is 110 players it seems like it would just be the star players and some rookies?

I think Mike was referring to the chrome set being 110 cards. The base sets are usually around 350 cards, I believe...
  • Options
    TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    You might be able to do it in 2 boxes....although I opened about 12 before I hit every common. There are lots of people with SPs and regular issues to trade and then you can always do Ebay if the 'pick em lots' are not cancelled.

The chrome sets are 110. The base sets have been around 450-500....that is with SPs....there are usually about 100+ SPs so for a base set...non SPs....you are looking at about 400 cards. Then you have what you had in 2005....where there was a whiteback set....220 I believe??? And that wasn't announced.....that is why it is nice to sit back for a bit and see what is being pulled and then rip away! I've done most of my set building about 6 months after the sets come out. With 06 and 04 (and for me 05) I was able to get packs way under SRP.
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
  • Options

<< <i>Are the base cards cardboard or are they that modern chrome-plastic type? >>

No, the base cards aren't plastic or chrome. Topps tries to give the base set a vintage feel, including the card stock, although it's not exactly the same as the vintage years
    My Topps Heritage site.
  • Options
    Like Arthur, I'm finding myself somewhat interested in Heritage.

I think the coolest thing about this set is how painstakingly Topps goes to truly emulate the original. The same variations, the same errors, taking a slugger that was card #300 in the original and putting in a like modern slugger for #300 in Heritage. Same goes for the insert cards, etc.

As a collector of '60 Topps --- I think I'll make a big Heritage splash in 2009 when they use the '60 design. I can't wait to see what the World Series cards and cards like "Mantle & Boyer" end up looking like.

-t
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    Man if this thread doesn't get you excited then you need to check yourself for a pulse! Heritage ALL these thing. Most importantly it brings
    the modern card and vintage card collector closer together. Back in 2001 there was quite a bit of seperations between the two. Modern
    collectors (myself included) really didn't appreciate the old cards. The vintage collectors laughed at their modern counterparts. Heritage
    was the glue that brought these collectors together..Vintage collectors providing info on how the originals looked and modern collectors
    to fill in the gaps, like pull ratios and short print info.

Today Im proud to say, that there are many knowledgable heritage collectors here. I wouldn't be surprised if all the early info on
    sp's and variations come from this very site. I know I will be adding my info as soon as I rip.

Long live Heritage...Long live great collectors!

Kevin
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    FWIW, Huggins & Scott's new auction (bidding opened this morning) has some Heritage near-Master Sets (incl. autos and relics) as lots up for bid.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    I bought 2 boxes of the 2006 Heritage baseball. Those were the first packs I had opened since 1991 Donruss. I didn't come close to a complete set and ended up selling them all.
    I like the design and everything about them, especially the thickness, but I don't follow baseball much anymore, so I didn't recognize many of the names.
    I'll stick to buying and ripping 70s and 80s baseball.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

So now in 2007 - we're up to the 58T design set. This will include trying to add to the 2007 set, the "nuances" that were part of the 58T set - color variations, errors - matching players from 58 with similar sluggers, e.g., in 2007.

mike >>

I CAN SEE IT NOW

Derek Jete
    Derek Jeter

ie Pancho herrera error...I should work for Topps!
  • Options

<< <i>I CAN SEE IT NOW

Derek Jete
    Derek Jeter

ie Panche herrera error...I should work for Topps! >>

I actually think that's a great idea. I like it when they try to sneak something in there that most people don't expect.
    My Topps Heritage site.
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    coho,
    at least one of the earlier Heritage years had redemption cards as I pulled either an '02 or '03 Aaron auto. redemption last year. Topps didn't honor it or send me anything except a form letter.

I haven't come across redemption cards in any other years but the 2006 were the 1st year I opened a lot.

Probably Kevin knows the answer to which years had them.

Dave

2 retail cases of '07 Heritage on order here.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    Kevin

Am I detecting a change of heart?

Something tells me to go look in the "pillow section."

Mike
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Something tells me to go look in the "pillow section."

image >>

• Options
    yeah Im in. The talk here is just too much to say no. It almost best I don't know the auto odds, as that is going to be a real downer, but
    the set aspect is the best part. I can't wait to make my first trade. Im getting all the Helton variations first.

..oh and stay away from the pillow isle, there is nothing to see here!

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>yeah Im in. The talk here is just too much to say no. It almost best I don't know the auto odds, as that is going to be a real downer, but
    the set aspect is the best part. I can't wait to make my first trade. Im getting all the Helton variations first.

..oh and stay away from the pillow isle, there is nothing to see here!

Kevin >>

Glad to hear it Kevin.

It wouldn't be Heritage time here without you!

Mike