Home Sports Talk
Options

OK One More...NOW! Who is the greatest team of all-time? Let the whinning begin!

This team of mine is NOT etched in stone! LOL!

Not my favorites, just who I thought were the best based on any and all knowledge that I know of MLB.

C Johnny Bench
1B Lou Gehrig
2B Jackie Robinson
SS Honus Wagner
3b Brooks Robinson/Mike Schmidt
LF Babe Ruth
CF Willie Mays
RF Roberto Clemente
DH Mickey Mantle

RHP Walter Johnson
LHP Sandy Koufax

Bullpen Bob Gibson

Manager Connie Mack

Coaches Walter Alston Yogi Berra

Let the games begin! image

Comments

• Options
    Whoops! I forgot, Designated hitter(s) were supposed to be Ted Williams/Mickey Mantle/Joe DiMaggio
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KalineFan, there are a few I might quibble with on your team but Roberto Clemente is as out of place as a turd in a punchbowl. Put Ted W. in the outfield and let Clemente buy a ticket to see the game.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KalineFan, there are a few I might quibble with on your team but Roberto Clemente is as out of place as a turd in a punchbowl. Put Ted W. in the outfield and let Clemente buy a ticket to see the game.

I believe the idea here is to post your own lineup, not critique the opinion of others.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I dunno. The closest thing to a "modern" player you have on that list is Mike Schmidt. I'm one of those people who think the athletes of today are quite a bit better than those 50 years before them. I guess that's a whole other debate, though. image
  • Options

<< <i>I believe the idea here is to post your own lineup, not critique the opinion of others. >>

Kalinefan asked for whining. You don't think we're going to whine about our own selections, do you? image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< I believe the idea here is to post your own lineup, not critique the opinion of others. >>

Kalinefan asked for whining. You don't think we're going to whine about our own selections, do you?

Of course, my comment was purely tongue-in-cheek. BTW: There aren't any modern era players who could beat out any of the guys in that lineup, IMO. Players today may be much better conditioned, but hitting is a lot easier, too, due to expansion, mediocre pitching and bandbox ballparks. Not to mention the aspect of "artificial" enhancements. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    yeah lets leave off one of the games true 5 tool players. Clemente

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I woulda had Eddie Gaedel at DH.
  • Options

<< <i>I woulda had Eddie Gaedel at DH. >>

he had a good eye and his OBP was hard to beat.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>as a turd in a punchbowl. >>

I know it's not a punchbowl but this was the first image that came to my mind image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I woulda had Eddie Gaedel at DH. >>

he had a good eye and his OBP was hard to beat. >>

I'd have Eddie pitching as well. There were rumors back in his day that he could throw a 100 MPH fastball.

Of course that was when using a slingshot, but I've never seen a baseball rules manual yet which stated a slingshot could not be used to pitch.

-
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>as a turd in a punchbowl. >>

I know it's not a punchbowl but this was the first image that came to my mind image >>

I remember that scene from the movie Jaws because they played the Jaws music during that scene. I hate to spoil this movie scene for anybody who hasn't seen it yet, but that wasn't actually a turd - turned out to be a funny looking minnow.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    1b George Sisler, er... okay, Lou Gehrig
    2b Rogers Hornsby
    3b Mike Schmidt
    SS Honus Wagner
    C Johnny Bench, if only MLB, if not then it would be Josh Gibson
    OF Ty Cobb, Willie Mays, Babe Ruth
    DH Ted Williams
    RP Walter Johnson
    LP Lefty Grove
    MGR John McGraw

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    What...no Barry Bonds?????? How this forum changes over time!!!! Man I wish I could dig up some of those Barry posts.

JS
  • Options

C Johnny Bench
    1B Lou Gehrig
    2B Jackie Robinson
    SS Honus Wagner
    3b Mike Schmidt
    LF Babe Ruth
    CF Willie Mays
    RF Ty Cobb
    DH Mickey Mantle

Pinch hitter Pete Rose

RHP Walter Johnson
    LHP Sandy Koufax

Bullpen Goose Gossage

succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    My all-time 1st team:

C - Piazza (by far the greatest offensive catcher ever, his offense overcomes all defensive shortfalls)
    1B - Gerhig
    2B - Morgan (always forgotten, but he was an on base machine, stole a ton of bases, and an excellent fielder)
    SS - Wagner
    3B - Schmidt
    OF - Ruth, Willams, Mays

SP's - Lefty Grove (the most underrated of any HOF pitcher, easily one of the best ever), Clemens, W. Johnson, Gibson, Koufax
    CL - Wilhelm

2nd team:

C - Bench
    1B - Pujols
    2B - Eddie Collins
    SS - Ernie Banks
    3B - Brett
    OF - Cobb, Mantle, Aaron

SP's - Young, Seaver, Ryan, Spahn, Plank
    CL - Rivera

On the bench: Foxx (1B), Lajoie (2B), Jeter (SS), Mathews (3B), Musial (OF), DiMaggio (OF), Rose(2B/3B/OF), Feller (SP), P. Martinez (SP), Maddux (SP), Gossage (RP), Hoffman (RP)
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

This team of mine is NOT etched in stone! LOL!

Not my favorites, just who I thought were the best based on any and all knowledge that I know of MLB.

C Johnny Bench
    1B Lou Gehrig
    2B Jackie Robinson
    SS Honus Wagner
    3b Brooks Robinson/Mike Schmidt
    LF Babe Ruth
    CF Willie Mays
    RF Roberto Clemente
    DH Mickey Mantle

RHP Walter Johnson
    LHP Sandy Koufax

Bullpen Bob Gibson

Manager Connie Mack

Coaches Walter Alston Yogi Berra

Let the games begin! image >>

Without a doubt I agree 100% with these selections.I would only add Warren Spahn as a pitching coach.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    The usual suspects.

Edited to add: I should clarify that.

I would expect to see the usual suspects listed, and for the most part they are...

C Bench
    2B Hornsby
    3B Schmidt
    SS Honus
    LF Cobb
    CF Mays (though Mantle if peak is the desire)
    RF Babe
    DH Williams

SP. Walter Johnson
    SP Lefty Grove

Based on the published evidence available, it is hard to change that team, and I think it would be the consensus team if all the analysts were polled.

I would say that most regular fans wouldn't pick Lefty Grove, not because he doesn't deserve, but because he is simply lost on a lot of people. He is a strong pick for the team.

What are the debatable parts of that team?

The OF and DH would be extremely difficult to alter with a sane rationale. Though Bonds would be a sane rationale. Same for 3B.

2B could be argued with Joe Morgan.

SP could have Pedro, Clemens, Seaver.

Catcher: Not to be picky, but putting Piazza at catcher isn't much different defensively than putting Pete Gray back there. Heck, would it be even any downgrade defensively it we threw Hank Aaron at catcher? I'm not sure if it is possible to do much worse back there than Piazza.

• Options
    Skin,
    Most debateable part of the team you listed ???

The lack of a firstbaseman would be even more of a defensive liability than selecting Mike Piazza at Catcher !!!

Just a bit of humor , don't take it the wrong way,
    however, I can't really see Mantle over Mays, though close and truly debateable, Willie was the bit better defensive player, had the better arm, was injured less, led in stolen bases twice, thus the better runner though Mick was probably faster. Willie never had anywhere near the lineup protection, a somewhat marginal factor granted, until the Giants moved to Frisco , Mick always had other great hitters to give him a little better pitches to see. Both simply GREAT players.

It is sometimes debated that a 50s OF of Mays, Mantle, and Ted W., would be equal if not better than old-timers Cobb, Ruth, and Speaker ???

• Options

Schmidt and Honus probably wouldn't get too many assists with my team image

I think Mays clearly has Mantle for career value. Some of the points you brought up for the 50's have some validity, especially the oft injured Mantle. For Mantle he was so darn good offensively at that time...one of the best peaks of ALL TIME. His switch hitting ability makes it a little tougher for the other manager during game situations.

The Outfield of Williams, Mays, Mantle probably would be more desirable than the Cobb, Ruth, and Speaker.
  • Options
    Can't wait for the Bears to start .........

Skin,
    Since you commented, that you did feel the 50s OFers were more desirable than the old timers, please expand upon that. I also do agree it is at least equal, however am sometimes at a loss when others argue that ( Until 1961 ) Cobb was the greatest base stealer ever, Ruth the greatest Home run hitter ever, and Speaker was a top-notch hitter and defensive player.
    I feel the 50s get the nod for overall power hitting, the old for baserunning, the rest is close , for example Williams has the best lifetime OB %, but somewhat offset by the olders higher BA. Defense about equal, perhaps Mays' throwing ability and Mantle's switch hitting could give the slightest edge.