Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

My First Completed PSA Set - 1961 Topps Baseball

Wow, what a journey. After nearly two years I have completed this set in 7.34 with every card graded PSA 7, 8 or 9 with no qualifiers. This may not be the highest graded set, not even close, however it was the right grade for me and the cards look great.

I have taken the time to scan every card in the set, more for me than you, I can look at my cards even when not at home.
My 1961 Topps Baseball Set

I have been reading these message boards for a long time, I do not contribute much in the conversations, although I have learned an incredible amount just reading almost every day.

I started this set in March of 2005 with one card, a Willie McCovey in PSA 6 (I have upgraded that card). I purchased many lots raw and submitted the best. In doing so I have also put together a pretty nice EX to EXMT raw set (Still a few cards short). Most of my set was from buying already graded cards from ebay, The National and other websites like 707sportscards, bbards4u, naxcom and a few others I cannot remember right now.

It has been fun and I am ready for the next challenge. I have been very slowly buying a few lower grade T206's, but I think the next set I would like to really go after is 1973 Topps Baseball.

Good Luck to all,

262 (Dave)

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, now you better change your sig. line!!image
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Way to go. There are so many people that start out on a journey, and some how not finish. You did it!! To move up high in the rankings , I'd suggest visiting a taylor as you will have to have pockets that hang to your shoes. Anyway, you should be proud ; I'd LOVE to have your set. Thanks for sharing the good news with us. Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    awesome accomplishment. very, very nice set and one I remember vividly from my childhood (flipping the cards and scaling them against the walls!!).
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    That's awesome! image
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To move up high in the rankings , I'd suggest visiting a taylor as you will have to have pockets that hang to your shoes >>

Not sure If I'm going to play the upgrade game on this one. I like the set, however the competition for PSA 8's and 9's is crazy. My goal was not to have a super high graded set but rather a set I could enjoy building without going broke. This set in 7 and 8 was perfect. I will probably do the same with the next large set I start, just keep it a bit under the really top sets so it will stay affordable and fun.

Does anybody have any opinions on the 1973 set? Should I be looking for unopened raw, or completed sets, vending, etc, or just buy already graded from the mass submitters?

• Options
    Well done on a set with 500+ cards. I also enjoyed looking at the scans of your early 80's Donruss Golf Cards.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Congrats!!!!

I'm 7 months into my 1960 Topps project (PSA 8) and am loving it so far.

I hope to be able to put out a similar post to yours in the future.

WELL DONE!!!!!!!

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Dave

WTG!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Nice set - congratulations. I have always liked the 1961 Topps set also. My first 1961 card I had graded was Sandy Koufax - it came back a PSA 7 and I thought they had missed it for sure - card just had to be an 8. We live and learn I guess. Congrats again - - - Rick
    "I CAN'T COMPLAIN BUT SOMETIMES I STILL DO" - SMOKY JOE WALSH - - -
    Always looking for 53 Topps Baseball and "stuff"
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! Working on 61's myself (high numbers only for now).

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

Congrats!!! I am 1 1/2 years into my 33 goudey PSA (any grade) set. 90%+ complete. All sets take time and patience. image Good luck on the next goal!!!

James
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    Thank you to all who have responded. It is nice to be able to share this accomplishment with others who understand what collecting is all about. My wife supports me, but really doesn't understand my passion for the hobby.

Thanks again.

Dave
    (262)

• Options
    Dave,

Congrats on a great accomplishment. I'm right behind you hopefully (have less than 10 cards to go). Gotta love those 61s!

Kurt
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    Wow, that's a great accomplishment!

Congratulations! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have taken the time to scan every card in the set >>

Very much appreciated.

It's a beautiful set. You have every reason to be proud, and I love that you've kept perspective on how this is all for fun.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Congrats on your achievement !!

That is a great set and something you should be proud of.

Dont ever try to sell yourself short on the GPA or anything like that. None of that means anything. You built the set within your means and had a ton of fun and enjoyment along the way. That alone makes all the difference !

Good luck in whatever you decide to pursue next. The 73's are a great set, with some great photography. You should be able to pick up some PSA 8's and 9's really, really cheap right now. Ive been able to pick up some PSA 9's for less than $10 a piece, so its definately a good time to shoot for that set at a great price.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Super Job !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    Dave.............Fantastic accomplishment on completing this Monster Set ! Other then Team Sets , I have yet to complete a full set , and I've been working on mine for over 3 years ! Very nice , enjoy your set ! ...............Robbieimage
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set