Home Sports Talk

Your most memorable sports moment...

Interested in what memories you guys have, that you'll always get a smile remembering. I have a few...

1-Winning the city wide LL championship. Had a great time platooning at 2nd/3rd/1st, batting a little above .400. I averaged 1 free base per game via hit by pitch. Played with some guys I grew up with, thank the Lord Sammy(RIP) and me got to play together for a couple of years. We went to school together our whole lives, ran around with the same people, and it's something I'm glad we got to do together. He died a year after high school(I was a senior) and that just sucked.

2-Jeffrey Maier's catch against the O's.

3-The Yankees 1996 World Series win

4-Cal breaking the streak

Collecting;
Mark Mulder rookies
Chipper Jones rookies
Orlando Cabrera rookies
Lawrence Taylor
Sam Huff
Lavar Arrington
NY Giants
NY Yankees
NJ Nets
NJ Devils
1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
GregM13
VintageJeff

Comments

• joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    1) Miracle on Ice...back when I was too young to know about hockey,but not too nieve to know about what it is like to be American.
    2) D Brooks 2002 Super Bowl INT return for a TD to seal up a 26 year long dry spell.
    3) Jordan ripping out the hearts of the Jazz with that shot.
    4) Mitch Williams to Joe Carter

JS
  • Magic's baby skyhook against Boston

Bill Buckner play

The Catch ....absolutely hated the play but i'll never forget it and remember it like it was yesterday

Kobe's lob to Shaq which completed a miracle comeback against Portland in the WCF

im sure i can list many more but these were on the top of my head

Dave
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still remember watching the longest game, Christmas 1971 at Grandma's house. Chiefs lost I think in double overtime, I can still see Garo Yopremium(spelling?) kicking the game winner and breaking my heart.

Also the summer of 1980, when Brett was chasing .400. Listened to almost every game on the radio, can recall how excited KC announcers Denny Matthews and Fred White got when Brett was on a tear and raised his average above .400 in late August.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    1) Bruce Sutter striking out Gorman Thomas to finish off the '82 Series.
    2) Darren McCartey shaking Niinimaa out of his jock (and finishing with a sweet goal) in the '97 Stanley Cup finals.
    3) Detroit Lions 38, Dallas Cowboys 6
    4) Don Denkinger
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was at Veterans Stadium in the 1980 World Series when Bake McBride absolutely crushed a fastball into the right-center field stands for a three run homer. I "knew" right then that the Phils were going to win that World Series.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Watching my kid this past July playing on the 7/8 yr old allstar baseball team.........

standing in the dugout and watching that lazy fly ball hover over him for what seemed like an eternity. When it finally landed in his glove I don't know if I even had my eyes open...........his first put out playing in the OF. (he played 2B on his normal team and it took literally hundreds of pop ups from dad in the yard for him to catch onto fly balls.)

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave Roberts

Renteria to Foulke to Mientkiewicz
  • Kirk Gibson's Homer in the '88 Series....

Edgar Renteria's base hit to win the '93 WS...Craig Counsell jumping up after scoring on the single....

Marlins beating the Yankees in the WS....

1981...Dodgers beating the Yankees in the WS...
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Being at the Stadium for Well's and Cone's perfect games.

also saw Jim Abbott throw a no no at the stadium as well.

pedro martinez friday night effort when he struck out 17? and did not allow a baserunner after the first inning. (also seen at the stadium)

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being in the Stadium in 1995 for Don Mattingly's first playoff game. I've still never experienced anything like it. He walked out of the dugout to stretch and the whole stadium went nuts, Donnie Baseball for like 10 minutes, still gives me goose bumps.

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • 1984 World Series, when Gibby took Gossage deep, instead of Goose giving up a free pass!

When Steve Yzerman got a long long standing ovation about a decade ago from his hometown fans on opening day for hockey, because everybody thought Scotty Bowman was going to have him traded.

1997 Stanley Cup Finals

1998 Stanley Cup Finals and seeing Vladdy on the ice during the celebration!

2002 Stanley Cup Finals and seeing Scotty Bowman with skates on!

Michigan/Texas Rose Bowl game a couple years ago, one of the best games I have ever watched, although my team lost!

Not a sports moment so to speak, but the first time I met Al Kaline in person, I was 12, and I was shaking in my shoes when I shook his hand!
  • 1) Carlton Fisk's Homer in Game 6 of the 1975 World Series. He hit it on my 10th Birthday and my dad let me stay up late to watcht he game.

2) Adam Venitaries kick to win, well, all 3 of the Pats Superbowls.

3) The first Dream Team's Olymipc Gold Medal in basketball.
  • Winning the Heisman was pretty memorable.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • --Gretzky to Mario in 1987 Canada Cup, I'll never forget it.
    --The next year (88) Gibson's homer against the Eck, still blows my mind.
    --Habs win the cup in 93 on 2 goals by Paul Depietro, classic match-up (Demers with "the call" on McSorley in game 2).
    --Spos win the World Series in 1994...oh wait, never happened, players went on strike and I had to watch Marquis Grissom get traded to the F'ing Braves, Wetteland to the F'ing Yanks and Walker walked (free agent). That was the end of my boys.
    Jay
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OCTOBER 26 2004, Renteria hitting a comebacker to Keith Foulk..........Foulk in disbelief underhands it to Mentkievicz???? RED SOX BREAK THE CURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WORLD CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imageimage
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    1. Magic Johnson with the hook against Boston in the Finals, followed later by Bird's press conference interview, "Magic's just a great player...he's the best I've ever seen..."

2. Gibson on no legs and down 0-2 hitting the HR off HOFer to be.

3. Randy Savage vs. Rickey Steamboat in front of 93,173 at the Pontiac Silverdome, the beginning of the "Modern Era" of pro wrestling.

4. Chargers vs. Dolphins 1982 in the best game I have ever seen in any sport.

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Watching (in person) Illinois overcome a 15 point deficit to Arizona to advance to the 2004-05 Final Four.
  • I scored 3 goals in a soccer game once.

I sent Nebraska coach Bill Callahan a lucky penny from the year he was born. He wrote back and sent me a autographed picture.

I met him 9 months later and he remembered the penny and said he still had it and he talked to me for a while about it and other stuff. That was cool.
    What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns
  • As a kid, watching Aaron's record breaking home run.

2004 Red Sox post season run to win it all (and I'm a Tiger fan-hats off to the Red Sox!).

Also, anytime Mark "The Bird" Fidrych pitched during his rookie season.
  • I'm right handed and played shortstop in a softball game.

The batter hit a line drive a little over the head of the 3rd baseman, who could only get his glove up to tip the ball.

The ball sailed over his head.

I had only one chance: I dove and caught it with my bare right-hand in mid-air.

Received a nice strawberry on my side and the flattery of the batter running after me, bat in hand, yelling homicidal threats.

This was the 5th grade.
    Take the plunge into my ebay store
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    The single most memorable moment? Edgar Martinez stroking a double in the 1995 playoffs against the yankees, Griffey sprinting full speed from first, scoring, and the entire team piling on top of him...the look of pure joy, of utter happiness on Junior's face spoke volumes about just how much he loved the game. That game saved baseball in Seattle, and led the way to the building of a new stadium (Safeco).

Other memorables?

-Ronde Barber intercepting mcnabb in the championship game and running it back for a TD, sealing a win for the Bucs and a Super Bowl appearance.
    -the Buckner error

too many more to list, but these are the ones I remember most.
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>The single most memorable moment? Edgar Martinez stroking a double in the 1995 playoffs against the yankees, Griffey sprinting full speed from first, scoring, and the entire team piling on top of him...the look of pure joy, of utter happiness on Junior's face spoke volumes about just how much he loved the game. That game saved baseball in Seattle, and led the way to the building of a new stadium (Safeco).. >>

LOL, the day you became an M's fan. image
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

bri-

give it up, will you? And you want to come at me about derailing?

• bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Oh Ax, c'mon now....I was just having a little bit of good natured fun. No need to get all bunched up. Notice the wink after my comment ?

That usually denotes some form of friendly sarcasm over what has been said.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

<< <i>Oh Ax, c'mon now....I was just having a little bit of good natured fun. No need to get all bunched up. Notice the wink after my comment ?

That usually denotes some form of friendly sarcasm over what has been said. >>

Sacrasm doesn't typically translate well...sorry for the misunderstanding..
    Sacrasm doesn't typically translate well...

Let me preface this with:

this is not about anyone specific. lest the usual suspects get all worked up.

I agree, it also does not translate well especially when you are not being sarcastic and are simply being direct and to the point.

Steve
    Good for you.
    wp-

what is your most memorable sports moment? Do you have any?
    Axtell

yes I have some. did you read this thread from the beginning? My reply can be found on page 1.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • #1 - -the Buckner error - Me too, as well as Goodens rookie season.

#2 Pete Rose breaking Cobbs hit record

#3 The Bird / Magic era

#4 The Jordan era

#5 The frig plowing into the end zone!

# 6 Bo Jackson putting Bosworth on his a$$

and many more!