Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

WANTED: Suggestions on what to rip (Too late, I made my decision) UPDATE: SCANS ADDED

So I got that feeling. You know the feeling. I want to rip something. But what?

I've been cruising the BBCE website for the past 30 minutes and can't seem to make up my mind. I'm not looking to go crazy ... somewhere in the $100 - $150 range. I'd like it to be in the 80s since my dollar won't go nearly as far before that and I'm not too interested in anything after that. I can't seem to decide if I want to spend it all on on decent wax box or just break it up over a bunch of lesser wax boxes. I'm looking at baseball, football and basketball. Maybe even mixing sports.

Anybody got any suggestions? Any input is appreciated and, of course, there will be scans when the wax is burned. image

Arthur

Comments

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    1985 Topps Football! If none available, go for 1984 Donruss baseball! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>1985 Topps Football! If none available, go for 1984 Donruss baseball! image >>

I saw this coming from a mile away Arny. image

Yes, I am eyeing them both. Steve Hart doesn't presently have any '85 FB boxes but the '84 Donruss is intriguing.

Arthur
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    misprint?

These probably aren't popular but if you can get them graded as tall boys? I'm sure it's a mistake.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    How about 1988 Topps baseball! Loaded with great rc's and kinda hard to get being that the production run was limited to 100 billion copies of each card.

Just a thought image

matt
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, '85 donruss baseball , '84 Fleer baseball or '84 Donruss sound good.
  • Options
    I would prefer anything '89 because I'm a huge Griffey Jr. fan, but I think '87 was a good year too! I like the style of the "84 Topps also.
  • Options
    If not '84 Donruss, then '85 Donruss sure would be a nice one. Imagine pulling a nice Clemens or Puckett rookie? 2nd year cards of Joe Carter or Don Mattingly, plus 3rd year cards of Sandberg, Boggs & Gwynn. Not too shabby.

But, I would definitely push for '84 Donruss. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arny, you're a fiend. image

I'm torn between two paths. I either drop it all on a one box (in which case it'll be one of '84 Don, '85 Don or '85 Topps FB (Dave & Adam's Card World has 'em although I've never bought from them and I'm a little skeptical) or I'll try to yank as many boxes out of it as I can on just low-grade stuff I like (ie. 1 each of the following: '86 Donruss, '87 Donruss, '87 Topps FB, '88 Topps FB, '88 Fleer, '86 Topps baseball))).

Decisions decisions. image

Arthur
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    It depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to break something and submit cards for grading spend $100 on oddball stuff. Fun Foods buttons, Donruss Pop Ups, etc. In other words, stuff with low pops. If you just want to break something and build a set then obviously just buy whatever you enjoy.
  • Options
    If you want to have lots of rippin' going on...then, go for the small stuff. But, keep in mind that you're either going to have to send in lots of that stuff to make up for the money spent or get lucky with some oddball player collectors out there (Umm...I'm one of them image ) or have a shot at some of the most beautiful cards of the last 20+ years ('84 Donruss image ).....the choice seems easy. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arthur,

If you do go with '84 Donruss, I'm building a high grade, well-centered, raw set.

I'd love to get my hands on some of your leftovers image

-t
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    t,

I've got some leftovers....do you have a list?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I feel for you art after looking at all those packs i just boxed and shipped for the 80s break i need a break
    Im about to break the seal on a bottle of johnny walker gold and 4 boxes of 83 opc. image
  • Options
    Torn, like an old sweater.

I've gone from '85 Donruss to '84 Fleer, back to '84 Donruss and no I'm eyeing that '85 Fleer. I sure would love to pull a nice Clemens from that stuff. I wish Steve Hart had some '85 Topps football so I could spend even more time flip-flopping back-and-forth.

Arthur
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    86 and 87 Donruss will give you lots of ripping pleasure. As will 84 Topps and 82 Football. Of course I am going for Quantity here as well as quality.

I think all of the above would rank high on the ole' Rip o' Matic scale.

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    1988 Score rack case = $27. I picked one of those up recently. Loads of fun to rip. I pulled 7 Glavines, 4 of which are 10-worthy. I tried to get my wife in on this with me, but not being a baseball girl, she opened one pack, got bored, and picked up a book to read. The cat had fun though. The cat made a nest out of the rack case and all the rack wrapers I tossed in.

Edit to say....

I've been checking out the BBCE site as well, they've got a rack case of 88 Fleer for under $50. That might be fun.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    '81 Donruss is cheap and quite fun in my opinion!
  • Options
    '81-'83 Fleer. Fun and relatively inexpensive. Lots of HOFers.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I think 82 Topps FB wax gives you bang for your buck. LT, Lott, Collinsworth and Munoz RCs with Montana 2nd year, Bradshaw, Payton, Dorsett.....

Lee
  • Options
    I just got a 1985 Topps football box that I should have before the weekend. My first rip. I hope to get some gradable cards.
  • Options
    Lee, normally that's exactly where I'd go but that was my last rip. image

Blackborder, where did you get it (if you don't mind me asking)?

Arthur
  • Options
    I got it on ebay. I did a little reading here beforehand and avoided the "remainder" boxes with the black marks. Hopefully it will be a fresh box but with ebay, you never know.
  • Options
    Okay, the verdict is in. I call this the "Nonexpensive no chance at pulling a money card but it sure will be fun to rip and reminisce" rip. Or, my "NNCAPAMCBISWBFTRAR" rip for short.

Products (Edit)
    4 x 1984 Donruss Baseball Unopened Wax Pack $20.00 (never ripped this stuff before, should be fun image)
    1 x 1986 Topps Baseball Unopened Rack Box $18.00 (A Red Sox team set along with some Goodens would be nice)
    1 x 1988 Fleer Baseball Unopened Rack Box $16.00 (I always loved this set design as a kid, the McGwire photo, Greenwell, Burks, Grace RC, HOFers galore)
    1 x 1988 Topps Football Unopened Wax Box $12.00 (Bo & Boz ... nuff said)
    4 x 1987 Topps Football Unopened Rack Pack $10.00 (Cunningham, Flutie, and a sweet Rice photo)
    1 x 1981 Topps Baseball Unopened Rack Pack $6.00 (always loved the design)
    3 x 1984 Fleer Baseball Unopened Cello Pack $10.50 (Boggs and Mattingly)
    2 x 1985 Donruss Baseball Unopened Rack Pack $16.00 (Clemens ... of course)

Grand total: 211 packs (counting the racks as 3 packs)

Not bad for $108. These should keep me busy for a while. I just hope these show up before the complete 80s rip. image

Arthur
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure how expensive it is, but '83 topps bb seems fun with those HOF rookies.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    nah i like the 83 opc better still got gwynn sandberg rc and riopken and ryan boxes are half the price of 83 topps
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i have never had a problem with dave and adam's
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No brainer

Case of 92UD BB!

Mike
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    "i have never had a problem with dave and adam's"
    I have.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I would have gone for '81 Donruss, '81 Fleer, and '81 Fleer Star Stickers for the price, but I'm weird that way. image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>Okay, the verdict is in. I call this the "Nonexpensive no chance at pulling a money card but it sure will be fun to rip and reminisce" rip. Or, my "NNCAPAMCBISWBFTRAR" rip for short.

Products (Edit)
    4 x 1984 Donruss Baseball Unopened Wax Pack $20.00 (never ripped this stuff before, should be fun image)
    1 x 1986 Topps Baseball Unopened Rack Box $18.00 (A Red Sox team set along with some Goodens would be nice)
    1 x 1988 Fleer Baseball Unopened Rack Box $16.00 (I always loved this set design as a kid, the McGwire photo, Greenwell, Burks, Grace RC, HOFers galore)
    1 x 1988 Topps Football Unopened Wax Box $12.00 (Bo & Boz ... nuff said)
    4 x 1987 Topps Football Unopened Rack Pack $10.00 (Cunningham, Flutie, and a sweet Rice photo)
    1 x 1981 Topps Baseball Unopened Rack Pack $6.00 (always loved the design)
    3 x 1984 Fleer Baseball Unopened Cello Pack $10.50 (Boggs and Mattingly)
    2 x 1985 Donruss Baseball Unopened Rack Pack $16.00 (Clemens ... of course)

Grand total: 211 packs (counting the racks as 3 packs)

Hi Arthur,

I like the 1981 Topps Baseball design too for some reason. About 2 months ago I pulled a 1981 Topps PSA 10 Nolan Ryan from a rack pack from BBCE so good luck! If you like basketball try an east box of 1981 Topps Basketball. I just ripped open a wax box yesterday from BBCE and I think I did pretty good, but I guess I will really find out when I get them graded. The 1986 Topps Baseball is tough though. I also bought a rack box and really did not have one card I felt should be graded. Those black borders are a b_tch!

Mark

Mark

Not bad for $108. These should keep me busy for a while. I just hope these show up before the complete 80s rip. image

Arthur >>

1981-82 Topps Basketball PSA 9 or 10
    1992-93 Topps Basketball PSA 9 or 10
    1976 Topps Baseball PSA 9 or 10
    1981 Topps Los Angeles Dodgers PSA 9 or 10
    1982 Topps Los Angeles Dodgers PSA 9 or 10
    1986 Topps Los Angeles Dodgers PSA 9 or 10
    1975 Topps Wacky Packages Series 15 PSA 9 or 10
  • Options
    If I get cards worthy of being graded that will be a bonus. This is more of a trip down memory lane (especially with the '86-'88 stuff) and I'm just looking to pull the cards that were big to pull upon release for old time's sake. Plus, I'm hoping the ripping and sorting and holdering will keep me assuaged when the complete 80s rip packs show up at my door.

I'll post scans when I rip. image

Arthur
  • Options
    The box arrived Saturday. Everything seemed fine so I started to rip and then I realized I had gotten an '88 Fleer Cello box instead of a rack box. While this isn't a big deal at all (let's face it, we're still talking '88 Fleer here folks) the 24 packs I missed out on will come into play.

Overall I am very pleased. As of right now I haven't ripped the '86 Topps rack box yet but I can say for sure -- not as if there were ever any doubt -- that the box was completely unsearched. I pulled the racks out to inspect the cards visible and found numerous HOFers (Rose on Top. Ryan on Top, Ripken on Top, Rose on Back). The process of going through the '86s will be more time-consuming than the others since I'll be looking for any possible graded cards, even with the commons.

Back to the rip ...

I had a blast ripping the '88 Topps FB. I didn't pull a Bo Jackson RC image but I got just about everything else. I had forgotten about Okoye and his RC as well as a certain Super Bowl standout Timmy Smith's RC. Talk about a trip down memory lane. I still remember watching that Redskins SB with my Dad and we were awed by the offensive display put on by them.

'88 Topps FB

I have absolutely no complaints with my 4 '87 Topps rack packs. I'd say I got some pretty nice pulls considering I only spent $10 on 12 packs. A Cunningham RC, Flutie RC, Kelly RC, Herschel Walker RC as well as second-year cards of Smith and White. Very happy image

'87 Topps FB

The '88 Fleer Baseball was purchased for two reasons ... 1.) I love the design of these. Bright white with the red and blue striped running through horizontally, very patriotic. I love that soft white frosting on the top edge of all the photos for it to blend in with the card. Big fan. 2.) I wanted to pull four cards ... Greenwell, Burks, Grace RC and McGwire. I didn't get a Burks (I'm sure they're sitting in that rack box I was supposed to get instead image) but I did pull a Greenwell and Grace RC ...

And a McGwire ... image

The '81 Topps and '84 Donruss I am really happy with because I only got very little of the stuff. One rack of the '81 and just 4 packs of the '84 ... I'd say I did alright for player selection. I never had an '81 Topps Henderson so that was a great pull! Same can be said about the '84 Donruss Strawberry RC. These were a lot of fun to open and I can see why so many people collect the '84 Donruss sets ... really beautiful cards.

'81 Topps Baseball and '84 Donruss Baseball

I started to notice a trend with a lot of the cards I were pulling. This rip would have been a monster one to have at an earlier time for a lot fo these cards. The '88 Fleer Grace RC had its moments in the sun. The '84 Donruss Strawberry was a monster card back in the day before his legal troubles. But this next Rated Rookie was a real blast from the past. I had forgotten all about this guy. The infamous Danny Tartabul Rated Rookie. I had fun opening the pack and finding this inside. Also, another Henderson a few more HOFers image

'85 Donruss and '84 Fleer

Whew. Well that did it for that portion of the rip. Now I'll begin the arduous process of ripping all the '86 Topps and getting disappointed when I see those centering/border issues. I'll post again when I finish that rip.

Arthur
  • Options
    Not bad for a white boy !

Swet cards arthur!

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 84D Murray is a beauty.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    These '86 Topps are absolutely brutal. None of my "star" cards I would submit to PSA and the nicest condition ones still haven't even been opened yet. I think I'll leave that Ryan, Rose and Ripken in their packages just because they look nicer and I doubt I would submit them. The one thing that chaps my saddles is that I didn't pull a single Clemens or Boggs. I've half a dozen Pascual Perez that are all 90/10 T/B but I couldn't pull one single Clemens just for my personal collection. Grrr...

I've got a stack of about 50 cards out of the rack box that look as though their centering is at least in the ballpark (8+). I'll go through them tomorrow with a loupe and eliminate 98% of 'em for various other problems. Hopefully I can pull 1 or 2 cards that have a shot at a 10.

The only question left to ask myself is what do I rip next? image

'86 Topps Baseball

The best of the ... well ... uhh ... "the best" image

Arthur
  • Options
    Arthur, The 86 Topps can be brutal ! If the centering doesnt get you then those top black borders will. I busted an 86 Topps case earlier this year and it was fun for the money. If I remember correctly that 86 Seaver if graded high may bring you some $$

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    wow I forgot tartabull's rc was 85 donruss...he didnt make it to topps unitl 1987!