Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The I'll never get my money back for this one auction of the night....

I was shocked last year when those people who spend more money than they know what to do with spent $800 for Cadillac Williams autos.

Now here's a beauty, not even an auto. A lot of dough for a BS GS card......
Reggie

The things I could buy with this money. Justify all you want......stupid!image

Comments

• Options
    that is a little ridiculous...who ever spends that much money on a card like that is not right...its nice. but completley ridiculous! i was happy with spx rookies i pulled one from 03 of larry johnson and one from 06 DeAngello Williams..ill take my cheapies any day!
    currently trying to complete these sets! any help is appreciated!!

2003 SPx Football
    2006 Topps Allen and Ginter

Joe Nuxhall cards, graded or raw

Bengals!
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    What's really crazy is that the card does not even look centered better than 45/55 L/R and still gets a Pristine 10

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What's really crazy is that the card does not even look centered better than 45/55 L/R and still gets a Pristine 10

262 >>

I agree it is crazy. I believe the right edge has a glare on it making it look a little oc. If you lok at the bottom right corner and follow the edge up you will see what I mean.

Matt
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Has anyone ever seen a BGS 10 being sold by an Ebayer with a feedback rating < 300?
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone ever seen a BGS 10 being sold by an Ebayer with a feedback rating < 300? >>

i sold 3 or 4 before my feedback was 300.. but that was a couple years ago..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I fail to see how that is any more or less stupid than buying any other $1000 card.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Has anyone ever seen a BGS 10 being sold by an Ebayer with a feedback rating < 300? >>

i sold 3 or 4 before my feedback was 300.. but that was a couple years ago.. >>

Wow. So you've actually gotten 10's from Beckett before?
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I think BGS grading is a joke, and I always have, but when you see auctions like this it makes me wonder. Maybe I should be taking advantage of the insane people that pay $1,000 for $150 cards in BGS slabs, too. I just didn't think there were that many crazy people out there.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    People buying these cards aren't collectors, they're speculators who are buying them as investments to flip.

You may criticize the card selection and saying it's not 'worth' $1000, but how is it any different than any other card someone wants to spend a grand on.

• Options
    I like to say, "To each his own". I'll take a PSA 8 Nolan Ryan rookie before the Reggie Bush (a whopping 2 yards per carry yesterday) card in question. There is such a miniscule difference between a BGS 9.5 and BGS 10 that I see little point in paying much of a premium for the 10. For what it is worth, I sent a Reggie Bush jersey card to BGS so hopefully I'll get the 10 and can pitch the thing for more than it is worth (to me). Heck, this guy might turn into the next Terrell Davis; the hype-> the stats-> the injury-> the dumping of cards for 10 cents on the dollar paid.
    "One you start thinking you're the best then you might as well quit because you wont get any better" - Dale Earnhardt
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭

I fail to see how that is any more or less stupid than buying any other $1000 card.

The difference is the inherent volatility of the modern card vs the vintage card.

the "stupid" part being irrelevent to the stated difference.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I fail to see how that is any more or less stupid than buying any other $1000 card.

The difference is the inherent volatility of the modern card vs the vintage card.

the "stupid" part being irrelevent to the stated difference. >>

Exactly. Thank you.

I'm surely not going to pretend spending a $1000 on a piece of cardboard would be considered sane by the majority of the population, but at least buy something that might retain it's value. Not a souped up, no autoed, BGS BS card that has no chance.

Then again, if you have that kind of money to throw around, good for you. Buy what you want. But the title was that the buyer has absolutely zero chance in my mind of every getting that kind of money out of that card, in the near or long term future.

JMO.

shawn