Home Sports Talk

Yankees Tigers Game 4 Thread

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
It's started off superbly, with jaret wright looking as stellar as ever.

Comments

• kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    arod now 1-12 ouch.... he must be pressing. cubs should go after him. jeter is yankee town. this is like mantle and maris.
  • Arot - groundout and an error that lead to a run scored, but it's ok he's Ax's guy.
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Arot - groundout and an error that lead to a run scored, but it's ok he's Ax's guy. >>

But those 3 runs that jaret wrong let in aren't his fault...dope.
  • Oh and before you say "where is the outrage over so and so", yes they all suck right now.
  • There you are. You're so freakin predictable.

<< <i>There you are. You're so freakin predictable. >>

And your 'outrage' over Arod is just as predictable...why whine about Arod's error when wright's a gascan up there?

• << <i>why whine about Arod's error when wright's a gascan up there? >>

I just said they all suck right now, but your continual defense of Arot is mind blowing.

<< <i>

<< <i>why whine about Arod's error when wright's a gascan up there? >>

I just said they all suck right now, but your continual defense of Arot is mind blowing. >>

And your continual attacks on Arod is disgusting.

Why do you get off in criticizing just one guy? Christ man get over it already.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    What a great day this is. image

By the way, how could they give A-Rod the error on the play that Sheffield botched at first? Everyone has it in for this guy.

<< <i>What a great day this is. image

By the way, how could they give A-Rod the error on the play that Sheffield botched at first? Everyone has it in for this guy. >>

While jeter doesn't get an error scored against him when it clearly was.

Of course they have it in for him...when you're the highest paid, and the best at what you do, everyone hates you.
  • I would love to see Bonderman get a complete game.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bonderman certainly stepped up today and showed why he is one of the games true emerging stars. Only a couple of years ago, this kid was on the verge of a 20-loss season, now he's a hometown hero.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • *sigh*
  • Thanks Jorge!
  • DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!URGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭
    congrats tigers.
    sorry yanks, maybe next year.

Love it love it love it!

Hit the door, jeter, and don'tcha come back no more no more no more!

• ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    What a great story!

2004 - Boston Red Sox

2005 - Chicago White Sox

2006 - Detroit Tigers?????

Congrats to the Tigers and their fans!
  • It's nice to see old guard teams with history win who have not won in a long time.
  • A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    That game was AWESOME!!!

I am so happy to have been able to experience that moment in person. It was truly incredible, and I will never forget it.

The Yankees are in shambles. I'm sure Steinbrenner's parting gift for A-Rod would be a noose if he had his way. But this series can't be blamed on A-Rod, as Sheffield, Giambi, Cano, Damon & Matsui all choked big time in the clutch. Heck, the only three guys on the entire team that were worth anything this series were Posada, Jeter & Wang.

Now on to Oakland, which is going to present a much tougher challenge, as they actually have good reliable starting pitching, but a much less intimidating line-up. Should be a great series as both teams match up quite well.

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to the Tigers! and fans!!

I wonder what the comparison is now between jeter and no rod?

jeter hit 500 something with no rod at a miserable 083.

maybe the resident dope will inform us. I can tell you this though Arod is not even at .300 anymore...................

hint .284 in 130 at bats

Steve
    Good for you.
    And your point is WP?

I see you crawled out from under the bed long enough to post one...Arod had a bad series...hopefully he goes somewhere where he'll be embraced.

You ny 'fans' make me sick.

• bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Congrats to the Tigers.

They were the better team from top to bottom. It is a well deserved and well earned victory for the team and the fans.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ax,

Arod is a very talented player, but it's hard to support a guy who's hitting under .100 over the past 3 posteasons. I just don't think he'll ever be comfortable in NY. Some players thrive on the spotlight, but he is defintely not one of them.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Ax,

Arod is a very talented player, but it's hard to support a guy who's hitting under .100 over the past 3 posteasons. I just don't think he'll ever be comfortable in NY. Some players thrive on the spotlight, but he is defintely not one of them. >>

It's different not to support, and to single someone out for failure when there's plenty of blame to pass around. Take away Jeter's 5 hits in one game and he surely didn't contribute, the pitching staff failed, Cano (the next Carew!) batted .091, Giambi batted .125, and the staff ERA for the series was 4.85.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    And your point is WP?

my point is that arod and jeter do not have the same batting average in the post season that you have steadfastly tried to prove. besides the fact that more then 300 at bats seperate them.

Steve

They were the better team from top to bottom. It is a well deserved and well earned victory for the team and the fans.

I agree, for the past 3 games at least they were. That is all that matters though.

Sd
    Good for you.
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    The Yankees really should use this opportunity to rebuild parts of their team. Mostly, their pitching staff. Wang could be a keeper, particularly if he could improve the K/BB ratio, but I think the rest of the staff is either getting too old or just not that good. When he was your Game 1 starter in a situation which gave the Yankees the luxury of "setting their rotation" for the playoffs, that's a problem.

At some point, Steinbrenner and Cashman need to realize that as much as it's a luxury to approach every weakness and injury by being able to throw more money at it, "buy it now" isn't always a sound way to build a team. They trade away too much of their top talent on the farm to teams who are patient for those players to develop. So when the Yankees have a need, they have trouble making trades because they rarely have the prospects many teams want. And when a young player *does* develop and become a young star as a Yankee (Soriano), they trade him away for someone more established and expensive.

The Yankees will always be a high-payroll team, I'm sure, and more often than not, the highest in the game. But there comes a time when you need to be *smart* with your money, because you start hitting diminishing returns when you get up into $200 million and counting. The problem is that Steinbrenner, and many Yankee fans, aren't willing to endure a year or two of missing the playoffs (or even if they make it, not winning the division) to make their team MUCH stronger for years to come.
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭✭
    My brother and I just got back from the game. I agree with A761506, what a blast that was. I'm so glad for the city. Not sure what they showed on TV, but after the game, the players went into the clubhouse, then game back out and did a lap around the stadium high fiving the fans. It was pretty darn cool.

Bonderman was unbelievable today. I think his pitch count after the 5th inning was 40. I've never seen him be so dominant and yet not strike hardly anyone out.

It's still kind of hard to believe I saw what I just saw . . .

It makes the MSU loss to the skunkbears a lot more bearable. It's almost as if that game didn't even take place today.

• << <i>And your point is WP?

I see you crawled out from under the bed long enough to post one...Arod had a bad series...hopefully he goes somewhere where he'll be embraced.

You ny 'fans' make me sick. >>

Errod hasn't had a solid series since the 2004 alds Ax. Look at the facts, not who you have the hots for.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to the Detroit Tigers and their fans image You all whupped us good. My father is besides himself ..... the only good thing that came out of this for me.

Good luck the rest of the way and beat the A's! I would hate to have to watch a world series in that miserable "ballpark" they play in.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to the Tigers and Tigers fans! Was an extremely well played series. They were very surprising in this series...with all the playoff inexperience other than Pudge and Rogers, they played like a TEAM. Watch out for the Tigers....but I must now continue the season as a Mets fan!

Go Mets!! image
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slap them silly A's around Detroit !!!! image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240