Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

UPDATED: Any solutions for Ebay sellers gouging on shipping?

I am a new member posting but have been reading for quite a while, and have read the threads regarding some sellers charging excessive shipping fees on Ebay to either compensate for lower priced auctions or just to avoid seller charges. With that said, I'm not here to whine, well maybe just a bit, but I recently bought 9 encased refractor cards and 2 raw cards from a seller, and was quoted $16.70 for shipping for less than 10 bucks worth of cards. Yes, the terms were stated, but is there any recourse with Ebay, say after you receive the package or it is completely clear that the cost is completely inflated?

Updated to add that I received the package last night, and it was very safely packaged, in a flat rate priority box. I hope you find the extra $8.60 you made off of me on shipping helps you out there Chris.

Comments

• Fee circumvention via excessive shipping is illegal on Ebay, but it always happens. Unless the auctions are flagged and pulled, sellers will get away from it. You could make note of his absurd shipping charges in his feedback, but more than likely you will get retalitory feedback left. Best bet is to not bid on his auctions ever again. Or to be evil and pray he doesn't use delivery confirmation and file an item not received claim image
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I always figure the cost of shipping and buyers premium (if any) into my bid.
    If it doesn't come out reasonable, I just walk away. You can certainly find modern stuff anytime.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• << <i>Yes, the terms were stated, but is there any recourse with Ebay, say after you receive the package or it is completely clear that the cost is completely inflated? >>

You recourse that you ask about is that if you didnt like the shipping terms should of refrained from bidding.

Do what Griffins advised and you should never have a problem.

The problem lies is that most people factor in the shipping before they bid therefore items from these sellers generally will sell for less .
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Always ASK any questions before you bid on Feebay. Never ever assume that someone is going to do the "right thing" on there.

Too many Turdbags floating around on there. I'm glad I'm nearly done selling PSA stuff.

I had a guy win 17 1959 Fleers from me last weekend. I was Elated that one person won that many so I didn't have to invoice, etc...17 different additional people! I charged him a nice chunk Less than my listings state for multiple purchases because he saved me a BUNCH of time and trouble!
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Make sure you check the shipping rates before you bid. Walk if you dont like it. Otherwise, try emailing the seller and see if he can lower the shipping.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Anybody have a theory as to why eBay allows the one-cent listings
    with the $50.00 shipping?

Some of the China listings are more than $100.00 S&H.

Last week, when India got to list for cheap, there were
    listings that started below one-cent because they were
    denominated in Rupees.

In auction format, such listings are not a violation, per se.
    (The seller has "no way of knowing what the FV will be,"
    according to Trust and Safety.)

In BIN, they are a violation. Yet, eBay lets them continue.
    Why?

The FVF on a one-cent sale is <1. PayPal makes money on
    such sales. eBay only gets the listing fees. Maybe they let
    it go JUST because PayPal is collecting.

storm
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • I think the best way is too look at excessive shipping is to figure the shipping into what you can pay for an item. I think that the ebay buyer community for the most part is smart. Sellers that charge excessive shipping get less for their items....(unless it is something extremely rare) I just look at excessive shipping as part of what i am paying for the item. if you look at it in that way it really makes little or no difference.
    Buying Vintage Boxing...especially T218 and T220..email if you have cards you would like to sell.
  • I have to step in and add my thoughts because I was the seller of these cards! I pretty much agree that all buyers should read the shipping costs clearly and account for that when they make their bid. But I also want to point out that the shipping cost (in my opinion) wasn't really excessive in the first place. I was charging $2.95 for the encased cards (quite a bit heavier and bulkier than any raw card) and my policy is always clearly stated that I will take half off of all items after the first. I don't think $1.47 per encased card is excessive. The buyer and I emailed back and forth on this and I agreed that if when I saw the total of the actual shipping cost was actually quite a bit more than quoted, I would upgrade the service to Express or whatever other service gets the cards there fastest. So I ask you (not to offend the buyer, but to be aware for future sales) was the cost excessive in your opinions? Be fair...I can take it.
  • What was the final s/h price and for how many cards?

Arthur
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭
    Shipping should be $4 or $5 at the VERY most. I ship everything a buyer can win for the flat rate of $2 and I'm sure I have probably made money in the long run. Even when some buyers win a few cards and it costs $3 to ship, there are plenty where it only costs $.70 or $.80 to ship. $16 for 11 cards is ludicrous.
    JOhn
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Even if the cards weighed 20 pounds you could have shipped them in a USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate box for $8.10.
  • Fair enough. Keep in mind these aren't just individual raw cards...these are the encased refractors. Just one is larger and heavier than 11 cards alone. That being said, I understand what you're saying. So my next question would be...how do I communicate my policy. Would it be by range of cards ($1 for 1-5 cards, $2 for 6-10, etc.) or just keep the same policy of half off and if more than 2 or 3 items are won, just make a quote that is fair?
    I normally add .50 for each additional card.
    I don't have a problem with how much anyone charges for shipping, as long as it is stated. I just take it into account when I am bidding.
  • There are a few ways to go about it Charlie.

The way I look at it when I sell (rarely) is what will the item(s) be shipped in? If it's just a graded card in a small bubble mailer than it's not going to cost anything over $0.80 (and usually in the low-$0.60s) to ship in the continental US. Add the cost of the bubble mailer plus whatever else you have (insurance, delivery confirmation, etc) and there you go.

When trying to calculate shipping for multiple separate lots that were won it's usually best to just mention that you will combine shipping to save the buyer money and say that you'll charge actual shipping costs. In a case where multiple lots are won you just use your best judgment. Obviously, 20 raw cards will be cheaper to ship than 20 graded cards but $16+ is borderline absurd. Like someone else mentioned, you could use a flat rate box for $8.10.

While it's difficult to calculate a lot for double-digit auctions won you still had the opportunity to lower the shipping rate before you invoiced the buyer.

My $0.02 image

Arthur
  • If it will fit in a priority flat rate I'll stuff it all in. Those boxes or great put 75 pounds in one last week. 8.10 though the guy at the post office couldn't believe how heavy it was.image
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    to comment a little further, the 11 cards totaled $9.06, and was quoted $16.70 for shipping. As mentioned, I did know this going into bidding(I did actually miscalculate my cost at my own fault as I was bidding on a few rc refractors he had up that were raw that said $1.95 for shipping, half of that for each additional, and price is determined from highest shipping cost, which was $2.95 for the encased refractors) I did know the cost going into and did factor it in, but like I said, I was just doing a bit of venting. Like I told the seller, you can pay your Ebay and paypal fees, gas to get to the post office and back, shipping materials, and send it flat rate priority with insurance and delivery confirmation and still not get to $16.70. He pretty much played ignorance and told me if he got to the post office and it was much cheaper(it would be like $4-$5 as mentioned here) he would bump the service up to priority.
  • Sorry, I didn't mean to play this out publicly as I thought we had worked it out via email...but I just thought I should defend myself. I'm also sorry if you think I'm "playing ignorant" by quoting the discounted shipping policy that was listed in each posting as I've never sold these encased cards before so rather than risk taking a loss on the shipping (when you only paid less than $1 for the cards in the first place so the profit margin is very minimal) I thought I should stick to the policy and offer upgraded service if I saw that the actual cost was much different than what was quoted. If that wasn't fair, I apologize, but I still don't think it's as far off the mark as people make it out to be. Obviously public opinion says otherwise so I will need to relook at the policy I have.
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭
    Charlie, you can't go wrong with cheap shipping prices. As I said, I ship everything a buyer can win for $2. I am positive it has gotten me better sales than some people that charge rediculous shipping rates, and I have made money in the long run. And I haven't gouged anyone on shipping! Everyone wins! You can fit those encased cards into a extra large (8x10) size bubble mailer and it will be much less than half your quoted shipping price to actually mail the cards.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Charlie,

I'm not trying to give you a hard time because I had to find out the hard way myself (as I imagine you are now image) when I sold some books on eBay. I'm not a full-time or regular seller so it was quite an adventure that I ended up taking a small hit on in the end but the lesson learned and information I obtained in regard to proper and accurate shipping was worth it (thanks in no small part to the members of this board who helped me through it.)

When all else fails you can always use eBay's shipping calculator to get an exact USPS quote. Good luck and I hope this works out for the both of you!

Arthur
    Charlie,

I am not trying to run your name in the mud and specifically left out any auction numbers or any details so anyone could look up what I was talking about. If I have said anything that is absolutely untrue on here about what transpired, please point it out. I have been getting screwed on postage really bad lately, (won 8 cards, all raw in toploaders, paid $8.00 to ship and they got sent in an manilla envelope, not even a bubble mailer, with $1.13 postage, also won 4 cards from a different seller, again, paid $8 and they arrive not too safely packaged and loose in a bubble mailer, package has 98 cents of postage on it.) I used our e-mail conversation as an example of what I feel is excessive shipping and will absolutely say that you were a gentleman in replying back and forth and after talking with you, I paid you immediately.
  • I understand, and you're right to question a sellers policies although I wish you would have done so before bidding on the items. I'm certainly not a big time dealer (don't consider myself a dealer at all...just trying to support my card habit by selling some of the "extras" off), so I am still learning what works and what doesn't. I hope to have all customers happy with the item they get and service they receive so I hope by the end of this transaction you will be satisfied.
    It's nice to see 2 people with differing opinions have a discussion without disparaging(sp) and rude comments towards each other, as is generally the case on these boards. I usually try to stay out of the trash talking; this is what it is all about.
    Kudos to you both.
    bump for the update

• << <i>I always figure the cost of shipping and buyers premium (if any) into my bid. >>

<< <i>If it doesn't come out reasonable, I just walk away. You can certainly find modern stuff anytime. >>

The quote that should have ended this thread -

thankfully you don't get to make that decision
  • And thankfully, I read all auctions completely before I bid, thereby negating the need to come onto a message board and create the 174,645,983rd thread about being "gouged" on clearly stated shipping charges and having to make comments like "hope you enjoyed that three dollars you stole from me on shipping..."

Other people have looked at the same auctions, figured the shipping price into the "deal" they were getting, and made the decision as to whether or not to bid. The time to question shipping charges is before you bid, not after you've rec'd the cards...
    apparently your great intelligence fails you to open threads with this same topic discussion though however, and further compels you to try to belittle people, I applaud your internet courage, good for you.

Since your so wondering, yes, I had figured the shipping in, but it was different shipping charges on different cards I had bid on and correspondingly threw the shipping charges I figured off.
  • I have to agree with squared on this one which is to know exactly what you are paying before hitting the bid button. I will occasionally get a very good deal on a card even when factoring excessive s/h charges. If you think shipping will be high it may not hurt to inform the seller that you will bid on multiple items if he is willing to work with you on shipping. If the seller is unwilling then you need to make the decision to pay or walk away. There is one thing to potentially watch out for and that is sellers promising refunds excluding (potentially excessive) shipping fees on items that may be deceptively advertised. I don't think this is rampant as any additional cash flow is small but this did happen to me. I've come to the conclusion that schit just happens on eBay. You win some battles, you lose others.
    "One you start thinking you're the best then you might as well quit because you wont get any better" - Dale Earnhardt

• << <i>Since your so wondering, yes, I had figured the shipping in, but it was different shipping charges on different cards I had bid on and correspondingly threw the shipping charges I figured off. >>

Oh. So now the seller should pay for your mistake... NOW I get it...
    sorry, but your assumption is wrong yet again squared. Using one of his auction listings totaled a tad over $11 shipping, already way too much for 1st class, which was what was quoted in the auction as standard shipping, but was something I had and did consider when bidding. I did make a mistake and overlook that his auctions had different shipping prices and that caused the $16.70 shipping fee, which to the seller's credit, he was true to his word and did upgrade them to priority. I was simply venting about getting gouged, yes, "gouged" and asking if there are any available methods to report this to Ebay as proof of being significantly overcharged on shipping, my post was intended to ask that help question and vent, which it did. Not sure where your problem with that lies, but as alluded to earlier, keep up the tough guy routine, it is impressive.

• Funny, my original post only echoed what about 8 other people said, yet you have a problem with me only ... Not sure where the "tough guy" thing comes from - especially since you created this thread, called a dude out, updated the thread to say "hope you enjoyed your extra 8 dollars" updated the title, and "bumped for the update" the thread so people could see the clever extra 8 beans remark....

Whatever... Hope crying made you feel better about the 8 bucks. Good luck in your future ebay purchases, and again, I suggest fully reading all auctions BEFORE bidding...
    you sure do open up to new posters well, thanks for telling us what we should post about despite many helpful people here offering advice. Sure, some were completely blunt and I agree with them, but I was only looking for any helpful solutions maybe someone here ran into in the past,how many times do I have to repeat that was the point of the thread, I didn't come to point out names, seller's ID's, nothing of the sort. You should follow your own advice, if you don't like what you see, then move along.

• << <i>sorry, but your assumption is wrong yet again squared. Using one of his auction listings totaled a tad over $11 shipping, already way too much for 1st class, which was what was quoted in the auction as standard shipping, but was something I had and did consider when bidding. I did make a mistake and overlook that his auctions had different shipping prices and that caused the $16.70 shipping fee, which to the seller's credit, he was true to his word and did upgrade them to priority. I was simply venting about getting gouged, yes, "gouged" and asking if there are any available methods to report this to Ebay as proof of being significantly overcharged on shipping, my post was intended to ask that help question and vent, which it did. Not sure where your problem with that lies, but as alluded to earlier, keep up the tough guy routine, it is impressive. >>

You are a fricking moron.

Please give me your ID so that I can add you to my blocked bidder's list.
    quite a cute post history there bhl2359, lots of insults, calling people d*ck, f you douchebag, and various other things, contributing nothing of any importance. Looks like we got another case of internet courage here. I'll tell you what, post your Ebay handle and I will be sure not to bid on your auctions.

• << <i>quite a cute post history there bhl2359, lots of insults, calling people d*ck, f you douchebag, and various other things, contributing nothing of any importance. Looks like we got another case of internet courage here. I'll tell you what, post your Ebay handle and I will be sure not to bid on your auctions. >>

Thanks for taking the time to research me, loser.

Your "contributions", on the other hand, have been VERY important.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think everyone here has good points.

And yes, we've been down this road many times - I bypassed the thread since I have read this stuff before.

But...

I did miss that this was a new member.

So...

Welcome Drewsef.

The first thing I do after looking at the FB rating is the shipping policy before I place a snipe - as most do.

So, guys, how about if we rewind the tape and start over.
    Good luck Drew and don't be a stranger.
    your friend
    mike
    Mike
    whatever some of you guys want to say you can have at it, it's too easy to hide behind a computer and flap your gums. I'm here to talk sports cards, and football in particular.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These kind of issues should be handled one on one between the seller and the buyer. Frankly, I think we've all heard enough about ebay shipping charges to last a lifetime.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.