Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone watching Ryan Howard?

The dude has 9 HR's in his last 11 games, including 3 (so far) today! He has really been on a tear lately. Any projections on how many he'll end the seaon with? I'm guessing about 65. (He has 52 so far this season.)
<< image >>

Comments

• Options
    Would you guys consider Howard the "true" HR champ if he hits 62 or more?
  • Options
    Roger Maris is the true HR champ until a challenger can prove they are free of steroids.
  • Options
    Say what you want, Maris is the "sentimental" HR champ, but in reality, Bonds hold the single season record. Too many haters out there... not enough Pimpin....

Play on....
    Nothing smoother than listening to Bob James and sipping on a glass of vintage Courvoisier! It's PIMPnificent!
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Bonds 73* is a sham .... so is Big Mac and Sosa
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    The reality is that Bonds has less than 20 homers now and can't hit the broad side of a barn without the juice.

JS
  • Options

<< <i>Bonds 73* is a sham .... so is Big Mac and Sosa >>

No matter how you feel, it is in the record books and is there until someone else breaks it.

Pimp On...
    Nothing smoother than listening to Bob James and sipping on a glass of vintage Courvoisier! It's PIMPnificent!
  • Options

<< <i>The reality is that Bonds has less than 20 homers now and can't hit the broad side of a barn without the juice.

JS >>

Unless he is playing against the Braves image

Play On....
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Roger Maris is the true HR champ until a challenger can prove they are free of steroids. >>

How about proving they did use steroids. As far as I know, Bonds has NEVER tested positive.

By the way, Maris, Mantle and Ruth were certainly the best from that time period.

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Roger Maris is the true HR champ until a challenger can prove they are free of steroids. >>

How about proving they did use steroids. As far as I know, Bonds has NEVER tested positive.

By the way, Maris, Mantle and Ruth were certainly the best from that time period. >>

The best in segregated baseball.

Pimp On....
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    I was at the Cubs game yesterday and sat in the left field bleachers. Bonds was playing left. They were kicking people out left and right that were yelling things at Bonds. One guy got kicked out for wearing a shirt that said "Roids - 25" on the back. One guy got kicked out for flipping Barry off.

I think its rediculous that they were getting booted for this. There was a 6'7 security guy who looked just like Richard Dent that was policing my section of the left field bleachers. The best thing I saw was a woman had a green * that was like one of those foam fingers. The guys didn't say anything to her. I found it funny because I am certain they didn't understand what it meant.

I'm not sure on my feelings of this with the whole "Steoids" and the whole *. It seems any time a long time record is broken people want to put an * next to the new guy. Ask Maris about that. I think too little is known still about who did what and exactly what they took to count out anything anyone has accomplished. That being said, medicine is still evolving and getting smarter. How does anyone know there isn't a new designer HGH or steroid that Howard is taking? I think its great what he's doing but there will be skepticism and doubt because this still is the "steroid age".

What i hate is that if Bonds, McGuire and Sosa were taking anything that was performance enhancing, I just wonder what they would have been able to do without it. Before Bonds bulked up, he was one of the best to ever play the game. The sweetest swing and a long career. If he was taking "stuff" from 98-2003 its a shame because despite being and a$$hole, he was a sure fire first ballot guy.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>

By the way, Maris, Mantle and Ruth were certainly the best from that time period. >>

"That time period" was 54 years! I think Ruth was in an era well before Mantle and Maris and was completely unparalelled in the "time period" he played in. Mantle and Maris played together and were far and away the best in '61.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>

Seems kind of odd that once testing became the norm, Bonds sat out an entire year and then returned with warning track power.....
  • Options

<< <i>Seems kind of odd that once testing became the norm, Bonds sat out an entire year and then returned with warning track power..... >>

21 HR's is hardly "warning track power." Especially at 42 years old.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    21 HR's is hardly "warning track power." Especially at 42 years old.

Very true. Bonds is an all-time great player with or without steroids. I know he's about as unpopular these days as Saddam Hussein, but there are many other sluggers who are just as guilty as anything he's done.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Just fun Facts: Averaged One HR in every 10.61 at bats played 1874 games Who am I ?
    Averaged One HR in every 11.76 at bats played 2503 games Who am I ?
    Averaged One HR in every 12.95 at bats played 2841 games Who am I ?
    Averaged One HR in every 14.22 at bats played 2435 games Who am I ?
    Averaged One HR in every 14.75 at bats played 2231 games Who am I ?
    Averaged One HR in every 14.29 at bats played 2240 games Who am I ?
    Averaged One HR in every 16.38 at bats played 3298 games WHo am I ?
    Averaged One HR in every 16.50 at bats played 2992 games Who am I ?
    Averaged One HR in every 17.07 at bats played 2808 games Who am I ?
    Averaged One HR in every 17.52 at bats played 2820 games Who am I ?
    Averaged One HR in every 18.40 at bats played 2831 games Who am I ?

All have hit 562 or more home runs who was juiced and who was not?
    Who was really the all time homerun king? hint 1 in 11.76 at bats
  • Options

<< <i>I was at the Cubs game yesterday and sat in the left field bleachers. Bonds was playing left. They were kicking people out left and right that were yelling things at Bonds. One guy got kicked out for wearing a shirt that said "Roids - 25" on the back. One guy got kicked out for flipping Barry off.

I think its rediculous that they were getting booted for this. There was a 6'7 security guy who looked just like Richard Dent that was policing my section of the left field bleachers. The best thing I saw was a woman had a green * that was like one of those foam fingers. The guys didn't say anything to her. I found it funny because I am certain they didn't understand what it meant.

I'm not sure on my feelings of this with the whole "Steoids" and the whole *. It seems any time a long time record is broken people want to put an * next to the new guy. Ask Maris about that. I think too little is known still about who did what and exactly what they took to count out anything anyone has accomplished. That being said, medicine is still evolving and getting smarter. How does anyone know there isn't a new designer HGH or steroid that Howard is taking? I think its great what he's doing but there will be skepticism and doubt because this still is the "steroid age".

What i hate is that if Bonds, McGuire and Sosa were taking anything that was performance enhancing, I just wonder what they would have been able to do without it. Before Bonds bulked up, he was one of the best to ever play the game. The sweetest swing and a long career. If he was taking "stuff" from 98-2003 its a shame because despite being and a$$hole, he was a sure fire first ballot guy. >>

Grown people acting like kids. That's not pimpin'. I'd have them removed too....

Play On....
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Read the book "Game of Shadows" for the info on Bonds "alleged" steroid use... Wow.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    So, what "evidence" have they collected against Sosa?

McGwire pled the 5th, and got the black mark.
    Raffy denied it, then got busted, tried to blame Tejada, got virturally run out of baseball.
    Bonds denied it, had a book writen about him, and got the black mark, and has government hounds out for his blood.
    Giambi admitted it, got a pass, and resumed his power-hitting ways.
    Sheffield admitted it (blamed Bonds), got a shrug and a pass.

Sosa? What'd he do? What'd they find on him?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sosa? What'd he do? What'd they find on him? >>

He forgot how to speak English.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>He forgot how to speak English. >>

Now THAT'S funny!
  • Options

<< <i>The reality is that Bonds has less than 20 homers now and can't hit the broad side of a barn without the juice.

JS >>

steroids don't improve bat speed or placement.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>steroids don't improve bat speed or placement. >>

Steroids does improve bat speed, it makes everything stronger and more limber including your wrists,forearms,biceps,triceps and back muscles where most if not all your bat speed is generated. It also allows you to swing a heavier bat thus giving you more distance on the ball!One thing that steroids also does is makes you feel great each and everyday and not sluggish after the 3rd inning of game 87 and so on.
    Anybody that thinks that steroids doesn't help greatly is far gone or in denial?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    I never meant this thread to deteriorate into another steriods debate. I've been trying to enjoy some baseball, assuming that the new testing program has "cleaned up" the game. However, after reading numerous threads both trash and support certain players suspected of using steroids, I wanted to respond. Here's my take:

Isn't it the baseball head offices that are to blame? The way I understand it, steroids were not a banned substance for several years. Only after congressional involvement did the so-called commissioner decide to act. It seems to me that everyone was fat and happy when players were hitting home-runs at a record pace and the stands were filled. The game has become totally about money and baseball did not care about anything else. Unfortunately to fans, the game is all about history and tradition. I have observed a continual decline in baseball since Bud Selig has become "commissioner". The guy is an owner and his interest is not in the good of the game but in the welfare of his fellow owners. We need someone like Kenesaw Mountain Landis (1920-1944), Ford Frick (1951-1965), or even Bowie Kuhn (1969-1984). The commissioner's office was supposed to be there for the good of the game - not an owner's lackey. So instead of putting the blame squarely on the shoulders of those who let it happen, we point fingers at the players who are competeing for multi-million dollar jobs and doing everything they legally can to improve their performance. When there is talk of commonly seeing players giving each other "injections" of whatever substance, I cringe. How sad that this is what it takes to perform at the major league level. But that is what baseball has allowed. It had become an accepted practice. A Baltimore player died a couple years ago from some kind of injection and what was baseball's reaction? They had to take time to "study" the incident. They really didn't care that the players were taking stuff, or that someone died from it - they were more concerned about how it would affect their revenue. That was what they had to "study". As long as it wasn't illegal, they were not about to step forward and ban any substance as long as it improved player performances and drew bigger crowds. They cared neither for the player or the game - only the gate.

I do not condone the use of whatever performance enhancing substance is the "flavor of the day", and I do not judge the players who were by acquiecence allowed to use whatever drug they chose. But I am deeply disappointed that the owners have seen fit to. in effect, abolish the office of commissioner and the role is was meant to fulfill. I maintain that a strong commissioner would have acted to prevent much of the drug use that has forever tainted our glorious pasttime.

And now back to our original topic - How about that Ryan Howard!
    << image >>
  • Options
    Well you can make an argument that the painkillers that Mantle took were "performance enhancing" they reduced the pain he was in to the level that he could play normally. You could argue that all the alcohol that Ruth and Cobb drank were performance enhancing. Alcohol is a depressant, but it can make someone stronger and is a pain killer. I think every era has had its problems that put a black mark on records. Remember for years there was a asterisk besides Maris' record
  • Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    When I was in Vegas in March for the first round of the NCAA tourney I was looking for a prop bet to throw $20 on for s&^$ and giggles. I was looking at the odds to lead the majors in home runs and one line immediately jumped out at me:

Ryan Howard 28-1

As a Phillie fan I said this is my bet. When I placed my wager he had been bet down to 20-1 but still I'm liking my chances of collecting $400 which I will take and put towards a 55 Clemente to complete my first registry set!

Go Phils!
  • Options
    Oh great. Now lamontcarter is betting on baseball! I hope you know you will now be banned from entering the HOF. image

Congrats though on a well placed wager. And at least the proceeds will go to a good cause. image It's always nice when a favorite home player has an outstanding year.
    << image >>
  • Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mutt, after years of betting the Eagles to win the bowl or the Flyers to win the cup I decided to bet on something I actually had a chance to win image
  • Options

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? McGwire never used illegal steroids. Bonds, well, the jury's still out on that one, literally.
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options

<< <i>So, what "evidence" have they collected against Sosa?

McGwire pled the 5th, and got the black mark.
    Raffy denied it, then got busted, tried to blame Tejada, got virturally run out of baseball.
    Bonds denied it, had a book writen about him, and got the black mark, and has government hounds out for his blood.
    Giambi admitted it, got a pass, and resumed his power-hitting ways.
    Sheffield admitted it (blamed Bonds), got a shrug and a pass.

Sosa? What'd he do? What'd they find on him? >>

Sosa's batting average almost went below .200

Pimp On...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sosa? What'd he do? What'd they find on him? >>

He forgot how to speak English. >>

Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options

<< <i><<Sosa? What'd he do? What'd they find on him? >>

Sosa's batting average almost went below .200 >>

So that means what? A skill drop off isn't necessarly an uncommon thing. Check out the batting averages for the last 3 seasons of some other legendary players:

Sosa: .279, .253, .221

Mike Schmidt: .293, .249, .203
    Mickey Mantle: .288, .245, .237
    Hank Aaron: .268, .234, .229
    Willie Mays: .271, .250, .211

• Options

<< <i>Sosa: .279, .253, .221

Mike Schmidt: .293, .249, .203
    Mickey Mantle: .288, .245, .237
    Hank Aaron: .268, .234, .229
    Willie Mays: .271, .250, .211 >>

Sosa not only is the youngest of that group but also played the least number of seasons. With today's medical advancement, he should have at least contributed just as long and in fact, expected to play longer.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Sosa not only is the youngest of that group but also played the least number of seasons. With today's medical advancement, he should have at least contributed just as long and in fact, expected to play longer. >>

Medical advancement will keep players out there playing, but it doesn't necessarly mean that they're going to keep playing at peak levels. If that was the case, Griffey Jr would be hitting his 660th home run this year.

Besides, the medical side doesn't help the mental side. If a player loses his edge, he won't perform as well.

Mickey Mantle retired at age 36, after 18 years of baseball.
    Sosa's last season ended when he was 36 as well, after 17 years in the league.

Some more recent sluggers (either HoF or got enough votes to survive on the ballot)
    Ryne Sandberg retired at age 37 (16 seasons) (HOF).
    Don Mattingly retired at age 34 (14 seasons) (entering 7th year on ballot).
    Dale Murphy retired at age 37 (18 seasons) (entering 9th year on ballot).

• Options

<< <i>Well you can make an argument that the painkillers that Mantle took were "performance enhancing" they reduced the pain he was in to the level that he could play normally. You could argue that all the alcohol that Ruth and Cobb drank were performance enhancing. Alcohol is a depressant, but it can make someone stronger and is a pain killer. I think every era has had its problems that put a black mark on records. Remember for years there was a asterisk besides Maris' record >>

Comparing painkillers and booze to roids? Maris had an asterick because he played in more games in the recordbreaking season, and it took him those extra games to break the record.

Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>If a player loses his edge, he won't perform as well. >>

You mean his edge like taking steriods, corking bats, or speaking English? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well you can make an argument that the painkillers that Mantle took were "performance enhancing" they reduced the pain he was in to the level that he could play normally. You could argue that all the alcohol that Ruth and Cobb drank were performance enhancing. Alcohol is a depressant, but it can make someone stronger and is a pain killer. I think every era has had its problems that put a black mark on records. Remember for years there was a asterisk besides Maris' record >>

Comparing painkillers and booze to roids? Maris had an asterick because he played in more games in the recordbreaking season, and it took him those extra games to break the record. >>

My thoughts as well! Steroids = painkillers? C'mon, let's be real here!

And as far as the arguement that it was the head honchos of baseball that are to blame for not outlawing steroids, I say 2 things:1-I agree they share part of the blame for turning a blind eye to the problem for so long, however there was no need for them to outlaw something that was already outlawed by US laws. Does baseball need to outlaw cocaine too? No they don't, cuz it's already against the law.

And let's get over this "innocent until proven guilty" crap. We're not in a court of law here; this is the court of public opinion and the public has more than enough evidence to say Bonds, McGwire, Raffy, Sosa, Giambi, Sheffeild, Canseco, Caminetti, onandonandonandon...are guilty!
  • Options
    Oh yeah, and Ryan Howard is awesome!
  • Options
    It isn't IF Bonds took steroids, it has already been documented.
  • Options

<< <i>Oh yeah, and Ryan Howard is awesome! >>

• Options

<< <i>the public has more than enough evidence to say Bonds, McGwire, Raffy, Sosa, Giambi, Sheffeild, Canseco, Caminetti, onandonandonandon...are guilty! >>

All the other guys either admitted it (directly or indirectly) or got busted.

Hence my question, what "evidence" is there that Sosa took roids?

Bonds = admitted (indirectly) in grand jury testamony.
    McGwire = guilt implied by pleding the 5th.
    Raffy = busted by testing
    Giambi = admitted it
    Sheffield = admitted it
    Canseco = admitted it
    Caminetti = admitted it

Sosa = ???

• Options

<< <i>Hence my question, what "evidence" is there that Sosa took roids? >>

No habla Español
  • Options
    By the way...

baseballreference.com has Ryan Howard's 2005 weight listed at 230 lbs.
    For this year..
    MLB.com has it at 250 lbs.
    ESPN and SI have it at 252 lbs.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but I've seen some folks take "rapid weight gain" and "increased HR totals" and turn it into "evidence" that someone is juicing.

• Options

<< <i><< Hence my question, what "evidence" is there that Sosa took roids? >>

No habla Español >>

Uh, you mean "no habla Ingles."

Ok, I did a little reading up. I saw his corked bat story.

Sigh. Gaylord Perry and Don Sutton are just about as blatent about their ball-doctoring antics as Canseco is about his juicing, but folks seem to just wink at the pitchers and say "You sly dog!"

• Options

<< <i>By the way...

baseballreference.com has Ryan Howard's 2005 weight listed at 230 lbs.
    For this year..
    MLB.com has it at 250 lbs.
    ESPN and SI have it at 252 lbs.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but I've seen some folks take "rapid weight gain" and "increased HR totals" and turn it into "evidence" that someone is juicing. >>

The only thing I would accuse Ryan Howard of is eating much better on a major league salary...........
  • Options

<< <i>Uh, you mean "no habla Ingles." >>

Sorry, I should have put in a sarcasm icon afterwards but assumed you got the point image
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Sosa's face changed shape - almost as much as Giambi's.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.