Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

SMR says $135, but what do think it is worth?

A 1976 Topps #255 Bob Griese PSA 10 books for $135 in SMR (Pop 3, 81 graded by PSA)

...Here is a seller asking ("Buy it now!") $447! is this seller closer to reality than SMR's $135 price tag? image

LINK - 1976 TOPPS BOB GRIESE PSA 10 MIAMI DOLPHINS GEM MINT!!!

Here are other SMR Pricing for the PSA 10 key cards in this series:

$3500 - #148 Walter Payton Rookie (POP 34, of 3147 cards)
$500 -- #075 Terry Bradshaw (POP 1, of 194 cards) Note: I bought this card for $1500 and sold it for more!!!!!!!
$425 -- #220 Jack Lambert Rookie (POP 2, of 418 cards)
$400 -- #158 Randy White Rookie (POP 1, of 338 cards)
$375 -- #395 Roger Staubach (POP 3, of 262 cards)
$350 -- #128 Dan Fouts (POP 2, of 177 cards)
$335 -- #427 Ed Too Tall Jones Rookie (POP 5, of 241 cards)
$250 -- #300 O.J. Simpson (POP 3, of 108 cards)
$225 -- #140 Lynn Swann (No 10's!, 116 cards)
$225 -- #415 Ken Stabler (POP 2, of 114 cards)

There are plenty of great & HOF players, at low SMR (in PSA 10) in this set (i.e., Griese, Blanda, Tarkenton, Harvey Martin, Franco Harris, Theisman, Joe Green, Spurrier, Riggins, Dawson, Pearson, Ham, Jaws, Csonka, Mel Blount, Sipe, Blier and more!

Anyone else think SMR is too low for many of these issues? Your thoughts?

rd

Comments

• Options
    I've dealt with this seller many times in the past, and though his "buy it nows" seem exaggerated, he can be easy to work with. I even have him acknowledged on my 1973 football registry set for helping me complete it. Sometimes he is stubborn with his prices.

As for this particular auction, if my memory serves correct, I think the last 1976 PSA 10 Griese sold on ebay several months ago went for around $350. I might have that mixed up with a '75 Griese PSA 10 I also saw sold on ebay for around that price. Considering the cert # on this Griese card, though, I would not touch it with a 10-foot pole. Nonetheless, SMR might be a little unreliable on this as 70's Dolphins (stars and commons) in high grade tend to sell considerably higher than SMR, at least as far as I've seen and I watch these frequently. A buyer just left him positive feedback for a 1978 PSA 10 Archie Manning bought for $197 where Archie is not listed on the SMR and singles in PSA 10 have an SMR of $40. So, in my opinion, it's hard to go by the SMR value at times.
    Kelly
  • Options
    Also, I think I saw a PSA 10 Jack Lambert sell for around $900 about a year ago, may have been higher. With PSA 9 Lamberts selling recently on ebay between $250-300, the SMR value of $425 in PSA 10 is definately way too low.
  • Options

<< <i>Considering the cert # on this Griese card, though, I would not touch it with a 10-foot pole. >>

This may be a silly question, but what's wrong with this cert #?
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Considering the cert # on this Griese card, though, I would not touch it with a 10-foot pole. >>

This may be a silly question, but what's wrong with this cert #? >>

814/815 prefix usually signifies a 'bulk' grader. Usually overgraded, IMO...
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    with a population of only 3, there is no one more in a position to tell people what this card is worth than the guy with the actual card.
    When you are the only guy on the bay with a card that you know isn't going to show up for months, then you have the right to
    ask whatever you want for the card. It really is a sellers market on cards like this. SMR is worthless in times like this.

JS
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

This may be a silly question, but what's wrong with this cert #? >>

814/815 prefix usually signifies a 'bulk' grader. Usually overgraded, IMO... >>

So that means nobody will touch my cards? I had a whole submission come back with that prefix; they are graded fair and acurately. I really feel like these rumors need to stop about the integrity of the grading process. Yeah, PSA may miss one here or there, but it goes both ways. If you go to a show and present your case to them, they'll give you a free review 99 times out of 100. I've even had Joe O. look at a card for me and at the time I was only 16. While mistakes can happen on individual cards, I trust PSA enough to know that they are not bumping entire orders up just because the guys getting the cards graded are in the 5-digits with their orders.

What is it going to take for these rumors to stop about big dealers "buying" grades? It is a boring, outdated, and just plain ridiculous argument that clutters up the boards.

-Ian
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Ian- I've got stacks of cards with just about every cert prefix, and found no correlation between cert numbers and sliders.

<< <i>I've even had Joe O. look at a card for me and at the time I was only 16 >>

He's just trying to keep you happy so you won't keep pressing him for that non sport special image

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>I agree with Ian- I've got stacks of cards with just about every cert prefix, and found no correlation between cert numbers and sliders.

<< <i>I've even had Joe O. look at a card for me and at the time I was only 16 >>

He's just trying to keep you happy so you won't keep pressing him for that non sport special image >>

You got me. image
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    Great point Ian. PSA has stated many times that cert numbers have nothing to do with any individual grader or submitter.

I too am very tired of the discussion.

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

I know you can't always judge a card by a scan, but this Griese scan looks pretty damn good to me, no?

rd

• Options
    TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    So if there are lots of 10s in this set does that mean they are easy to come by? How bout a 76 FB case to go with the 75 topps minis!!!!!!!!
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
  • Options
    how often is SMR within 15% of actual prices?
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    I think the tag is a bit high. The Lambert SMR is way low.

As Tanzanite said, the last 10 went about $900 a year ago, and the HOF rc registry has gotten a lot more popular since then. I wouldn't be surprised to see the next Lambert go for about $1400.

But I digress, back to the Griese. I have no problem with this cert prefix or any other. I think the card looks great, t/b is a little o/c but hardly even 60/40.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions