Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Type Collectors -- Are You Ready For The New Sets??

There were several composition tweaks, either adding coins, narrowing dates, etc.. Have you made the changes necesary for the arena you will compete in?

I snagged a 1994 SMS Jefferson nickel in MS-69FS and bought a 1979-S SBA in MS-66 last week so that I could play in the With Varieties 1900-1999 MS Only Set, and went ahead and bought a 1999 State Quarter Silver Proof so that I could register my 20th Century Major Types Combined Set as 100%. Then, over the weekend, I went ahead and removed my 2000 and 2001 dated coins and put in the certificate numbers for the pre-2000 coins that needed to be changed.

Keith
Keith ™

Comments

• Options
    keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    Oh yeah, also secured my first upgrade based on the new point system. Bought a Type 3 SLQ in 65FH that gets me 20 more points in the WIth Variety set and 12 more points in the Major Set.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    Wow, excellent work on that SLQ! My T2 SLQ isn't full head. I was thinking I would take a 1 point penalty, but realize it is a 2 point hit. Oh well. My T3 is 64 FH and my T1 is FH also.

I bought a Silver Quarter and also bought Cosmic's '94 SMS Jeff (thanks Bill). I will need more types of SBAs and the AH Kennedy if I understand things correctly. That is in the 20'th PR/MS with varieties set. I think we need to come up with some nicknames that are short but accurately describe which type set we are talking about image
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Keith:

I'm so excited about the new lineups that I'm almost wetting my pants. When will we start to see them emerging? BTW, do we know yet whether the narrow rim SBA in the 20th Century Combined set can be satisfied with a 79 proof? Don't own a cs or proof 79 SBA yet, but would rather buy the proof.

Greg
  • Options
    Carl,

SLQ doesn't have the sharpest strike, but has slightly better shield rivet detail than many I have seen. The two bad rivets have a little detail based on the scan my dealer sent me, so I think that I will be happy with it. I had a MS-62 No Head in that slot, with no rivet detail in the traditionally weak area. I'll try to link a scan in a minute.

Greg,

I don't know if the 1979 proof will satisfy that slot. BJ said on another thread that the new sets are in progress and that she expects to be done by Wednesday, but that we will be able to see the changes as they occur. So if she gets done with one area sooner, the set will be ready to go.

Keith

Keith ™

• Options
    Obverse

Reverse

Photos a little large since I don';t have access to an image editor here at work. Can't wait to get this one in hand.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    Nice SLQ Keith very nice.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keith- That is one fine Standing Liberty! IWOG would be going nuts over that coin (and, rightfully so!).

peacockcoins

• Options
    Very nice! I like the look. The strike seems nice too, I can almost see her wiggle her toes. That is a worthwhile upgrade for sure.
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    I'm ready for the changes. Got my finger on the "DELETE" button as we speak. image

That SLQ is a beauty Keith!

Matt
    Matt
  • Options
    OK, MS Modern 1950-present is weighted and ready to go. Too bad I retired the thing before I knew they were going to add four more coins image

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Wow, They updated and I'm on page 1! Got to get those four new coins in soon!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Keith, will you be returning to the 1950-Present CS set?

p.s. I have 3 of my additional coins in hand, one just purchased. Grades are
    Cent 66RD
    Dime 67
    Quarter 66
    Half 66FBL
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Brian,

Will not be reactivating my 1950-present set and will just let it fade off the page. Some of the best coins in that set have now been placed in other sets competing in the category, and most went on E-Bay to fund those gold purchases for the 20th Century Set.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Very nice FH quarter. I still think that FH's are a little overrated though. The MS-65 is what I like, great luster!

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice quarter, Keith. Exact same date and grade as mine. Little bit nicer luster, though.

Speaking of "delete" buttons, my 1900-Present set just went the way of the dinosaurs. Poof.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Quarter arrived today. Just as shiny as if it had been minted yesterday, except for a wee bit of toning. Top half of the reverse is coated with a real light gold and a little bit dusted on the obverse peripheries. Can see it better in the scan that will go in the set. All rivets are present, except the two below the sash are very muddy and the two between the E and R on Liberty are weaker than the remainder. Now if they can just get those 20th Century sets back online, I'll be ready to go.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    I couldn't resist putting this in... I wanna compare SLQ's with Keith.

They're both really nice, but I suspect his has the luster...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Now that I am home, my personal scan for show and tell. image

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    Oh yeah. You've got yourself a winner, there. image

Psst- what did you pay for her, if you don't mind my asking? (You can PM me if you don't wanna make it public). Mine set me back $550, about a year ago... maybe a little longer...

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    Carl

did you need SBA varities? let me know....i have a bunch of sba's floating, mainly proofs
    and Im sure theres a few type ones.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill