Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question???

After seeing Troy Aikman this past weekend at the HOF, I was inspired to dig through some old boxes of "stuff" to find any forgotten treasures. I found alot of old Aikman magazines and an autographed media picture of him that I had forgotten that I had...pretty cool. Anyways, I found a box of about 20 vhs tapes of all of the Cowboys playoff and Superbowl games from the Troy era. Is there a way to transfer the vhs tapes to dvd? Is their a machine that does it? I am technologically inept, so I don't know..any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    BigDaddy,

I had the same question six months back. Do a search on google for VHS to DVD copying. There are many companies that do it. We ended up paying about $5 each for about 20 of them. We found a local guy advertising on craigslist.com

Jeff
  • Options
    You can pick up a DVD burner (it will also double as your DVD player) at any electronics store. Simply plug your VCR cables into the proper jacks in the burner, select your input as the VCR, play the tape, and hit "record" on the burner. Make sure you buy the right Recordable DVD's (+R, -R) for your burner.
  • Options
    Just buy a side-by-side VHS to DVD recorder

here's one at Amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FSTL7A/

You can probably find cheaper ones at Costco too
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigD

I have a mess of VHS tapes that I'm debating whether I want to convert them or not - I guess I'm considering what the quality would be like?

Also, have ya got a scan of the auto'ed pic?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Stone
    I had totally forgotten that I had this. My brother was at a family reunion on his wife's side. He was talking to one of her distant relatives, when he noticed a Cowboys superbowl ring! That struck up a conversation about his brother who loves the Cowboys. The guy was a "bigwig" in the front office...the director of player personnel I believe. He asked my brother for my address, and out of the blue a few months later I got a package in the mail with a Cowboy media guide, this autographed Aikman pic (5x7), a team picture, a picture of the cheerleaders, and another cool item...a thick bio of Roy Williams stats from College..I believe it was the scouting report on him from when they drafted him. It has a breakdown of all of his college games and stats.pretty cool.

Here is the Aikamn aotographed...not a bad freebie

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool item and you're lucky!

BTW, I just found an item like that also - it's my son's poster - it's signed by Shaq - my sister-in-law went to his dad's house when they lived in San Antonio and Shaq was playing in town - she brought a few posters for him to sign. So, I know for sure it's the real deal.

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Thats Shaq find is great! Nothing like knowing that the graph is legit for sure.
  • Options
    Just an fyi - the tapes I converted to DVDs ('88, '89 Lakers Championship games, Nicklaus 86 Masters win, stuff I taped years ago) came out fine as far as picture quality on the DVDs. They even look good widescreen. Some of the more recent tapes (kids, vacations etc.) actually look better on the DVDs. One suggestion - clean the heads on the VCR before you burn to DVDs.

Another tip - you'll get a higher quality picture on the DVD choosing the shortest recording time; e.g. if you have a one hour tape, set the burner for one hour recording. You can also burn multiple tapes onto one DVD if you want.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭
    Generally, how much VHS time can you get onto one DVD?
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    2 hours at SP quality (DVD SP quality that is).

<< <i>Generally, how much VHS time can you get onto one DVD? >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    I bought a burner exactly for this purpose. I now have 75-100 games/sports shows on DVD. I was also able to copy my Ken Burns Baseball from VHS to DVD.

If you are going to buy a burner, spend the extra and get a good one! The first one I bought was a $260 Pioneer and it works great. Since then I have bought 2 cheap Wal Mart specials, and neither one have worked.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    If you get a regular dvd recorder you can plug in your vcr and record like the old days when you made a cassette tape of a vinyl record. If you do that, get an S cable instead of using patch cords, quality is much better, and it's a good idea to clean the heads every couple tapes.

You make a lot of friends when people find out you can do that. I've been dubbing family videos for months now.
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    I concur with getting a side by side DVD/VHS machine. Stick to quality though - JVC, Toshiba, Panasonic, Sony...they all have neat little electronics that will even enhance your video a bit. Keep the recording to 1 or 2 hour mode. Only use 1 hour mode if the quality of your tape is REALLY good (by that I mean the picture) otherwise it's just wasted space.

It really is as easy as putting in a blank DVD and your tape and pressing a button.

I tried several and am really happy with my Toshiba VR3.