Home Sports Talk
Options

MLB Trade Deadline

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know there are plenty of dream trades that fans would love to see...but what do some of you think are some trades that WILL be made? Who will really move on? Is Smoltz going anywhere (I think not), will the Red Sox get a bat or a pitcher (or nothing at all), what does your crystal ball say?

Comments

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I've heard:

Soriano to Detroit for Humberto Sanchez (?) and another prospect...

Abreu will probably stay put

Reggie Sanders to the Yankees

Smoltz may stay since they are miraculously back in the Wild Card race
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Soriano to Seattle, Abreu to Detroit, Smoltz stays, Lugo to a NL team, Wickman to Houston, Sanders to Yankees, McCarthy somewhere for a CF
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    I agree GS. I think the Braves will, if not be buyers, then they will hang tight and run with what they got. Unless they absolutely fall apart in the next week and a half I don't think they will unload anyone.
    Travis
  • Options
    Oh, by the way; Everyone needs to trade their best prospects to KC. We have some veteran leadership that would be great for your team's playoff run, so bid early and bid often.

Sorry, I got a little EBay in my post.
    Travis
  • Options
    With his agent saying that whatever team acquires him will have to pick up his $16 million option (or thereabouts), I can't see Abreu going anywhere. I wouldn't think it would be worth it.

If I were to bet, I would say Soriano ends up in Motown or with the Yankees.

Tom Gordon to the Mets.

Paul Byrd (or someone similar Scott Elarton, Mark Redmon) to the Jays.
  • Options
    I think Reggie Sanders to the Yankees would be a very good pickup for that team I hate so much. Plenty of experience that would certainly help in the run for the playoffs. I hope he goes elsewhere, but think you guys may be right.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Rumors circulating that Tejada comes to Houston for 4 players, including SS Everett and Lidge.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Rumors circulating that Tejada comes to Houston for 4 players, including SS Everett and Lidge. >>

why would Baltimore want Lidge when they have Chris Ray (23 saves, one blown save)
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options

<< <i>why would Baltimore want Lidge when they have Chris Ray (23 saves, one blown save) >>

No idea why, just reporting what they are saying down here.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>
    why would Baltimore want Lidge when they have Chris Ray (23 saves, one blown save) >>

And why would Baltimore want a guy who's obviously not recovered from getting blasted by Pujols?

Seems like a pipe dream.
  • Options

<< <i>I've heard:

Soriano to Detroit for Humberto Sanchez (?) and another prospect...

Abreu will probably stay put

Reggie Sanders to the Yankees

Smoltz may stay since they are miraculously back in the Wild Card race >>

Humberto Sanchez, do not know too much about him as of yet, but I hear his name on the radio often, and he is supposed to be the next Tigers pitcher to come up and dominate, essentially, he is the hottest pitching prospect in the minors for the Tigers. I heard another rumor the other day, again it is a rumor, but Soriano for Verlander or Zumaya, and Ozzie Guillen even mentioned something about it after tonight's game. The one thing I dread is the Tigers getting rid of young talent that is sure to succeed, to get someone who will only be here for a couple years. If they do a trade for an Abreu or Soriano, I sure hope they lock them up for a few years, but I do NOT want to see Verlander or Zumaya traded, there is too much to lose in both. I would not mind either Soriano or Abreu, but my feeling is Abreu is coming to Detroit, even think we can get him for less than Soriano. It remains to be seen!!!
  • Options
    Reggie Sanders to the Yanks has been discussed locally for about 3 weeks now.....the Yanks, supposedly, are not offering enough in talent terms.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    It seems like every year the trades that are rumoured to be in the works never happen, and some do that were not on anyones radar.
    I think the only thing that is safe right now is that Shea Hildebrand will be traded in the next 10 days. Other than that we'll just have to wait and see.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Any chance Alex Rodriguez gets traded? Seems NY fans are tough on him.
  • Options

<< <i>Any chance Alex Rodriguez gets traded? Seems NY fans are tough on him. >>

A-Rod, for Miner and Thames.........gets my thumb's up! If they hate him so bad, then they do not deserve him!

Detroit fans would love his bat in the lineup!!!!!!!
  • Options
    would Detroit (or any other team) be willing to eat his contract?
  • Options
    I think Texas still pays part of his contract, if I am not mistaken, think it would go the same if he was ever traded, and it is only for another 4 1/2 years. If the Tigers can keep playing well, the seats will get filled, and they can afford it!
  • Options

<< <i>and it is only for another 4 1/2 years >>

Yeah, it's only another $100M+ image
  • Options

<< <i>

Yeah, it's only another $100M+ image >>

I think Illitch can afford it, the Red Wings and Little Caesars, he makes money, and he would spend cash to win, and A-Rod would cause the seats to be filled every game, to myself, it is a win/win proposition!!!!
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I dont want the Yanks to get Sanders or anyone else if it means giving up prospects. Leave things as they are and see how the chips fall.

The Yankees best pickups will be that of Matsui, Sheffield, Cano, and Dotel coming off the DL, not someone brought it from another club.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>I dont want the Yanks to get Sanders or anyone else if it means giving up prospects. Leave things as they are and see how the chips fall. >>

I agree with you - it would also to be nice to get something from Pavano in september...
  • Options

<< <i>The Yankees best pickups will be that of Matsui, Sheffield, Cano, and Dotel coming off the DL, not someone brought it from another club. >>

When are they supposed to come back? Seeing Matsui's fall still gives me the heebe-jeebies image
  • Options

<< <i>

And he's worth every penny of that 100 million.

Too bad the dopes in NY can't appreciate seeing one of the best players ever.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

And he's worth every penny of that 100 million.

Too bad the dopes in NY can't appreciate seeing one of the best players ever. >>

$25M for a .284 hitter? Yup, so worth it. While my photoshopping skills stink, this still remains to be true..

• Options
    The thing is, he's NOT a .284 hitter.

Why don't you look at his career stats, instead of a one year aberration?

If baseball worked like YOU think it should, Brady Anderson should have been paid like a guy who hits 50 home runs every year the year after he hit 50. Right?

The thing is you can't justify a guy's contract on one year - that is, unless you're a short sighted fool.

Oh wait, you are. Nevermind.
  • Options
    Looks like the Braves are buying. Picked up Bob Wickman from Cleveland for minor leaguer Max Ramirez.
    Travis