Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT - EBAY Problem

I have been an ebay member for many years.

Now when I try to login I get a page asking for a lot of personal info, such as Name, SSN, CC Nbr, Bank Account Nbr, etc.

This is not an email but a web page.

This concerns me a lot.

Has anyone had this happen to you recently??

Does anyone have a customer support telephone number??

Thanks,
Larry

Comments

• Options
    That does not sound like an ebay page. Put the mouse down and back carefully away from the computer.
  • Options
    I just logged into ebay and it looks the same as usual, what is the address displayed in the upper bar of your browser?

Dr J
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    1-800-322-9266
    1-888-749-3229
    1-877-438-3229 (California only)
    1-408-558-7400
    Hours 7:30 AM 5:30 PM PT M-F

Ebay main telephone #

408 376 7400
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    If i were you i would run a spyware scan........ Sound's like you have a Trojan-Hijacker in your puter....... Run your Antivirus program and see if it's found? I'm trying to remember if you type MSCONFIG or Regedit? Never give any info....... After that, Type http://www.ebay.com and it should take you to the secure signin page, Make sure that the secure signin start's with https://www.ebay.com/, I had this happen awhile back when i tried to signin and noticed that the address was something like http://www2.ebay.com/ I was lucky enough to catch it before i signed in, I ran my spyware program and found i had a trojan-hitchiker, and it removed it. But i had to go into msconfig or regedit and make sure it wasn't embedded so that when i rebooted my puter it didn't reload it again. You might try writing down the address that it is directing you to, and send it to, spoof@ebay.com and notify them, They might be able to track the address down and stop the scammer.

There is so much dishonesty in cyberspace, Why don't these arseholes get a real freaking job........image
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Do NOT type anything in there.

Ebay does not EVER ask for Social Security numbers or bank account numbers when you login.

You were probably redirected to a fake login page (in which case the hackers already have your Ebay login and password since you logged in).

How did you get there? (Link in email, viewing an auction, browser bookmark)?

There are cases now where by simply viewing an Ebay auction where the seller has maliciously inserted JavaScript, you can be redirected to a phony Ebay login page. See the post I made with pictures here.
  • Options
    RickeRicke Posts: 677
    My guess is that you have some sort of hijacker, that is redirecting your internet activity to dangerous sites.

I would either upgrade your current antivirus software, or I would take your hard drive in to be looked at by an expert - particularly if you do any amount of internet commerce activity.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for you help.

I have ran my Norton program and got no hits.

I have tried all the telephone numbers that 'relayer' gave and cannot get to a real person.
    They keep sending me to General Support. It says to click on the "Live Help" on the home page.
    That page says that it is no longer available. Then I lose the telephone connection.

The operaters are of NO help (just, how can I direct your call, and no matter what I say, they send me to General Support again).

I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks again,
    Larry

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like it might be browser hi-jacking. Run Ad-Aware or Spybot Search and Destroy (check www.download.com for free trials) to clean it up.

I would recommend running Spybot or Ad-Aware once a month at least to get rid of spyware/tracking cookies.

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the other guys are spot-on with the symptoms.

One bit of advice thus far left unsaid: Get a browser other than Microsoft's Internet Explorer. Two popular alternatives are Firefox and Opera. Either one will do everything MS IE does, but these alternatives are very rarely vulnerable to the typical viruses/trojans/etc out there. Even if you don't make a permanent switch to another browser it is good to have one on your computer to use until you get whatever malware problems fixed.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭
    I second the vote for ad-aware. It is free and made by lavasoft.

Ad-Aware

The number of things it picks up can be eye-opening.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like the other guys are spot-on with the symptoms.

One bit of advice thus far left unsaid: Get a browser other than Microsoft's Internet Explorer. Two popular alternatives are Firefox and Opera. Either one will do everything MS IE does, but these alternatives are very rarely vulnerable to the typical viruses/trojans/etc out there. Even if you don't make a permanent switch to another browser it is good to have one on your computer to use until you get whatever malware problems fixed. >>

Seconded.

I haven't used Internet Explorer in years, unless I'm testing compatibility of web sites I'm developing.

FireFox is teh w00t!
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    Anti-spyware and virus scans likely won't help, you're a pharming victim. Check your local hosts file and clear the name resolution cache. If afterwards you're still being sent to wrong site then most likely your ISP's DNS server was compromised during a zone transfer.

• Options
    Downloaded Ad-Aware, ran, found 19 critial modules, but it said none needed to be removed. Dont Know why.

Decided to try a System Restore. Now everything is OK.image

Was able to sign in and did a BIN of this:

1996 Netherlands 20 EURO Proof - Barentz - with small polar bear

I had ony seen this one in a 5 EURO MS or 50 EURO Proof.
    The 50 EURO is quite a bit more expensive than this 20 EURO. Same design.

Thanks again for all the help from everyone. You are the greatest.
    Larry

• Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    BTW, for future reference, -- was running Linux before so excuse previous lack of detail -- the Windows "hosts" file is in c:windowssystem32driversetc directory. And the way to clear name cache in Windows is by issuing the command "ipconfig /flushdns" at a command prompt, without the quotes.

Pharming makes browser hijacking look like child's play. image