Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

MILE HIGH-how did anyone do

For the first time I consigned to a major auction house. They did not charge me a sellers fee. I was hoping to get 4500-5000 for my stuff and it sold for 7500.

Mile High I LOVE YOU image

FJM

Comments

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Show us the links if your willing!
  • Options
    dunerduner Posts: 625
    I'll tell you what...there's one niche left in the sports auction business....non-baseball! Czar, I'm assuming your sales were baseball related, because it sure seems like those bring the highest premiums as compared to ebay, and I think a lot of that has to do with the quality of the offering. I can't remember the last auction that had a nice assortment of football items, this was also the sparcest offering i've ever seen from milehigh in that category. I think that also hurts the bottom line, because I'm sure there are others like me, that just give these auctions a passing glance, because we know there's likely not going to be that much to choose from.

I realize there's far less basketball and football out there, but if a major company did a single auction once a year that was solely related to one genre....I guarantee it would be huge. Especially after a couple of years...because everyone would begin submitting their items to that one auction, and all the buyers would go crazy knowing it would be 12 more months until the next auction took place.
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    congrats on the good news czar
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I was lucky enough to walk away with the 1911 T5 Pinkerton Joe Jackson...image

That's a lot of coin
  • Options
    who won the '81 montana holsum disc? how muchy?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    way to go Czar, beyond expectations, can't beat that! JG
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>who won the '81 montana holsum disc? how muchy? >>

$260-
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    The diffficult part was that I orginally consigned them to Superior for their March Auction. Superior got rid of their card auctions two weeks prior to the schedule date and pulled the plug. They sent my cards back with no problem and Keith Smith from Superior suggested Mile High. I had to wait 2+ months for their auction. All is well that ends well and that will be when I get the check.

Here are the links for those interested.

1967 Chico Cardenas

Hello Larry

Very Mildly disappointed in this one

Cha-Ching! another semester of private high school for my kid on this one. Was hoping for $4000-$4500. Three bids came in after auction had its' first close
  • Options
    $260 image
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    Nice going, Czar. If you don't mind me asking, how did you assemble the '86-87 Fleer set? Did you grade raw yourself or buy them in PSA 9 and 10?

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    I sold items #71 and #72. Both went lower than I had hoped for.... was hoping for atleast 2000-2500 on the pair. MileHigh thought the Ruth could get 3000. Oh well....

-Kyle-
  • Options
    i feel a rant coming on...

don't you think you could have got a better price with a well-timed, smart auction on ebay? i'm sorry... it just seems to me like why sell something to a very limited (granted wealthy) group of buyers, when you could expose that item to MILLIONS OF BUYERS ALL OVER THE WORLD including those very same wealthy buyers.. also, it probably would have ended up going to the exact same person that bought it, they just would have just paid a lot more for it..

for example, if that msa disc was on ebay, there is no way in hell it would have sold for just $260.. i personally would not have allowed that to happen.. you could have put it on ebay STARTING at $500 and sold it.. i'm stunned it went for $260.. i was willing to give the seller $400 for it directly, weeks ago.. it's mind boggling.. consigning stuff on ebay with a good seller brings much better prices, at least on football... and that is all i have to say about that....

with apologies to forrest gump

edited to add: wanna know who really cleaned up in that mile high auction????? MILE HIGH!
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    big hurt,
    it all started harmlessly with a joe dumars psa 10 purchase one night when i was bored on a impulse. i had done no research on pop counts and just went off of smr (VERY STUPID OF ME) i spent around $300 on it and i thought i got a good deal. (not really)

next thing i knew i was buying them here and there. my only rule is that i would not spend over $100 on any card. as you can imagine you won't be buying jordan, magic, bird, malone, barkley etc. etc. etc. for under $100. i had most of the high pops and the set seemed to be losing favor with buyers. i had 53 cards needed 79 and i just lost interest in it.

perhaps that the set was selling during the nba playoffs made it have a little more interest. i am very pleased with the way MH marketed all of my consignments.

i may be wrong but i feel there is still a lot of 1986 fleer Basketball in raw to be graded. as important as that set is with the Jordan rookie and the resurgance of fleer in 1986, it is still too new for the market. i think in 5 years it will come down in price on many of the cards.

FJM
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For the first time I consigned to a major auction house. They did not charge me a sellers fee. I was hoping to get 4500-5000 for my stuff and it sold for 7500.

FJM >>

FJM

Congratulations on your sale. That's great! I always wondered, if I needed some money, who would I send some stuff?

Nothing like exceeding your expection by 50%!!!!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I agree Mile High is the biggest winner of these auctions...but I also think consignors can do better with them and other catalog auctions than they may get on ebay. There are certain clientele that will not bother scouring ebay on a daily, weekly or even monthly basis. Most people on these forums probably check ebay daily, but we are not the norm. When others get the catalogs, they are exposed to every card. On ebay, they'd have to actively look for that particular card in order to find it.