Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Alright!!!! You British farthing types are starting to go . . . .

. . . . bonkers . . . .

Who's gonna buy the '44 QV ????? image

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    You mean the 94?

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    I've gone bonkers enough.

I recently bought these two British coins after some advice about price from fellow threaders.

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭
    The 1869 is £280!!! imageimageimage

That's > 2x Spink catalogue!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭✭
    300 now, I guess that some bidders get sentimental with their pedigree. Most of them do not convert in dollars either. image

The 1877s are at £4400 for the red brown bronze proof (image) and £3300 for the brown bronzed proof. The latter is an ex-Norweb, and yet he states that it's incorrectly described in Norweb and in Peck.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭
    Actually, my guess would be that 70-75% of all milled farthings are being bid by UK bidders (and will probably stay in the UK), and probably 90%+ UK bids will be successful on the pre-Charles II material.

I would think the pre-2002 days are gone and the current price guides still do not reflect the true gem market.......that's my 8 1/4d. anyway.imageimage
  • Options
    IlikeZARcoins now thats a pretty coin
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that's quite the collection. I wouldn't mind having some of the W&M stuff.
  • Options
    The 1869 is now at £340, with less than one day to go. image

That's the one I wanted, but I won't pay 3x Spink for it.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I've been watching the fractionals, and the ones I want are all out of my reach. image
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Prices are going crazY:

1877 RB Proof 5250 pounds
    1877 B Proof 4000 pounds

1869 375 pounds!

We should soon see what the final prices are.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>The 1869 is now at £340, with less than one day to go. image

That's the one I wanted, but I won't pay 3x Spink for it. >>

The 1869 is currently showing £400 image

I was bidding for awhile, but I know from the strike increments that 2-3 other bidders have driven this coin to £400. image

Welcome 7Jaguars!!image
  • Options
    I was bidding for awhile, but I know from the strike increments that 2-3 other bidders have driven this coin to £400.

So you're the culprit, eh? image

• Options
    Welcome to the forum, 7Jaguars! I remember that handle from many moons ago. Good to hear from you! image
  • Options

<< <i>I was bidding for awhile, but I know from the strike increments that 2-3 other bidders have driven this coin to £400.

So you're the culprit, eh? image

image >>

Way back down in the 200s.image

I threw the silly bid in at 310-ish and then it incremented several more times.... image

....c'est la vie, or as they say in Scotia, "I'm but a wee poor, poor church mouse."
  • Options
    Thanks, all. I was taken aback by some of the prices but also surprised at the number of C2 coins apparently unsold. Also, I was pleased with the copper Vicky large modulus bits as some were very nice and did not seem to go too high. Well, that would translate into me winning a few. The bunheads went for very high, esp. the 1869 already mentioned which wnet for what I would have thought was proof money for the date.

I agree with Wybrit that 2-3X Spink is too high for this piece but one could not fault its quality, and I can only imagine what a similar US bit might go for if a similar quality 1869 Indian Head cent were to sell.
  • Options
    Well, I was just notified that I was outbid again (by a mile) on one last lot I was pursuing (accent on "was"). The 1872 farthing is currently at £150!!! image

TRFMB
  • Options
    OK Mac, now you've gotten the price of the 1869 to £480 (and the bidding is still going). [Drumming fingers icon]

The "strange madness" is that the 1895 young head, considered one of the keys of the Bunhead series, has no bids and may be sold for £225. I guess it adds some fuel to my belief that its rarity is a myth, as I wrote in my website.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you know for sure when bidding ends? That was my problem when I was bidding in the Nicholson 1/2d sale. I keep bidding on his 1958 PF but kept getting outbid eventhough the 'alloted bidding time' expired.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    There is no time limit. The bidding ends when all bidders but one for a given coin cry "uncle" and stop. Some of these coins could be going for quite a while.

I might also point out that some if not many of the amounts posted are not anywhere close to being up to date.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> The bidding ends when all bidders but one for a given coin cry "uncle" and stop. >>

and if that bidder backs out? will bidding start anew? this type of 'auction' is not my cup of tea.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    and if that bidder backs out? will bidding start anew? this type of 'auction' is not my cup of tea.

It's more like a traditional auction, except for the time lag incurred from waiting for word from the underbidders. They will not close an auction until all underbidders have announced their intention to withdraw.
  • Options

<< <i>There is no time limit. The bidding ends when all bidders but one for a given coin cry "uncle" and stop. Some of these coins could be going for quite a while.

I might also point out that some if not many of the amounts posted are not anywhere close to being up to date. >>

Well, they should be bloody up-to-date.image

"Uncle"??? I'd rather look these bidders in the "EYE"....... to much time for ruminating. This is worse than chess by post.

My understanding is that only active bidders as of 5/26 2PM can still enter "outcry" bids. At least I've been prompt in crying "uncle".

1869 to £480 -- och, bloody hell. Indeed, the 1895 is overrated, IMO, but the 1869 would appear to be due for a large price upgrade in gem-full red lustre.image

• Options
    Yes, I agree with Mac (don't get mad at the informality). I think just this one coin - the '69 - along with perhaps the 1844 may start the ball rolling toward full red copper getting upgrades in prices.

Who knows, maybe the new (proposed?) grading service mentioned in Coin News will enter the fray.

Another coin that took off and left me in the dust was the 1852 which had gone to at least 325 in last checking.

This situation reminds me of that of a couple of years ago where a single bid on an 1875H currency penny of superior presentation opened eyes and gave a great push to the penny series and copper in general; a relatively minor scarcity/rarity may possibly push a new trend.
  • Options
    "RED COPPER"........image

Someday, maybe I'll at least get to see the 1870 Cheshire penny again. I saw to it the new owner paid $1350....so there!!!image

Seriously, I have yet to see a 'bun' 1d. of that vintage even remotely close to its quality for surfaces AND blinding RED colour.

Yes, it would be nice for a little better standardization with the grading and colour thingy.

Does this new outfit have a website yet?
  • Options
    To my knowledge there is no website yet but they supposedly have built a reference collection (or are perhaps in the process of doing so) and are to try and emulate PCGS. I have noticed many more slabbed coins up for sale in the UK.

I do hesitate to use the term "full red" when it comes to the Vicky bits and have visions of the numerous US pieces that have altered surfaces yet are still encapsulated by the major slabbers. Quite frankly I do not believe there are that many "unadulterated" coppers US, UK, or otherwise and am flabbergasted (sp?) to see so many MS65 Red 1909 SVDB cents in a Heritage auction as an example.

An 1870 penny for 1350? Ouch!!! Better him than me & have found this date with good surfaces and attractive examples to be more common than, for example, an 1868.