Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Weeehoooo Oil! - american fans with class drown out the ignorant.

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- San Jose Sharks fans were in a nasty mood Sunday night, loudly booing the Canadian national anthem before the start of Game 5 of the Western Conference semifinal.

The Sharks are playing the Edmonton Oilers.

Annemarie Martin had barely began singing O Canada when many in the sellout crowd of 17,496 began booing. The sound was so loud it nearly drowned out Martin.

As the song progressed the booing decreased and some Shark fans joined in singing the Canadian national anthem. image

Comments

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    The picture of the little kid with the tattoo on his hand made my day! Thanks!! image
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    As I recall it was the Canadians that started this classless booing when Raptor fans booed the Star Spangled Banner before a playoff game against the Pistons.

Nice to see that people may finally be getting over this, though. I usually don't have strong opinions on this kind of stuff, but booing someone else's anthem really is classless.
  • you'd like to think sports and politics shouldn't mix........but at the end of the day it's inevitable.......

• KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I hope Edmontonians at the game here on Wednesday will take the high road and not retaliate by booing the American anthem on Wednesday as it would be an embarrassment.
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    This is the kind of thing that can get blown out of proportion on many levels. I'm willing to bet that many of the people booing were probably "booing the boo'ers", which of course escalated the booing, which then prompted the attempted singing of Oh Canada to drown out the boo'ers. We in the US have only three ways of showing our displeasure at things - Booing, throwing things and shooting guns. Well, if you are rich and Republican you can probably also get a law passed for anything that bugs you even in the slightest, but thank goodness this incident only got to the first stage.

I for one don't think national anthems should be played at any sporting events. It's even more ridiculous in the NHL where there are so many non-US/Canadian players in the league. I don't even take my seat at Sharks games AFTER the anthem(s) have been sung. OK, it's pretty weak way to protest, I grant you that. And, lest ye Canadians forget, some of YOUR less than intelligent countrymen started this when they booed the SSB before a Habs-Islanders game in 2003 leading to the now infamous attempt to rename our favorite snack food/cause of death to "Freedom Fries". I've always preferred "pommes frites" but you can never seem to get those in the States.

Habs Fans Boo SSB

And, so we don't single out eastern/french Canadians here, there was that ugly incident in last year's World Juniors semi-final game last year in Vancouver, when some Candian "patriots" chanted "USA Sucks" to a bunch of 16-18 year old kids - and they weren't even playing against Canada! As if any of those kids give a hoot about timber tariffs or can do anything about it. That incident went largely unnoticed down here because 99.9% of the population has no clue what the World Junior Championship means while it's Page 1 stuff to Canadians/Russians/Finns/Swedes, etc. I can appreciate that.

Canadian Fans Book US Hockey Kids

Politically, I myself would boo the SSB given the sorry state of our country but even we Americans don't have the liberty of speaking our minds any more...Remember "...you're either with US, or against us..." A lot of people down here took him seriously.

Our President barely graduated college, our Vice President used to work for the largest contractor "rebuilding" Iraq (not even a bid or vote on that one...), Our Secretary of Defense has "little man syndrome" ("Shock and Awe" - yeah, that worked), and our Secretary of State can't speak a single sentence in public without saying "uh" and/or "um". I guess it's hard to think clearly when you are trying to keep all of the lies straight. That's the brain-trust running our country. (Oh-oh, that's probably going to land me on Bush's s**t list now!). We are an embarrassment to the entire world. We have a law that seems as if it allows the government to violate anyone's civil rights at their will, and it's called the "PATRIOT" Act.

And yes, I vote so I can complain all I want!

As for the San Jose booing of Oh Canada (a mighty fine anthem if there ever was one, I might add...), chalk it up to a Sunday game, a few idiots, and lots of beer being available outside the arena before the game, on an unseasonable hot day, and let's leave it at that. I wasn't there yet, so don't blame me, plus I don't drink. All it seemed to accomplish was to fire up the Oil and inspire them to kick our ass*s once again and THAT, my friends, is the best way to handle a thing like this. I was booing too, but it was for the poor play of the home team.

The people in the rest of the US think we Californians are a bunch of liberal loonies anyway. Our governor is a bloody actor, and yet he's an improvement over the guy we booted out of office in a recall vote!

I love the Vancouver/Victoria area and try to visit at least once every year. The last thing I need is to be strip searched at the border because of the Sharks sticker on my bumper. image
  • nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Booing the anthems really is nasty and rude, I thought only Montreal fans did that image

Seriously, all fans could take lessons in etiquette from Detroit fans, now they are a class act, very respectful, as everyone should be when they're singing the songs.

Of course most fans are courtious and respectful, and most arenas hush the noise for all anthems. It doesn't take many boo-ers to sound like everyone is booing.

Boopotts, you may be right about Canadians starting it, I don't know. One thing that I do know is that in the past Montreal and Vancouver fans are disrespectful in this regard and I'm sick of it. When Vancouver decided to boo junior star Jack Johnson for sixty minutes of play, I wanted to head down there and knock all their heads together and remind them that they're Boo-ing at a young kid, and they're making the rest of the country mad and uncomfortable, because he's just a kid that threw a stupid elbow.

Just shut up and listen to the fu@#in song image
    They say a picture is worth 1,000 words...

Crazy Oiler fan taunting the p|ssed off police dog with his ass as well at the police who have guns pointed directly at his ass?! (from Friday's Game 4 tiny riot)

• Philadelphia Fans booed the Canadian Anthem back in the seventies, during the hey day of The Broad Street Bullies. My wife is Canadian (I'm originally from Philadelphia) and we were dating at that time. The booing got her real upset and she gave me grief about that. In 1968 Santa got booed during an Eagles Game.
    30's R Want List:

R73 1933 Goudey Indian Gum - Series 288 - Nos. 118
    Also looking for 1953 Parkhurst & 1953 Quaker Oats Ripley's BION.

If you have any available for sale PM me

<< <i>In 1968 Santa got booed during an Eagles Game >>

Say it ain't so! image
  • Generally it isn't a good thing to piss off any dog, let alone a police dog. That "gun" they have pointed at that genius is a Specialty Impact Munitions (SIMs). They shot lots as things, but usually an impact round. While a gun is meant to kill, these things are for one thing, inflict pain and compliance. They are not pleasant, I might rather be shot with a real gun.

Hopefully he got the dog and a round.
    Always buying 1984 Ralston Purina PSA 9s and 10s I NEED 19,21, and 29!!!
  • Just wanted to pass on what I heard from our local sports radio station in the San Jose area(680 KNBR).

Supposedly(based on a few callers of the radio station), folks who tuned into game#4 on the local fox sportsnet heard booing when the American national athem was being played. The Canadian fans were actually booing during the anthem because of a pic of Joe Thornton was displayed on stadium jumbotron. Therefore for game#5 the sharks fans retaliated by booing the Canadian national anthem. The irony is several of the sharks stars are in fact Canadian(cheechoo, marleau, thornton). go figure.
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>In 1968 Santa got booed during an Eagles Game >>

Say it ain't so! image >>

Here we go again...the short version of the story is this. The guy who was supposed to play Santa didn't show. They stuck some skinny dude in the suit and he looked hokey. The fans saw the obviously poor interpretation of St. Nick and booed.

Yes, we booed the Canadian anthem, hell we'll boo our own and all of the players if it generates some motivation.

Knucks, I would think your babes could show some more skin, what with travelling to warm Cali from Alberta. What is that a flag? image

• yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The irony is several of the sharks stars are in fact Canadian(cheechoo, marleau, thornton). go figure. >>

That's the part that gets me. Besides, Oh Canada is way too good of anthem to boo.

Knuckles, thank me for turning the tide of this series. The Oilers have won three straight since I pronounced the Sharks the eventual Cup champs. Though I may have just again altered the course of series by writing that - no just by thinking it.

And nice rant, Moose!
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    Good Day-EH with this topic

Yawie - thanks, I feel much better now...

I'll feel even better with a Sharks win tomorrow!

<< <i>Knucks, I would think your babes could show some more skin, what with travelling to warm Cali from Alberta. What is that a flag? >>

Well it's supposed to be 30°C here today and tomorrow (that's 86 degrees fahrenheit) imagewww.bluemile.ca for lesser clothes girls.
    It's incredible how superstitious people have been here.. I have two friends who won't shave.. my mom won't watch the game as she thinks it's a jinx.. one of my clients closes his eyes tight when San Jose is on the attack and swears they will score if he watches.. the waitress at the bar for the last game was wearing her shirt inside out and backwards telling us that she mistakenly wore the same shirt that way in the first blow out win over the sharks so she's doing it for now on..

I think I jinxed Fernando Pisani earlier.. I bought his jersey (the one he wore through the middle of the season) from meigray.com he was on fire before I bought it then as soon as I sold it he started playing great again and has had a outstanding playoffs.. I pre-ordered Jarret Stolls away jersey just days ago which he's wearing right now. Hopefully I don't screw him over. image