Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What software do you use to keep up with your inventory/collection?

I have cards, programs, wire photos, books and newspapers. Now (gulp) I want to catalogue my collection to include storing pics of each item. What is every-one using? TIA...

Comments

• That is what I want to know also.I need to get my all organized.I just want to be able type the card in and it says I have it or not.Instead of looking threw about 100,000 cards or so.
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Great question....I'd be interested also.....Obviously some of my collection is kept track via the Set Registry but what to do with everything else....
  • FWIW, I'm thinking about using this one.
    I'm not very computer literate so I don't know if it's good.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/333804

• EXCEL works great!
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excel does work great. If you know how to use it properly!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• I use Excel spreadsheets... I name each sheet with a tab at the bottom with the name of the set. Then, I put columns on each sheet like: Player Name Card # Cent R/L Cent T/B Purch Date Orig $ Curr Value Net G/L % G/L. Of course, the player cards go on the rows. Also, it's good for tracking cards you bought and then sold... Year Player Name Card # Cond P Date Orig $ Sale Price % G/L Net G/L.

The great thing about Excel is you can use the formulas to do all the math for you and then you can have a grand totals sheet that adds up the totals for each set and it gives you a total $ value of your collection. Again, I never have to do any math as that is all done by the formulas for the cells that I created initially. I have 18 tabs with thousands of entrys and the whole file is only 534 kb. Excel is a great program IMO.
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • I don't know anything about excel, but I will go ahead and ask.... can you search your excel spreadsheet?
  • yes... "Edit", then "Find"
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • thanks..btw would you mind checking out my link .. http://www.tucows.com/preview/333804 .....and at your leisure, tell me what you think...
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I am in the process of doing the same, so I have decided to use excel.

Its on my computer right now, so I don't need to spend any money. There are software out there specifically for baseball card collection, but they all have some sort of draw back. At least with Excel, you can create the spread sheets to serve your purpose.

Save your money and just use the Excel program on your computer. My 2 cents.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Yeah this is something I need to start doing. Really my only organization at this point is....
    Graded in one area
    Toploaders in another
    Team bags/soft cases in another
    loose/cardboard boxed

Eh, I have Excel so I think I just figured out what to do for the next lil while.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    I use MS Excel too, which is pretty handy once you get organized.
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    I also use Excel to track my collection and wantlist. I don't do it, but you can insert hyperlinks into Excel that point at card pictures (either on your desktop or on the Web).
  • CardPricer.com will be going live shortly (not sure of date yet)...which will allow you to manage your collection properly... there will be some importing tools available as well (at some point) so for all of you who have organized your collections in excel, you can get it into the program.

Patience is a virtue ... we're working on it though.
    http://www.cardpricer.com - More transactions than any site on the web!

Contact Us:
    info@cardpricer.com
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    For those who have been using Excel for their collections, assuming you have a basic knowledge of excel how long would it take to set up info for a collection ? Just as an example, say I had approx. 2,000 graded cards, 100 raw sets, another 1000 raw singles, and some misc boxes and other items. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>I also use Excel to track my collection and wantlist. I don't do it, but you can insert hyperlinks into Excel that point at card pictures (either on your desktop or on the Web). >>

Bob! It's amazing you shared this. Just earlier this year I started cataloging my Puckett and '62 Topps collections in Excel. This thread got me thinking about inserting pictures, which you can do, but (just moments ago!) I played with inserting the hyperlink thing -- and it works PERFECTLY!! I'll have to try the URL link. That way I can keep the pictures on Photobucket instead of my harddrive...

This is a great way to share knowledge. Thanks!

hh
  • I've been slowly working on an Access Database program to organize my collection. It is more difficult and involved than I originally thought but the finished product should be nice. I hope! image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets

• << <i>I have cards, programs, wire photos, books and newspapers. Now (gulp) I want to catalogue my collection to include storing pics of each item. What is every-one using? TIA... >>

I haven't seen any software yet that includes programs, wire photos, books and newspapers. I've only seen programs for cards. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Admitting I don't know excel, I'm thinking that if you can make a spreadsheet for cards...the same would be true for any grouping. Columns (descriptors??) would be different, but basically what I want is....... item....condition....price paid....BV...........image