Home Sports Talk
Options

Reggie Jackson

jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
Just throwing it out there but I think he was overrated jerk. He was funny in the naked gun though.

Comments

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was a Dodgers fan in the 70s so I used to hate him when he played. He was hyped, but, for the most part, he backed it up. I still vividly remember that 3 homer WS game in 1977!!

Actually now he seems to be a pretty cool guy and a decent person.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Isn't he the all time leader in strikeouts?

edit: just looked it up, and wow, he's #1 by over 400 over Sosa, nearly 2600 career K's, averaging 149 / 162 games...mighty impressive.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just throwing it out there but I think he was overrated jerk. He was funny in the naked gun though. >>

As with all questions of who is or isn't overrated, it depends on where you rate him and where you believe others rate him. Bill James rates him as the seventh best right fielder in history (sandwiched below Rose and Gwynn and above Clemente and Waner). That strkes me as about right, but if you wanted to drop him a spot or two it wouldn't be ridiculous. If you want to drop him out of the top 10, then you are being ridiculous.

The Mr. October stuff is a bit much, I agree, but since people almost always underrate his regular season hitting (usually because of a batting average fetish) I think it probably balances out fairly well.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Of course he was overrated, he played for the Yankees so he must be.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't Yogi Berra have more Hr's in the playoffs than anybody?
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Of course he was overrated, he played for the Yankees so he must be. >>

I think Guidry was overrated in 1978. He lost 3 whole games for cryin' out loud!!
  • Options
    fab4fab4 Posts: 280 ✭✭
    best part about reggie is he is barry bonds cousin.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Didn't Yogi Berra have more Hr's in the playoffs than anybody? >>

Bernie Williams holds that distinction, with 22, more so for his 541 plate appearances than anything else.

Manny is second at 20 in 360 plate appearances.

Reggie and Mantle third, with 318 and 273 plate appearances, respectively.

Thome, 17 and 216 PAs.
    Jeter, 16 and 528 PAs.
    Ruth, 15 in 167.
    Justice, 14, 471.
    Chipper Jones, 13 and 412.
    Yogi, 12 and 295.

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Bogus stat. If any statistic in baseball should receive an asterisk or be amended it should be the post season HR's, hits, etc. There should be distinct stats for pre divisional play, pre wild card play, etc. I dont think there is anyone ( Yankee fans included ) who actually put any merit in Bernie Williams post season records when compared to the likes of Mantle or Berra who did what they did strictly in world series play.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Happy 66th birthday Reggie. In 1946 the U.S. population was 150 million. That 150 million created 3.3 million babies. 9000 babies born every day in 1946.
  • Options
    Happy birthday Reggie!