Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Can anyone help with my first set registry? 1970 Topps

I am working on my first set registry; 1970 Topps - basic. I picked up a small bulk purchase of 1970 Topps cards (about 125) and decided to work on completing the set. 115 of the cards are PSA 8 and 10 cards are PSA 9. I have most of the stars, but need bulk commons in PSA 8 or maybe 9. I must admit, I have some anxious nervousness that I might be getting in over my head with the cost, especially since I just closed on my first house this past December. I've been scanning E-Bay for some cards and won a couple auctions but I'm debating if all those shipping costs are going to make it worth my while. The best part of my purchase was most of the cards I bought are the high numbers, so I've got about 75% of those covered. As you can see by my low number of postings, I'm new to this site as well, so I'll check back often to see if there are any replies. Thanks for your interest and anything that we can work out together. Mike

PS:
I am missing the following star cards:
Munson
Kaline

I have the following in PSA 7 and want to upgrade to PSA 8
Jackson
Clemente
Mays
Bench
F. Robinson

If you have any basic advice for the novice of set registry, please advise. Also know, if I could do this all at once, I would. The wife will put me in the guillotine if I get carried away, so I have to be patient with what I pick up. If you are married, you just might know what I mean. image

Comments

• Options
    Welcome Mike! One word will see u through all of this......patience. You will have dry spells here & there & you may think is it all worth it? Then you may think, I will just sell them or stop all together. Don't do neither if you can help it. Because once they are gone, I promise you will be playing the coulda, woulda, shoulda game. I started a PSA 9 only 1975 set & had 150 cards with MANY low pops, got frustrated & sold them & now I wish I had them back to start up again. I am sure other members can tell you other stories of sets they have started to build, became frustrated & then want to start over.

Either way, welcome & good luck in your pursuit of your set.

Ted
    Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    Divorce that demon woman! Either that, or start calling her "mom".
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Set a target for how much you want to spend (i.e. - 80% of SMR) to complete the set and live within it.

Also there is a nice 1970 topps set ending tonight on ebay - PSA 8 stars and probably many gradable commons and semi's from a reputable seller - price is low so far:

Nice ebay 1970 set
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    rbeatonrbeaton Posts: 631
    WeekendHacker,

Please email me at: rbeaton@islinc.com as I've got a bunch of cards you may need.

Thanks,
    Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options
    Hi, I'm a NonSports Guy working on one of the classics - 1938 Horrors of War. When I started i, I planned on it being a 5 Year project. One and a half years later I'm at 40% complete with 3 of the 6 Key cards included. My only advice is patience and persistence. Just keep pluging away and measure your progress in small percentage steps. Wish you the best of luck.
    30's R Want List:

R73 1933 Goudey Indian Gum - Series 288 - Nos. 118
    Also looking for 1953 Parkhurst & 1953 Quaker Oats Ripley's BION.

If you have any available for sale PM me
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    weekend,
    i have a handful of 8's and some 9's i'm willing to part with. turn on your PM or send me your email addy to LDFerguson@bwsc.net

thanks and good luck in your qwest.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    I have several hundred 8s and a handful of 9s listed with scans on my website http://www.southfloridasportscards.com.
    View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    thesplendidsplinter - thanks for the insight. I doubt I will liquidate what I have; I've put too much time and effort into this already. Thanks for the best wishes in pursuit of my first set.

Bosox 1976 - I've been trying to limit my SMR on the purchase, it's tough though. I bid over $130.00 for a $10.00 common with a pop 7 in PSA 8 (24 total graded) and was out-bid at the last minute on ebay. I hope not to go overboard, but it might be tough. I did however pick-up the Jackson (PSA-8) for about $80.00 on ebay. I am going to need to be really patient.

rbeaton - I will get in touch with you soon. Looking forward to doing business with you.

WarHound - Thanks for the luck, it must be tough finding the cards for your set, I'm sure they are not at your regular card shows, good luck to you also.

Idferg - Forgive my novice ignorance, but just what the heck is "turn on my PM?" I'll get in contact with you soon.

BarkusD - I will check out your website sometime this week. Thanks for the link and reply.

I can see this is going to take some time and a whole lot more patience than I originally thought. I genuinely appreciate all the encouragement, advice and replies. I will be checking back often and will get in contact with those of you who have offered assistance. Thanks again and I will keep you posted to the progress of this.

Mike
  • Options
    I just saw this posting.

A while back I had started work on a PSA 9 graded 1970 set, and then started work on other things.

If you would be interested, drop me an email and I will send you a list of what I have available. If memory serves me right it is maybe 70 cards....I think.

I would just be looking to get what I have out of them, if you would be interested, let me know.

rruth@comcast.net

Thanks
    Rob Ruth
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I have a Munson RC PSA 8 (no qualifiers). I could sell for $175 .
    Email me at gregmo32@aol.com if interested...
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    RangermanRangerman Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Hi Weekendhacker----- I am a 1970 Topps Wash. Senators team collector. I have ten 8's and one 7--- extras for trade or sale; #'s 14; 127; 328; 389; 420; 439; 550; 577; 697; 711 PSA's 8. Best of luck--Tony
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    Rangerman,

I have 3 of those, need the rest. Don't need 127, 550 & 577. Send me a PM and we can work out the specifics. Thanks
  • Options
    Weekend Hacker----- PM sent---- Thanks--Tony
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    I have about 700 PSA-8's and 9's; breaking up a set. I will PM you.
    Dave C.
  • Options
    Rangerman, I could use the 127, 550, and 577 in PSA 8. Please email at: bosko56@charter.net

Thanks, Stan
  • Options
    Don't forget about this lot in the current Mastro auction.

Dave C. - pay attention - imageimage

Chris
  • Options
    ChrisKK - I wish I had that kind of jack laying around, I think I'd be interested in something a little more vintage than 1970 Topps.

gregmo32 - I just picked one up last week, but thanks for the offer.

Still working and making slow progress, only 500 or so cards to go.
  • Options
    Seeking any and/or all of the the following 1970 Topps cards (98 in all) in PSA 8 or better:

2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 13, 17, 18, 23, 37, 39, 41, 50, 52, 53, 59, 76, 77, 78, 79, 84, 87, 89, 92, 96, 97, 99

103, 106, 108, 115, 123, 126, 133, 144, 182, 196, 199

216, 232, 233, 235, 239, 246, 247, 253, 262, 264, 272, 289

301, 320, 329, 336, 369, 379, 386, 397

424, 430, 461, 462, 464, 465, 467, 468, 469, 471, 476, 479, 480, 481, 484, 486, 489, 496, 497

503, 506, 515, 518, 520, 521, 523, 525, 526, 531, 533, 536, 540, 543, 586, 590

628, 659, 661

Most of the cards are commons, there are some postseason cards and a few of the hard to find all-star cards. Willing to either trade or purchase outright. Will entertain any offer. Due to the volume here, I would want to purchase no less than 15-20 cards per transaction to keep shipping costs to a minimum. Thanks for looking at this post and if you have something you are willing to sell/trade, reply to this post or send me a PM.

Rangerman, thanks again for the cards!
  • Options
    Mike---You are very welcome!!! Best of luck and I'll post or PM if I have future 8's--Tony
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)