Home Sports Talk

Bonds - done?

perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just heard Barry made statements that he is playing with bone chips in his elbow and that he will play through it until his arm blows up. His response when asked what he will do was " I quit, I'm done"

I know he is off to a slow start but with looming legal troubles and playing under fire from the press Im starting to think he might not even pass Ruth.

Comments

• AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I heard them say if they have to operate to remove them, he said he'd quit then.

I find it convenient that with all the new problems (perjury indictment pending, baseball investigating, his horrific non-steroid numbers) suddenly he has this condition.

I say good riddance and don't let the door hit ya on the way out, Barry.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya I should have written it differently about his quiting statement, I think he's definately throwing the bone spurs out there for a safe out and you are correct about it being very convenient all of a sudden. I watched highlights on sportscenter the other night and he hit the ball and stood in the box watching the flight of the ball..........only to reach the wall.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Link

<< <i>Bonds told MLB.com that he has "10 to 12 bone chips floating" in his left elbow, which he revealed is swollen to "almost twice the size" of his other elbow.
    "I'm going to keep playing until it blows up," Bonds told MLB.com. "If I have to have a procedure, then I'm done. Finished. That would be it."

This health issue came just a day after it was revealed that a federal grand jury is investigating whether Bonds committed perjury when he testified in 2003 that he never used steroids. >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    I hope he hits 7 homers in the next week. then he can call it quits. lol
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See ya Barry! I won't shed a tear to see all of the cheaters leave the game. Hopefully the young generation coming now combined with the straight guys of the CHEATING era will see baseball to a better place.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>I hope he hits 7 homers in the next week. then he can call it quits. lol >>

That would be the worst thing that could happen - the best is he quits right now, and they put an asterisk next to his HR total.
    That would be the worst thing that could happen - the best is he quits right now, and they put an asterisk next to his HR total.

Then why not put an asterik on every player and every record and every world series won since 1988 when canseco admitted to taking it. and they also said 80% of the league was on it!

I am not a black man... but this is just out of hand what they are doing to bonds. why bc he was the best ever before he took them.. then he decided to get with the program and take them and it made him a baseball super superstar?

How everyone is pinning this on 1 man bc he was about to break a record? bullsh$t if you ask me.

ok im a mets fan.. piazza since roids been talked about downhill.. bagwell ditto mcgwrie left. look at paul lo duca 25 hr's in 2002 most ever never even came close any other year.

i could add more. pitchers hmm kerry wood and prior always hurt now? you want to blame somebody blame uper management they knew what was going on! DONT BLAME BARRY BONDS.... YES HE IS AN A$$HOLE TO THE MEDIA BUT THIS IS CRAZY!

<< <i>Then why not put an asterik on every player and every record and every world series won since 1988 when canseco admitted to taking it. and they also said 80% of the league was on it!
    >>

Every record, every series? Come on now...who said 80% of the league was on it?

<< <i>I am not a black man... but this is just out of hand what they are doing to bonds. why bc he was the best ever before he took them.. then he decided to get with the program and take them and it made him a baseball super superstar? >>

He was a great player before, but he brought this on himself. He could have easily went out and been gracious without trying to artifically extend his career. But when you show up at training camp at THIRTY FIVE YEARS OLD bigger than you've ever been before, you're begging to get busted.

<< <i> How everyone is pinning this on 1 man bc he was about to break a record? bullsh$t if you ask me. >>

What better way to get kids off this stuff than to bust the biggest guy in the game? How deep an effect does it have getting Juan Pierre sitting out for 10 days? Right, NONE. Busting Bonds and getting him kicked out? That sends the message to everyone 'if they can catch Bonds, they can get ANYONE'.

<< <i>ok im a mets fan.. piazza since roids been talked about downhill.. bagwell ditto mcgwrie left. look at paul lo duca 25 hr's in 2002 most ever never even came close any other year.

i could add more. pitchers hmm kerry wood and prior always hurt now? you want to blame somebody blame uper management they knew what was going on! DONT BLAME BARRY BONDS.... YES HE IS AN A$$HOLE TO THE MEDIA BUT THIS IS CRAZY! >>

Don't blame the game who injected them into his body? Huh? What did I miss here? Management didn't go to Bonds and tell him 'hey bud, you better juice up!' He CHOSE to do it, just like Raffy, and whoever else did. They have to now live with the stigma of being known as cheats, liars, and frauds.

This isn't just about busting bonds - this is about everyone sending a message that by busting bonds, they can get YOU for cheating, too.
    Management didn't go to Bonds and tell him 'hey bud, you better juice up!'

Still waiting on canseco's 2nd book about this! that statement remains to be seen. and i believe yes there was pressure from trainers other players gm's etc.. to take the juice so you could keep your paycheck.

dont worry stivck around it will all come out in the wash..

another thing why does football get a bill of pass on this subject? congress was about to do something but it got swept under the rug real fast?

and axtell this isnt gonna get kids to stop.. just bc they got to bonds. maybe it will help but it wont stop it.

How deep an effect does it have getting Juan Pierre sitting out for 10 days?

so if your not big it doesnt matter? so its ok for those guys to take it?
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭
    I for one will not be sad to see Bonds go. I dont care if his excuse is his elbow, his bum knees, or the pressure due to steroids. Face it, Bonds is BAD FOR BASEBALL! And to have him surpass Ruth would be as much of a crying shame. Not because I am a Yankees fan but because of what Bonds has done.
    If Ken Griffey Jr was the one to surpass Ruth, I would be right there in the front of the crowd cheering him on to do it.

<< <i>
    How deep an effect does it have getting Juan Pierre sitting out for 10 days?

so if your not big it doesnt matter? so its ok for those guys to take it? >>

No, but other than Pierre being the first to get his 10 days, who cared he got busted?

Now, throw out Bonds FOR LIFE (as he should), and how big of news would that be? You honestly think if Bonds got tossed out on his rear, that wouldn't make EVERYONE sit up and say 'hey I can lose my career for this?'

axtell when did piere get busted? i dont think he ever has?

and no bonds getting busted isnt gonna stop kids from trying to make the nfl or the nba nhl etc..

why did that get swept under the rug so fast? nfl to powerful? thats what i think!

hate bonds all you want i do also. but the way this is being handled is sick! plain and simple he can pull the race card. and im sure he will.

that will hopefully shut half the media up that never even played a game of any sports in there life.

<< <i>axtell when did piere get busted? i dont think he ever has? >>

My bad, I knew it was a small guy from florida, it was tampa bay's sanchez...oops.

<< <i> and no bonds getting busted isnt gonna stop kids from trying to make the nfl or the nba nhl etc.. >>

I know of course there will be some who still try, but I can't help but think it will dissaude a hell of a lot more from trying it than if it was some nobody getting busted.

<< <i>why did that get swept under the rug so fast? nfl to powerful? thats what i think! >>

NFL has the most stringent testing in all of sports...Tagbliabue was there (like the other commissioners) to comment on what his league has been doing to dissuade steroid use. It was swept aside (not under the rug) because of the severity of the penalties for testing positive and for the strict nature of testing.

<< <i> hate bonds all you want i do also. but the way this is being handled is sick! plain and simple he can pull the race card. and im sure he will. >>

Of course he will...its par for his course to place the blame anywhere but where it belongs - on his shoulders. And as far as persuing Bonds, who else should they go after? Sosa and McGwire are out of baseball, Palmiero's already been busted...he's the last of the steroid boys left, and the biggest fish of them all. You say they are going after him with everything...that's what they do to the biggest crooks. Was Al Capone unfairly targetted when he was being pursued and ultimately busted for 'tax evasion'? It's much like Bonds...you catch the biggest fish, and all the little fish will fall in line.

<< <i>that will hopefully shut half the media up that never even played a game of any sports in there life. >>

And what difference does it make if media members never played a game? I am sure John Clayton (of ESPN NFL coverage) never played a game of football, but does that somehow take away his ability to cover football?

• Of course he will...its par for his course to place the blame anywhere but where it belongs - on his shoulders. And as far as persuing Bonds, who else should they go after?

CLEMENS!!!!!!!!!
  • Is there a way to detect the cream and the clear nowadays? If there is, is MLB testing for those now or does it need approval from the player's association before they test?

Bonds benefitted from roids. He has good hand-eye coordination. He turned flyballs into homeruns. If a player don't have good hand-eye coordination I think roids will be useless.

Downside: his body is breaking down now.

Yeah what about clemens? was he ever tested?

RIP Snow
    It would be interesting to really know if Clemens ever took steroids. At his age, he still hasnt broken down. A few years back I was watching a special with him and he went through his workout routine...very very intense! Would it be beneficial for a pitcher to do steroids? I would think muscle bulk would hinder the pitching motion.
    The biggest benefit of steroids for MLBers is the ability to bounce back from injuries faster, and the ability to sustain a higher level of performance all year, where non-users begin to tire, and wear out, the juicers keep going strong.

I would think those steroids would be legal because they can be prescribed by doctors...steroids to help heal injuries more quickly that is.

But I can understand how taking steroids the way they have been can be of benefit. I guess if a pitcher wanted to take steroids it would be smaller doses? different type of steroid? I dont know enough about steroids to make those conclusions...and I guess Im not interested enough to research it either.
  • I think if he lasts through this season he'll retire afterwards. From the injuries to the scruntinies he's under nowadays, add that to his age, and the fact that he's not what he was(No 40 year old slugger is!). I think he'll have farandaway his worst professional season, finishing around .260; 10 HRs, 58 RBIs.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff

• << <i>It would be interesting to really know if Clemens ever took steroids. At his age, he still hasnt broken down. >>

As for Bonds, he overused steroids. I read somewhere (not sure if those came from the book) that Bonds wants to get another dose even if it's not time to get one. Sort of like that story.

He has bone chips on his elbow? Why? He has those armor (that makes him fearless of getting hit) wrap around his arms and forearm when he bats. roids, roids, roids.

He'll probably quit once he pass Babe Ruth's record.

RIP Snow
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares? Not me.

If he does break Ruth's and/or Aaron's records, put an asterisk by his name if but only if he is formally (i.e. after a baseball inquiry with evidence, witness and crossexamination) found to have used steroids.

IMHO if his body breaks down any further, yet he still wants to try for 756 home runs, we will be seeing him in an Angels uniform. For those who desire to see him hit 756, it is too bad that he had to miss most of last year. If he had played the entire year, he would may well be sitting at 745-750 home runs already and he would be a lock to pass 755 this year.
  • DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭
    He is subject to perjury for his "false" comments at The MLB streriod hearings a few years back. He is bailing....get it ? He is gone before it wrecks whatever is left of his money producing "image." He is a disgrace to the game.
    Proud of my 16x20 autographed and framed collection - all signed in person. Not big on modern - I'm stuck in the past!
  • A disgrace to the game, please this game and its history is filled with much more unsavory charecters then some cheater with a big ego.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He is subject to perjury for his "false" comments at The MLB streriod hearings a few years back. He is bailing....get it ? He is gone before it wrecks whatever is left of his money producing "image." He is a disgrace to the game. >>

Now don't get me wrong.....I believe he's a cheater as well as a buttload of others but this is nothing more than a witchhunt by the press and by Selig to try and salvage HIS reputation as commissioner. He knew this crap was going on and like my granny always said....wants to close the barn door after the horses get out.

What happened to Raffy and his alleged perjury???

I see all of this eventually leading to nowhere and to Selig's demise.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Why do people continue to bring up Clemens with steriods?

A HUGE crack down last year and what does he do? Compiles the lowest ERA and would have won the Cy Young had the 'Stros not been shut out in +/- 8 of his games.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    The perjury charges stem from the BALCO trial. His claims there were he never 'knowingly' took steroids.

The perjury charges against Raffy were dropped because they couldn't determine if he took charges before he took the stand, wagged his finger at congress, and said he never took them.

If it were up to me I'd throw the whole lot of them out, and put their 'records' in a seperate book. No HoF for them, no involvement in baseball, banish them from the face of the game.

They'd have to place some bets in order to be banished.image
  • DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭
    Whatever the cause, he's gonna duck out before his steroid use comes to the forefront. He is a disgrace to the game. I say this not because of his juicing, but because of his historic insolence to the game, the press and the fans that idolized him. F-him.
    Proud of my 16x20 autographed and framed collection - all signed in person. Not big on modern - I'm stuck in the past!

<< <i>They'd have to place some bets in order to be banished.image >>

But make sure you place the bets AFTER you stop playing, because that's somehow affecting the game.

Bonds is going to make the hall of fame while Rose sits out...justice?

• ^^Rose will get in once Selig is out of the commish office.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff

<< <i>

<< <i>They'd have to place some bets in order to be banished.image >>

But make sure you place the bets AFTER you stop playing, because that's somehow affecting the game.

Bonds is going to make the hall of fame while Rose sits out...justice? >>

exactly Axtel. Rose is getting the complete shaft.

I wouldn't be surprised if all of this backfires on Selig when it all comes to a head.