Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

PCGS Comes Thru Again

A few months ago, I upgraded the Trade Dollar in my typeset from a better date PCGS MS63 to a better date PCGS MS64. While my MS63 was a nice coin with gold toning, it also had a large scratch in the obverse field. Because of the scratch I was unable to sell it even through a major dealer, and even at a discount. So, I sent to PCGS under the guaranteed regrade program, indicating that I thought the coin was probably correctly graded technically, but that it didn't seem to be marketable as an MS63. Without arguement, PCGS agreed, and purchased the coin from me at a very fair price. This is an example of why I pretty much only buy PCGS material. I have not has as good luck in these kinds of cases with some other services. PCGS, thank you for the outstanding customer service.

Greg S.

Comments

• Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Great to see someone give PCGS the props they deserve!!! image
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Good story, good action by PCGS
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    I've still been waiting since July for pcgs to come through for me. Hopefully it'll be worked out.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "PCGS Comes Thru Again"

Operative word in that sentence being AGAIN. They have frankly never failed in the past decade I have worked with them in handling collector problem coins.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    What about that ms67 69-d Lincoln with a fingerprint?
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Cool !!
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin!!!!

I have a problem with PCGS customer service!!!

You will all howl on the floor with this problem!!!!

I can't seem to get PCGS to give me a better price than $600 for my 55 MS-60 1906 $20 in the world series of trading!

Look at the price!!! The AU's go for $780 and even the real low circs go for more as well!!!

So now PCGS is dropping the count from 55 that I bought at $600 each three weeks ago to 52!!!!!

So now a MINUS THREE (-3) are available!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you help???????

Thanks,

Oreville

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    I also could give pcgs a list of prices that should be updated. Are they allowing that? It'd be an obvious conflict of interest, right?
  • Options
    "What about that ms67 69-d Lincoln with a fingerprint? "

What about it?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Didn't you get pcgs to downgrade it, but since it was pop 1 or 2 at the time, and there was no record of a sale, pcgs gave a very unfair low offer?
  • Options
    "Didn't you get pcgs to downgrade it, but since it was pop 1 or 2 at the time, and there was no record of a sale, pcgs gave a very unfair low offer?"

Not that I am aware of. The collector I did that for I believe was very happy at the outcome of that situation. Rick Montgomery handled the deal for PCGS and was fair. BUT, OF COURSE, WHATEVER WAS PAID 4-5 YEARS AGO ON THAT SITUATION WOULD BE CONSIDERED LOW TODAY as there really was virtually no MS Memorial Cent market at the time. MUSTANGMAN was a pioneer of that coin series - a great guy I miss reading posts from.

Wondercoin

• Options
    Yeah, Mustangman's the one who told me about the coin. He wasn't too happy with pcgs and the coin still remains somewhere in its ms67 holder.
  • Options
    THAT'S THE PROBLEM LR WITH KNOWING BITS AND PIECES OF A STORY YOU HAD NO INVOLVEMENT IN WHATSOEVER (BACK WHEN RICK MONTGOMERY WAS IN CHARGE AT PCGS NO LESS) AND THEN USING HEARSAY INFORMATION TO BACK UP YOUR POSITION. ALL WITHIN A POSITIVE THREAD NO LESS. NOT REALLY ALL THAT APPROPRIATE I BELIEVE.

WONDERCOIN
  • Options
    Maybe I don't know the whole story but I do know a collector was unhappy with the outcome.
  • Options
    First I've heard of it (barring middle age really having set in). Little chance of hearing Rick Montgomery's side of the story - wouldn't you say.

Wondercoin image
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    After reading a post to this thead, all I can say is "wow"