Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who is worse under pressure than A-rod?

Yeah, the guy puts up big numbers every year. But last night was a perfect example of how he plays - 1-4 with guys in scoring position with no RBIs and missed several opportunities to extend or retake the lead. When he came up in the ninth with 2 on and 2 out I would have bet my life on a weak grounder to short, which is exactly what happened... Yeah he hits the home run on opening day, up 3 of course... I don't know of any other "superstar" who gets so many of his stats cheaply, except for maybe the now retired Sosa...

Comments

• Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    Well.. it's not baseball... but Peyton Manning is one of the biggest choke artist of all time too. I'm a native Hoosier and big Colts fan, but DAMN I WISH HE'D WIN A GAME WHEN IT COUNTS!

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭✭
    Armando Benitez. Guy has blown more huge games than any pitcher I have ever seen.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    This was said about Karl Malone during the years they were trying to beat the Bulls...
  • Options
    Worst Scott Norwood, Bill Buckner, Donnie Moore,

Best , Adam Vinateiri, Papi Ortiz, Jack Morris, Kirby Puckett, David Cone, Jeter is not bad either
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Worst Scott Norwood, Bill Buckner, Donnie Moore,

Best , Adam Vinateiri, Papi Ortiz, Jack Morris, Kirby Puckett, David Cone, Jeter is not bad either >>

To put Norwood in the worst is unfair, it was like a 47 yard FG!
  • Options
    Pucketts game 6 heroic's in the WS are legendary
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Barry Bonds hasn't exactly torn 'em up in the post-season.
  • Options
    Norwood's choke will go down as one of the worst ever, because of the stage it was done.
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    Bonds was the first one that came to mind for me. I'm not on the Let's-Hate-Barry bandwagon, but as a long-time Pirates fan, Barry really likes to stink it up in the playoffs.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭
    Barry just stinks.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Arod has and always will be great at padding his numbers when the game isnt on the line. Nobody else can be counted on more for hitting a 3 run home run when his team is already winning big. In his defense though, there are 8 other supposed big players in that lineup who did nothing last night. It is the same story as last year, leaving runners on base all day and Mussina not being able to hold a lead that was handed to him twice. What gets me more last night was Torre bringing in Proctor instead of Rivera in the 9th. What is he waiting for ? Did it become a rule that your best pitcher, even if he is a closer, cant pitch in a tie game ? Is Torre saving him for october ? It is a joke. Maybe one of the 5 other major league managers on the Yankees coaching staff could have helped him out with that one.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    George Brett was probably the best clutch player of all time. 1985 kind of exemplifies how great he was. They were in a battle for the division title against the Angels and Brett pretty much put the Royals on his back in the final two weeks and they won the division. Then in the playoffs I believe they fell behind 3 games to 1 against Toronto and again he refused to let the team lose, and he carried them. Then he followed with a great world series.

And of course this in 1980, when the Royals finally beat the Yankees for the A.L. Pennant.

"Brett steps in, Gossage ready, the pitch, swing and a high fly ball, deep right field, there she goes, HOME RUN, HOME RUN by Brett and the Royals lead 4-2. George Brett hit it in the upper deck off Gossage and the Royals lead." -longtime Royal announcer Fred White's call, Oct. 10, 1980

"I don't know how hard I threw it. I just know the ball went out a lot faster than it went in." - Goose Gossage
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Different sport, but when I think of choke, I think of Mike Vanderjagt. Even more so than his high profile "ex-teammate".
  • Options

<< <i>What gets me more last night was Torre bringing in Proctor instead of Rivera in the 9th. What is he waiting for ? Did it become a rule that your best pitcher, even if he is a closer, cant pitch in a tie game ? Is Torre saving him for october ? It is a joke. Maybe one of the 5 other major league managers on the Yankees coaching staff could have helped him out with that one. >>

This was my other pet peeve about last night. Farnsworth could have even gone another guy or 2 in the ninth, IMO. Proctor came in and gave up an immediate walk on 4 horrible pitches that should have been enough for Torre to yank him (and I agree he should have been no where near the game in the 1st place - I'd only pitch him up or down 5 runs) but ARod just bugs the hell out of me. Has he ever come through for the Yankees in a big spot(not that game 2 is that huge, either, but I'm pretty sure this won't be the last time)? That huge salary and those gaudy numbers just make me ill every time I see a weak grounder in a clutch situation like last night...

On the whole, I thought Jeter and dirty Damon had good games, Damon nearly took the lead in the ninth with that top of the wall double, and Moose pitched well til around 100 pitches, like always..
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    Bode Miller!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    1998 Vikings.
  • Options
    back in the day, pitchers did not want to see eddie murray late in the game, especially with the bases juiced.
    this question also reminds me of a great pinch hitter who was clutch late in the game by the name of "the crow" terry crowley. as you can see i am a little biased with the O's. but if i was a pitcher right now, i would not want to face david ortiz!!!!

smallstocks- you are right on benitez!!!! i'm surprised he hasnt retired from wiplash yet!!
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    I may be too young or just an idiot, but who is Scott Norwood?
    Travis
  • Options

<< <i>I may be too young or just an idiot, but who is Scott Norwood? >>

buffalo bills kicker who choked in the super bowl with seconds left ...i want to say 1991
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I may be too young or just an idiot, but who is Scott Norwood? >>

buffalo bills kicker who choked in the super bowl with seconds left ...i want to say 1991 >>

Oh, thank goodness. I was only 10 then. For a second there I though I might really be an idiot.
    Travis
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What gets me more last night was Torre bringing in Proctor instead of Rivera in the 9th. What is he waiting for ? Did it become a rule that your best pitcher, even if he is a closer, cant pitch in a tie game ? Is Torre saving him for october ? It is a joke. Maybe one of the 5 other major league managers on the Yankees coaching staff could have helped him out with that one. >>

This was my other pet peeve about last night. Farnsworth could have even gone another guy or 2 in the ninth, IMO. Proctor came in and gave up an immediate walk on 4 horrible pitches that should have been enough for Torre to yank him (and I agree he should have been no where near the game in the 1st place - I'd only pitch him up or down 5 runs) but ARod just bugs the hell out of me. Has he ever come through for the Yankees in a big spot(not that game 2 is that huge, either, but I'm pretty sure this won't be the last time)? That huge salary and those gaudy numbers just make me ill every time I see a weak grounder in a clutch situation like last night...

On the whole, I thought Jeter and dirty Damon had good games, Damon nearly took the lead in the ninth with that top of the wall double, and Moose pitched well til around 100 pitches, like always.. >>

I don't have a problem with Torred using Proctor. He's got to find out what these guys can do, and a way to do that is to put them in big situations. Better to find out now than September.
  • Options
    Career: Pitching | Fielding
    SEASON TEAM G GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB SO W L SV HLD BLSV ERA
    2004 NYY 26 0 0 0 25.0 29 18 15 5 14 21 2 1 0 2 -- 5.40
    2005 NYY 29 1 0 0 45.2 46 32 30 10 17 36 1 0 0 0 -- 6.05

Proctor hasn't shown much over the last couple years - apart from a couple decent innings last year in the ALDS, last night is pretty representative of his career. He's 29, I'd be surprised if he suddenly "got it"
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Michigan's Chris Webber, any Florida State kicker against any Miami team, Greg Norman at the Masters, etc.

I'd be really surprised to know if, statistically, A-rod is that much worse than anyone else in a given situation......say when your team is tied or behind and there are runners on base. It's more than likely just a mindset a fan gets into when rooting for a specific team.

I could be wrong, I usually am.

shawn
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>Career: Pitching | Fielding
    SEASON TEAM G GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB SO W L SV HLD BLSV ERA
    2004 NYY 26 0 0 0 25.0 29 18 15 5 14 21 2 1 0 2 -- 5.40
    2005 NYY 29 1 0 0 45.2 46 32 30 10 17 36 1 0 0 0 -- 6.05

Proctor hasn't shown much over the last couple years - apart from a couple decent innings last year in the ALDS, last night is pretty representative of his career. He's 29, I'd be surprised if he suddenly "got it" >>

Then you are looking at the prospect of pitching Rivera for two innings (9th and 10th). Maybe Torre doesn't want to do that to Mo right now. If Mariano pitches the 9th, you would probably have Proctor in the 10th so you are looking at the same situation anyway. I'm not sure that Mariano will have as much in his tank this year as previous years.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    greg norman...

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Tony LaRussa-managed teams.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    top 8th, 4-4 game, sheffield on 2nd, ARod strikes out...shocking.. Not sure if I'm watching tonights game or a replay of last nights...
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    jlb, you beat me to it. I think we can look forward to this all year.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭

Yeah, let's trade Arod for Bill Mueller!

Maybe we can talk Scott Brosius into lacing them up again!

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    This post smacks of selective memory... there has to be numbers out there showing his average with runners in scoring position, or when the team was behind, or during the playoffs. I think somebody brought up a point about a lot of "clutch" performances falling perfectly within the bounds of statistical variation awhile ago; as somebody who's studied his fair share of econometrics, it makes sense to me...
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options

<< <i>there has to be numbers out there showing his average with runners in scoring position, >>

ok, here's 2004

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    Bases Empty 155 311 18 86 15 1 18 18 42 69 0 0 .277 .373 .505 .878
    Runners On 150 290 94 86 9 1 18 88 38 62 28 4 .297 .378 .521 .898
    RISP 131 157 79 39 4 1 8 66 24 33 10 2 .248 .346 .439 .785
    RISP w/2 Outs 73 68 25 14 3 1 4 23 9 17 3 0 .206 .308 .456 .764
    Bases Loaded 32 12 20 2 1 0 0 10 1 2 0 0 .167 .188 .250 .438

Nice .206 Avg. with RISP w/ 2 outs... hey at least he was at .248 with RISP and less than 2 outs..

• Options
    Career regular-season AVG: .307
    Career post-season AVG: .305

Career regular-season OBP: .385
    Career post-season OBP: .393

Career regular-season SLG: .577
    Career post-season SLG: .534

Statistics from http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/R/alex-rodriguez.shtml

Well, seems like the perceived post-season ineffectiveness doesn't hold up under statistical scrutiny.
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options
    sure, let's see post season averages when his team is less than 3 runs up or down, or lets see some postseason stats with RISP. His psotseason stats are just like his regular season ones - inflated and worthless...

overall numbers don't mean much when you never come through in the clutch and you never win anything.
  • Options
    AlfiewtAlfiewt Posts: 337
    Arod 2005:

By Situation------AB-----R-----H-------2B-------3B-------HR------RBI-----BB------HBP-----SO------SB-----CS-----AVG----OBP-----SLG------OPS
    None On---------300----27---101----17--------1--------27-------27------45-------8-------65-------0--------0----.337----.436----.670-----1.106
    Runners On-----305----97----93------12------0---------21------103-----46-------8--------74------21-------6----.305----.406----.551-----.957
    RISP--------------186----80----54-------9-------0----------9-------77------34-------6--------52-------5-------1----.290----.410-----.484-----.894
    RISP, 2 out------86-----22-----26------3--------0----------5-------38------17------2--------26-------1--------0----.302----.429----.512------.941

I wouldn't say he's that bad w/ RISP, but he does seem to be better with none on.