Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can anyone tell me what this is???

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    from Turkey. gold bullion issues. listed in Krause, at the end of the Turkey section. (at least in my old 1996 edition they are listed)
    I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    chaching!! -KM#874. This one has a mintage of only 619 and a little over an ounce of gold. -Dan
  • Options
    (your reverse picture is upside down)

25 kurush = 1.7540g (.0517 oz AGW) mintage = .035
    50 kurush = 3.5080g (.1034 oz AGW) mintage = 0.15
    100 kurush = 7.0160g (.2069 oz AGW) mintage = 0.77
    250 kurush = 18.0400g (.5319 oz AGW) mintage = 0.65
    500 kurush = 35.0800g (1.0338 oz AGW) mintage = 619 pcs.
    I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang. I didn't know what it was when I was pricing a collection. I bought the whole thing for around 1200 but didn't offer anything for this coin. It's a little smaller than a quarter and very thin. I thought it was a token or just junk so he threw it in for free. This was over a year ago (I bought two ounces of gold in the collection for 800) so I can't fix it since I don't know the seller.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    So you wont mind selling it to us for a 5% mark up, is that what you meant Dave?
    Collecting cleaned, scratched, scraped, AT and ugly POS coins for over 2 years now!
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So you wont mind selling it to us for a 5% mark up, is that what you meant Dave? >>

Its already on ebay at a penny....SSP
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. image

If you were ever wondering what a "toughra" (the ornate "signature", such as on Ottoman coins) would look like if you could read Arabic, that reverse design is pretty close. It's actually their attempt to make a toughra out of the words "Turkiye Cumhuriyeti" in the Western alphabet.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>chaching!! -KM#874. This one has a mintage of only 619 and a little over an ounce of gold. -Dan >>

"...it's a little smaller than a quarter and very thin."

So it doesn't sound like an ounce of gold, then. Perhaps a quarter of an ounce, or less, depending on how thick it is.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Then it would be the 50 kurush coin featuring Kemal Ataturk and containing .1034 of an ounce of gold with 15,000 minted in 1961. Krause '06 lists it at $65 in Unc.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    Precisely. These are called monnaie de luxe, a bit larger, thinner and more ornamental than their normal gold coins. The Krause value in Brad's post above sounds just about right. These were and still are very popular candidates for piercing and use as jewelry by the women,who often wear them at belly dancing shows etc. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    shoot. Im not touching that thing if DNADave has been using it to bellydance with image
  • Options
    Love the ornate design around it.