Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone ever get a phone call from eBay??? Scam??

I have had several calls on my caller ID from 1 866 3173229 showing "out of area" and picked it up last night with this person saying he was from Ebay and had a direct line that I could call for any service issues. He said that I would get a message listing this number and asked if I had a pen and paper to write it down. I said I did not (WOULD NOT!!) and he repeated to look for the message. I did not get a message and thought initially that it was something to do with my return to power Seller (long story happens every 90 days, as I usually sell only for a couple of weeks a quarter and qualify, then nothing for 75-90 days and they take it away). Anyone have that happen?? I am sending it off to notification@ebay.com . Anyone know of a better address at Ebay to report a potential scam???
My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!

Comments

• Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    ya cant trust anyone saying ebay is going to get in contact with you etc etc...ebay is run by a 9 year old kid in his basement im sure of it....lol
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭✭
    I have recieved such calls in the past and they are always scams.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Dunno, but I actually received a message in my eBay message in-box this week that said something similiar. It simply said that eBay was now offering a 800 line for immediate support if I needed it and that I should take the number down for future reference. They also mentioned that I should not give out the number as it is not public. I just shrugged it off.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have had several calls on my caller ID from 1 866 3173229 showing "out of area" and picked it up last night with this person saying he was from Ebay and had a direct line that I could call for any service issues. He said that I would get a message listing this number and asked if I had a pen and paper to write it down. I said I did not (WOULD NOT!!) >>

yeah be careful cuz its dangerous to write down phone numkbers when someone calls you!!
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    i got the call - 1-800-717-ebay is suppose to be direct number for support.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I doublechecked and found the email I got. It's a scam. There was an URL towards the bottom, if you look at the source code or just hold the mouse over it, it points to an external site. The email I got was a scam so I forwarded to eBay for their info.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    When you call the number they are going to ask for your acct ID and then your password to confirm it's really you. Then you're hijacked.
  • Options

<< <i>eah be careful cuz its dangerous to write down phone numkbers when someone calls you!! >>

It is!!! never allow bad juju by your collection!!!
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i> have had several calls on my caller ID from 1 866 3173229 showing "out of area" >>

I have gotten an occasional call from Ebay, but the caller ID always shows up as "Ebay Inc" on my phone. Usually they call to try and sell me some way to upgrade my seller's account.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    The simple solution to any of these potential scams e-mails or questionable phone calls... ignore all of them. What could eBay possibly want that is so important that they need to initiate a call to you? Anything you need through eBay you can do yourself directly through the website. If there is something new and important going on with eBay, it'll be published at the site.

• Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    I've gotten one call from eBay and like ctsoxfan it was a sales pitch to upgrade my eBay store.
  • Options
    I don't know if ebay or ebay scammers been calling. I don't answer phones anymore when there's no name, out of area, unavailable esp when they don't leave a message on the ans machine.

I seldom get ebay scam mails nowadays but paypal scam mails have increased. I don't know if someone's getting into their computer system (paypal and ebay). I have 2 paypal accounts (personal and business). The other day I got scam mail on each saying some "case number". These scam mails address me by my full name (personal account) and business name (business account). I don't know how they obtain my name and business name. This is the 4th scam mail in my personal account that addressed me by my full name. Sent them to paypal and paypal said it's scam.

RIP Snow
  • Options
    The best way you can tell if an email is from Ebay is to only open and read what comes in via the on site message system.